Need VERY basic help to get started

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew Nagy, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Raven_ARG

Raven_ARG Registered

As for the nausea thing. I recommend playing with the "Stabilize Horizon" in display options (i think). Higher values makes the world more static when you drive and makes it better visually. Also, with "Head movement" slider

As for the poor sensation of speed I recommend increasing a little bit the Field Of View (fov). You will get more speed sensation at higher values but less turning sensation because of fish eye effect of the camera view. I use between 40 and 50 on my 32" TV.

Hope this helps you

2. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

So rather than shorten the virtual throttle travel, I shortened its physical travel, and that helped a lot - the throttle feels pretty natural now. And I was able to do a longer session tonight before I started feeling nauseous, so that's progress as well. I'm starting to feel more comfortable driving the sim, but I'm still not getting much sensation of speed, either on acceleration, or braking. It seems like mashing the throttle doesn't speed the car up very much, while conversely, the slightest throttle lift or brake application slows it WAY down, making it challenging to get into a rhythm. Looking back to when you guys were starting out, does any of this sound familiar? Thanks.

3. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

The misjudgment of visual speed sensation is very common to new sim racers. My kids would always take a turn so fast because they thought the car was slow, but they were doing 100+mph! A high FOV helps to see the world go by on the sides, but you feel like driving from the back seat with long arms. You will get used to the lack of visual cues (on low FOV) very quickly. Just trust braking markers.

David O'Reilly likes this.
  4. Comante

Comante Registered

Never raced a real race car, so never had the feeling that acceleration was numb. this is one of the bonus points of being poor.

David O'Reilly likes this.
  5. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

You mentioned you have a triple screen setup, I think as soon as you get it running, you´ll get the proper sensation of speed

6. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I felt like it might be best to hold off connecting the side monitors until I acclimated a bit to the sim, as I've felt the extra sensory input from the side monitors would exacerbate the nausea. Also, people, including on this forum, have mentioned that it is tricky. I'll do a few more sessions with just the center monitor, then I'll connect the side monitors and as usual, as for help about how to properly set them up. Thanks.

Comante likes this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The odd thing about the nasauea, usually those complaints come from the guys wearing VR goggles. Never felt it with a flat single screen.(& I don't have the VR so I can only report what others have written)

8. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Yes, it surprised me as well, for the same reason. Part of it is probably due to the fact that Atlanta Motorsports Part is VERY hilly - it's been described as roller-coaster-like, plus it's very technical - the turns come in very rapid succession, leaving little time to settle between turns. The local track I drive my real track car on, Driveway Austin, is similar, and I've run into several drivers who have had to cut their sessions short because they got car-sick. That has never happened to me, though.

I figured out a big part of the lack of sensation of speed. Because I'm so focused on just staying on the track and figuring out how to judge how much speed the virtual brakes are going to scrub off, I haven't been paying close attention to the speedometer. I made a point to watch it just now, and noticed my car's speed is being limited to 61 mph! No wonder my times are so gawd-awful slow! I looked through the settings, and didn't see anything obvious that might be causing this, but then again, I'm still a serious rookie, so it's probably right under my nose. What do I have to do to remove the speed limiter I'm stuck on? Thanks.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

go to the controls, and then ASSIGN and under the driving tab you should be able to scroll down to pit lane speed limiter.(it was one of the commands we asked you to assign AND we told you to write them all down! :) One point in your favor, MANY users from other sims have jumped into rF2 and come back with the exact same question. I'm talking guys with years under their belt. So don't feel bad. The pit lane speed command would be a good one to assign to a button on your wheel. I have it closest to my right thumb, with radio just inside that.(voice chat to enable some commands via other programs, don't even THINK about that yet!)
    Remember, It is enabled automatically when you get in the car. So don't press the button til you exit the pit lane. And then remember to press it again when you come back to the pits....oh.... and....when you do press that button.... HANG ON!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  10. Comante

Comante Registered

Well, things will definitely come faster without limiter :)

11. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

lol - well, something went wrong when I attempted to assign a key to the pit lane speed limiter - I wrote down the key I assigned to it, but it's showing as EMPTY. I just tried it again, and it didn't accept the key I tried to assign it to, so I attempted to back out of the Assign page, and the screen again went blank, and the game froze up, forcing me to control-alt-delete again to shut down the game. I restarted the game, and this time it let me assign my chosen key to the pit lane speed limiter. So I should be good to go. Your suggestion to assign it to a button on my wheel sounds like to good one - I need to learn how to do that.

Also, I misunderstood what it does - from its description, it sounds like it limits speed in the pits, but apparently, it limits speed everywhere. So if I understand correctly, the speed limiter is automatically on when I start a new session (Race), but as soo as I exit pit lane, I need to press the key I just assigned to the speed limiter, and it will allow me to drive as fast as my car (and my limited talent) will let me. Cool - I'll let everybody know how it worked.

davehenrie likes this.
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Yes it does limit your speed to the regulated limit inside the pit area...BUT... YOU have to turn it off when you reach the racing area AND you need to turn it back on when you enter the pits. This is not a magic bullet...You have to slow down close to the pit lane speed limit before engaging the button. Just racing right up to the speed limit line and hitting the button will only result in a speeding penalty. You have to learn how fast to approach and how soon to brake to enter the pits safely.
    Assigning a function to the wheel buttons is just like a key on your key board. When you click on the pitlane speed option then just press a button on your wheel. It will ask you if you want to replace the old assignment by hitting enter. And you are done.

13. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Woo-hoo! Now THAT was fun - even turned in a few halfway respectable lap times, considering how green I am with the sim, and that I'm still pretty new to Atlanta Motorsports Park, with massive opportunities for further improvement. The nausea is diminishing as well. Maybe the fact that pressing on the loud pedal now gives the expected response has reduced the degree of disconnect between eyes and inner ear. Learning the track with the sim is vastly superior to doing so through videos alone. I get a much stronger sense of the need to create visual cues to find the line through blind turns, of which there are many at AMP. With nearly two months before my 3-day race school at AMP, I will be VERY well prepared. The next steps are:
    - Do a few more sessions to improve the consistency of my laps, and get smoother
    - Turn on the side monitors
    - Activate my Buttkicker transducer. The reviews were great, so I hope this will further improve the realism of the experience. Anybody here have one? Comments or suggestions?
    - Once I'm turning consistently fast laps (with no crashes!), hire a coach to find more opportunities to go faster consistently.
    I am incredibly glad I found this forum. This thread is getting very long, so I think I will do searches to answer questions I have going forward, and start new threads if I can't find answers through my searches.

Raven_ARG and davehenrie like this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Well done Padawan!

15. Comante

Comante Registered

Setup wise I suppose you have one for your car, the default setup usually is a bit understeery and not so racey ... but do I think I'm talking? You surely know how to deal with your car.
    Past this I don't remember if you already received some help to tune your wheel, you should be able to have a comparable sensation to the real car.
    About the track, remember that you will find some differences between the virtual and the real, but surely it will be helpful to shorten your learning and finding good lines.

16. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Thanks. About the only thing I'm noticing at the moment that doesn't seem completely realistic is that it takes very light brake application to slow the car WAY down, but then, the SR3 is a very light car, and I'm a long way from carrying the speeds I should entering the braking zones. I've driven a KTM X-Bow, which is quite a bit heavier than a Radical, but still quite light, and it takes a lot more pedal pressure the slow that car. But any way you slice it, I'm super excited to use my sim to really master AMP, and then go from there.

17. Comante

Comante Registered

As you did for the throttle, you can tune your brake pedal accordingly to best suit your habits, probably your real car need more pressure, so maybe you are stomping the brakes a bit (if your simulator setup is softer). Another thing you can do, is modify the brake pressure in the car settings.
    Another aspect is that probably, being you used to the real things, with all the rattle and the shaking, the simulator feel quite slow in comparison, another further aspect is that REAL ROAD parameters are pretty "empirical" so it is possible that you would feel more appropriate less rubber than "medium". Maybe, something just a bit past GREEN can be appropriate for off season tests.
    Anyway it's a matter of finding the settings that is right for your liking, RF2 is pretty open in this sense.

18. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

OK, more trouble. When I tried setting up my triple monitors, my computer completely locked up (Windows loading error of some kind), and I was unable to recover it, so I took the computer back to the shop I bought it from, and they were able to boot it up. So I brought it back home, hooked everything up, started it, and opened RF2. It forced be to update all my configurations (I think that's what it said - I may have that wrong - whatever it was, there were about 55 items it had to reload), and now, when I go to Race, my track, Atlanta Motorsport Park, and my car, a Radical SR3, are no longer showing, and I can't figure out how to reload them. A bunch of my other assignments also vanished. When I select "All tracks and cars", it brings me to a page with a search window near the lower right-hand corner, but when I type the name of the track (any track, actually), nothing shows up. Hitting the "Select" option near the middle of the screen just takes me back to the previous screen. Very frustrating! How exactly do I bring up the list of track to and cars to select from? I can't for the life of me remember how I did it before. I've noticed other people asking this question as well, so apparently I'm not the only one struggling with what should be a very "front-and-center" feature. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Mitch circled them here: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....basic-help-to-get-started.68634/#post-1056091

(basically, where it shows the current track or car name, click it)

20. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm doing exactly what Mitch said. As I said in my last post, when I select "All tracks and cars", it takes me to a mostly-blank page with a search box near the lower right hand corner, but nothing I enter in the search bar reveals any tracks. I remember going through similar frustration the last time, and I was finally able to find and load Atlanta Motorsports Park, but I can't remember what I did. I guess I was too excited to finally get my track and car loaded that I forgot to write down what I did differently to get it to work.