Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

what exactly do you mean by "somehow vague wheel center feeling"? I'm a Fanatec CSRE owner and in my case FFB feels by far best in rF2 compared to other titles like PC2, AC or iRacing. Couldn't even drive AC cause of massive deadzone at center for many cars (?)

EDIT: in case you too have a problem with a deadzone at center, give "FFB Min Torque" a try and set it higher, which is actually even a paramter in rF2 GUI.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  2. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Thanks

Yes you can link this to deadzone indeed. I set this at zero from the start but many cars dont feel tight enough for my liking

I have done few runs this morning testing adjustment on several cars class and specific FFB parameters, i will share later in details

3. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

ok so I have run some testing this morning.

My FFB in Game is set at 1.0 for per car multiplier, smoothing 4 and Min torque at Zero

I have no problems with the GTE cars (Aston, Ferrari) or cars like the Megane WT. Both deadzone and wheel weight in low/mid/high speed cornering are just fine and I can even rdeuce the per FFB multiplier to 0.8 and having a great driving experience

I have the GT3 pack and this is where problem starts. Actually no, the Aston GT3 is also quite good, similar to the GTE and again I can reduce FFB multiplier without losing feeling at the wheel

But them moving to the R8 or the M3 GT3s then this wheel center feel first, and especially low speed cornering is quite off putting.Its like the FFB was almost gone when taking slow or mid speed corners

Only way to get closer to the Aston feel is to increase the FFB multiplier to at least 1.2 and then the experience is satisfying but I am pretty sure I am clipping (still need to find a tool to check since its not in game built)

The AMG GT3 is really bad for me and I can secind many comments I read in this thread https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/lets-talk-about-the-merc-gt3-ffb.58495/ with heavy kind of unrealistic understeer with lost FFB feeling

With the open wheelers like the F2 or the Formula Renault 3.5, its terrible. Its like my wheel was suddenly dead, very low weight in straights and while cornering, no effect of speed DF at all is happening. I appreciate that in tight corners, the front end would feel very light with such cars but its really unbearable for me.
    and as mentioned above, I dont feel the wheel getting heavier in faster corners where the DF is supposed to act there.

The only open wheeler that is giving me a good feel is the McLaren MP4 13, for whatever reason

I have tried to play with all the FFB parameters i listed in my message yesterday, from the TSPCRACER specific controller json file I created but it has zero effect on the wheel weight, really nothing

Maybe I am not modifying the correct controller file? I can not find any way to adjust FFB in the car files I find in the vehicle folders either

Sorry I dont want my post to sound like a rant, I have really good experience withe quite a few cars but I wonder how I could achieve the same or at least closer level with the ones I am mentioning here.

thanks so much

Oli

4. Comante

Comante Registered

It is widely acknowledged that FFB multiplier should be <1 , and Min. TORQUE >0.

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

And filter = 0 (very important except you have a very bad wheel and old)

Filip likes this.
  6. cabezaspeed

cabezaspeed Registered

Hey guys any one tellme the config for Logitech G29 most considerating the most post provided g27 information , need Controller, json
    and the new driver for windows Logitech HUB not appears the options springs and damper for set. tanks. My experience is like not detect the rear tranction whells and lose control and slipering to much.
    i try with the first sets...FFB multi in 2.0 now is 200% - 5 torq - smothing in 5

7. cabezaspeed

cabezaspeed Registered

Hi you now how find the optiones springs and dampers in Logitech G HUB Profiler

8. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Maybe someone else. I never used G Hub.

9. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Hi,
    I have the G920 which is basically the same as your G29, I also couldn't find settings specific to these wheels, only G27 and older. Following the information provided in this thread I used the wheelcheck program and determined that my G920 had a very linear FFB response curve compared to those I have seen from other wheels in this thread. After experimenting with the min torque setting in rf2, I have mine set to 0.5% as that was as high as I could go before the wheel started to oscillate when stationary or at very low speeds. I have seen people with G27 and older suggesting values as high as 20%, which is way too high for these newer Logitech wheels. A lot of people just presume that the G29/920 are the same internally as the G25 and G27. I have never used the older wheels but based on what I have read and my experiences there is quite a big difference between them. This is further emphasised by people with the older wheels suggesting the smoothing needs turning way up. I have mine set to 4 (default) but it wasn't too rattly on 0. In terms of FFB multiplier I test this using the Sebring track and by doing a few laps avoiding the curbs and I check the amount of clipping using the DAMplugin and Motec i2 Pro. In the Motec software I use the FFB output to generate a histogram. I normally aim for about 1% clipping at which ever end (-100 or 100) has the highest peak. As an example I have the Studio 397 Aston Martin Vantage GTE's FFB Multi set to 80% where as their Corvette C7R GTE is 85%. 200% would give you way too much clipping and you will lose a lot of feeling.

When configuring my wheel in rF2 I could never get the "Detect" button to work until I figured out what was happening. At some point, presumably when the GHUB software replaced the older Logitech software, windows recognises the wheel as a different name. This new name does not match the included profiles in rF2 so it can't load a preset.

The old wheel name and what rF2 would find the profile for is:
    Logitech G920 Driving Force Racing Wheel USB

The new wheel name is:
    Logitech G HUB G920 Driving Force Racing Wheel USB

You could just manually load the old name profile, no difference.

As you said the GHUB software does not allow you to adjust the spring and damper effects or change the FFB strength unlike the older software. Apparently you can change them in the registry, but as suggested in this thread the rF2 controller profile already makes the adjustments via coefficients multipliers (if that the correct term, both are set to 0.1). So I just left them as Logitech intended and hoped that whoever created the G920 profile for rF2 knew what they were doing.

I must say that the G920 wheel that I have been using for the past month is my first experience with a wheel that has FFB, so I am not an expert and I can only give you what I have learnt. So I would be interested to hear what other G29/920 owners suggest.

Mark.

10. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Also why is this thread not stickied?

DrR1pper likes this.
  11. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I really doubt any G920 has anything near linear force output. Also minimum force is not 0,5% unless they fundamentally changed the wheel mechanism

12. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I followed the guide by RrR1pper in the original post, using Wheelcheck.exe to check wheel linearity and these are the results using 200 samples.

[​IMG]

The x axis is "Force" and the y is "Delta X" both converted to percentages.

If I increase the minimum force above 1% the wheel will start to oscillate when stationary. My wheel is new and its a newly manufactured example as it has Xbox series X branding on the box.

Mark

13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

This looks too good to be true. I think No gear or belt driven wheel has such linear response. I also used this tool when I had G27 and had 16% minimum force and graph far from ideal similar tho what other G27 and G29 owners got. Anyway later learned it’s not accurate way of measuring.
    As I said perhaps they changed the wheel mechanism recently, but I think they would advertise such huge improvement everywhere.

14. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Maybe the tests aren't ultimately accurate but you can compare the results with other wheels that have used the same tests. I just followed RrR1pper instructions for checking linearity using the "Step Log 2 (linear force test)" and that's what I got. I then did the "Min force" test and that consistently gave me 0.5% as a result.

If I was to set my minimum force in rF2 to 16%, sitting in the garage would feel like a jack hammer! (slight exaggeration). I can't compare it to the G27 because I have never experienced one. I read the entirety of this thread recently waiting for the tests to be made by g29/920 owners and posted when the wheels were first released, but no one did.

What lead you to believe these test are not an accurate way of measuring?

Mark

Xzanman likes this.
  15. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Sergitroon and DrR1pper like this.
  16. PabloVND

PabloVND Registered

For T300 seems to be linear between 75 and 80 gain and 78 seems to be the sweet spot. Personally I keep all factory defaults on wheel control panel and set Rfactor 2 multiplier to 78 with no minimun force or smoothing required.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I very much doubt they have changed the actual mechanics much, but it's possible updated drivers could be correcting the base response. I would be a little concerned if they tailored the enhancement to suit the wheelcheck test as I consider it flawed for real use (ie hands on the wheel). Would be interesting to see further comparisons between the various Logitech wheels, but also some actual sustained force tests.

The basic linear response wouldn't be unexpected with an electric motor (as is in all wheels), but as you referenced the wheelcheck linear test has to overcome the wheel inertia so you wouldn't usually see a result like that.

@PabloVND for the same reason, I wouldn't consider any particular strength to be more linear when it comes to actual force at the wheel (the type you might be able to feel, when holding the wheel, which is sort of the idea unless you're doing a lot of freewheeling). I run my T500 at full strength and lower the rF2 FFB Mult to reduce clipping. (definitely a good idea when running the wheel at full strength, for heat reasons)

18. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

has someone with a TM wheel tried the new BOOST feature that appeared with a driver update End of last Year?

I am yet to try it myself, just looking for users experience first.

thanks

19. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

spent most of my Japanese Sunday afternoon to test this feature in RF2 and other Sims, it doesn't seem to make a huge deal of a difference vs the BOOST in OFF position

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Didn't see your post earlier, someone asked this in another thread in the last week. I believe the two effects it combines (or otherwise tries to take into account), rF2 only uses 1 of. So I'd expect no change, and I didn't think it did anything myself just from a quick test.

nolive721 likes this.