Can see server, cannot join, button greyed out.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RealGT, Jan 21, 2021.

1. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Hello everyone, rF2 has been a hell of a learning experience. I've got the hand of modmanager and mas2x64. I can now download content, create race events, etc. Thank you to all who have helped and remoted in.

Now I have another couple of questions.
    1. On my remote laptop I can see the server I created. When I try and join I cannot as the button is greyed out. I notice when I set it as a favorite and join I get the error of a version mismatch. I have run steamcmd.exe from a command prompt both on the server PC and the Laptop. Yet the error remains. So not sure it did anything. The exact error is "Client-Server version mis-match: Client 1122 - Server 1123"

2. On the server PC, the game will not see the very same server that the Laptop can see. Obviously the server is running as the laptop can see it. How do you reliably connect to a server from the very same PC that the server is running on?

This is the secret sauce and final hurdle I'm facing to get this project working for rear view mirrors.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I'm baaaack, lol I suspect your server is not up to date, even though the error message says otherwise. OK lets see if your game is up to date FIRST, so navigate to ....Steam/Steamapps and you will see a file called appmanifest_365960.acf Open it with your favourite text editor and on Line 11 is the buildid, it should be 6111435. If it is then the game is up to date. If it's not go to steam and verify game integrity, which should trigger an update.

To check if the server is up to date navigate to C:\Racing\rfactor 2-dedicated\steamapps and you will see a file called appmanifest_400300.acf Open it and on Line 11 the buildid should be 6111439 If it's not run the initial command that you used to install the server, that will update it to the latest. Note: SteamCMD Servers need to be updated manually.

RealGT likes this.
  3. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thanks mate, I'll check it out shortly. I'll report back. :)

4. Bartosz Bińczyk

Bartosz Bińczyk Registered

I have the same problem with some of my league servers atm. It seems that most servers aren't updated to the latest version and as I'm not the admin, all I could do is to revert back to v1122 but steam doesn't give me an option. I can only go back to v1121 but that isn't useful :/

RealGT likes this.
  5. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thanks Goanna,
    The version number is indeed wrong, is this something that will be normal going forward? I don't understand why a normal update using steamcmd doesn't work on these dedicated servers. When you say "initial command" you mean steamcdm.exe right? I ended up running this command

*steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../rFactor2-Dedicated +app_update 400300 +quit*

Also, what is the secret to be able to join my server on the same PC with my Steam account? I still can't see my server from the same PC though I can see it on my remote PC.

Apologies, I've made great strides but there is so much information that a week with this process is still leading to confusion. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  6. lagg

lagg Registered

Because when you create a server with SteamCMD you don't use a Steam account and Steam is the one who updates the programs.

RealGT likes this.
  7. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thanks again, it is now 6111439. So it's updated.

What is the secret sauce to join a server from my Steam account on the same PC the server is hosted? I can now see the server from my remote PC and join but I cannot on the Steam client on the dedicated server PC.

Thanks again guys

8. rand777

rand777 Registered

What works for me is: go into the RF2 subdirectory named 'Launcher' and in there is an executable named something like LaunchRfactor2.exe. When running RF2 on the same machine as the dedicated server you have to use this executable to launch RF2 instead of the normal method.

RealGT likes this.
  9. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Would that be in the steam rF2 or the dedicated server rF2 diretory? Thanks

10. rand777

rand777 Registered

In the steam RF2 directory.

RealGT likes this.
  11. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thanks, already tried that. No workie. :(

Need to be able to launch the steam game while the dedicated server is running.

12. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Start game first, then alt tab and start server.

RealGT likes this.
  13. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Ah yes, apologies that is what I meant. I start the game and a message pops up saying +path is trying to start workshop or something like that. I click ok and the game starts. The server is already running.

But I can't see the server, though the remote PC can see it. Hmmmm

14. rand777

rand777 Registered

I start the dedicated server first which just brings up a dialogue box for me. After it is up and running I then launch RF2 via the launcher directory in the filesystem. I don't launch RF2 using the Steam GUI in case that helps.

RealGT likes this.
  15. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Yup, not launching via steam either, I'm using the shortcut you recommended. But when I launch it automatically launches steam and gives me a message that blah blah +path is trying to run workshop content. I click OK and the game launches. But still can't see the server. But my laptop on the same network can see the server and join. So weird.

16. rand777

rand777 Registered

I remember now using player2 in my command line when I set mine up earlier this year but don't recall if it was required to do that or not. When I'm on my rig later I'll send you the command I use.

RealGT likes this.
  17. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Refresh my memory game and server on the same machine?
    Check your player.json file on both game and server, look for a line that starts “WebUI Port”, if they are both the same, change one, doesn’t matter which.

RealGT likes this.
  18. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Two PCs. One is a desktop (dedicated server machine), one is a laptop(connecting to dedicated server on my LAN)
    The laptop can see the server and I can join and play.
    In order to run the rear view I need to be able to join the Dedicated on the same machine. But the game on the dedicated won't see the server.

Also I'm getting this when launching on the Dedicated machine when launching the game.

I'll look for that json. :)

Attached Files:

19. Goanna

Goanna Registered

ok to get rid of that error message (the +workshopsync one), run steam as admin. Look in your player.json files (both game and server) on the machine that has the server and the game, I reckon the webui ports will be the same and changing one should short out that issue.

RealGT likes this.
  20. RealGT

RealGT Registered

How do I get rid of the prompt for workshop? Changing the json file webui ports? Does it matter how you change them? Do I just change a number? Don't want to destroy anything. LOL