“ are rfactor2 physics broken” video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Yes because this tire behaviour can be seen in almost all the new cars.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Oh, so not in all cars in rF2 then? Good to know.

mantasisg likes this.
  3. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

By all if you mean ALL the old content then ofcourse i don't know.(old content is running on old tire model) but certainly true for all the S397 dlc cars.
    Again you are going off topic, stop trying to hide,mask such things by changing the subject.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

He wasn't changing the subject. It figured right from beginning of this thread that certain properties of cars handling criticised aren't hardcoded, but configurable in cars parameters.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  5. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

That's certainly pertinent, but is it really true? A bit confusing.

Took a video from tha channel you referred too. I think this series of videos might be interesting to take a look at.

Ok, take a look at minute 1:10, how much rotation it seems to have while not losing it. Some things I thought were wrong aren't, but not to say that some instances Rfactor2 allows sliding the car too much.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Man... what the hell ? It is just normal cornering, not exceeding optimum slip angles at 1:10, did you really think the car shouldn't perform like this ?

And regarding of what you quoted me. It is 100% true, it is so true, it is more true than truth itself. Congratulations for getting confused about straightest things possible.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Bruno Gil likes this.
  7. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

It's probably because I started mostly driving on original AC... In AC a corner like that would probably understeer... I wasn't even saying I didn't expect, it was also for some people who might come into Rfactor2 from sims where this sort of rotation doesn't seem possible, as I've already learned about it.

What I mean about it, is if it says detached, why are they still there? It certainly is confusing for people as you obviously see Slip Angel and so many others and author of the video, that say exploits are based on detached ARB... If that's true, then it really isn't based on that and might not be an exploit in that sense...

mantasisg likes this.
  8. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

Finally, someone notices it.

Things is, both @Slip_Angel and @Nieubermesch seem to be diving way deeper than their current understanding of race car dynamics allows them. While in the case of Nieubermesch we can see he acknowledges that and is (somewhat) open minded and trying new things, capable of accepting that what he thought was true, isn't, Slip_Angel... Well, do I need say more? This is why I'm confused seeing people like you, mantas, wasting so much time On this topic

EDIT: diving deeper than ones knowledge allows in itself isn't bad, it's needed if you want to improve actually, but doing it with an attitude like you know everything and everything you know It's right.... You're gonna crash and burn

Nieubermesch likes this.
  9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Nieubermesch Hard to say about AC, I think it is certainly possible in AC, but I never was fully satisfied how AC feels at "neutral steer". I never understood why many people has "understeer" impression about AC, perhaps because Aris made more understeery default setups, to make cars easier.

And oh yes, I misunderstood you. Thats definitely confusing. rF2 garage should never caption antisway as detached when base value is not 0. I would say it is an issue, unless there is some logic of which I am not aware. If I wouldn't be modding physics, I would also think that detached is 0.

Bruno Gil and Nieubermesch like this.
  10. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

That's true, I certainly have learned a lot from this conversation.

Bruno Gil likes this.
  11. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Well, I've heard at the time that high downforce and stiff suspension cars had difficulty at slow corners with grip and I honestly think there is some true to that, as when I came to Rfactor2 I even thought that I was taking slow corners like it was nothing and car just turned as if I was driving my car around.

Oh, also I certainly would get more camber and would help some of those corners I mention, but don't know, after all I don't think AC had chasis flex wich I would think helps with conformation to the road?

Yeah, that was just that that I meant :D

12. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

There's a PS there now. As I was afraid I was a bit to harsh, so I just wanted to clarify that little Part :p

Nieubermesch likes this.
  13. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Certainly agree and I think I've always been second guessing myself at some things so no problem there, totally reasonable accessement ;)

I also have some comments on Ermin video and I also saw some of yours there that matched mine, so if I remember correctly I even came into this topic counter argumenting some of the things said, but not sure :rolleyes:

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am a lot more fascinated by actual oversteer, big oversteer.

Like here in the beginning

It shows how difficult is or can be to catch a high speed slide with aero car. Catched first imperfectly, which caused second smaller oversteer. Note - no tire sounds in this case. And finally almost kissed the wall.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  15. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

Love that channel. There are so many small tips that might seem so irrelevant, but just hearing them sometimes makes something within my brain just.. Click!

mantasisg and Nieubermesch like this.
  16. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I think I saw that. Yeah, I did and that's why I probably say that there is a forgiving state on some instances in Rfactor 2, as I would think to lose an high downforce car and I can sort of drift it when I shouldn't :confused:

mantasisg likes this.
  17. Comante

Comante Registered

Word definitions are often misunderstood, yes "detached" is misleading (detached from what??maybe y the chassis?). On the same vein people see minimum pressure but read "deflated" that drive me crazy. People seem to not understand pressure.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  18. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

The problem with high df cars isn't keeping the slide in itself, as that is sometimes safer than the actual problem: when the tire bites again, it's such a big difference in forces, that it's much easier to send you into a tank slapper the other way around than with no downforce

Nieubermesch likes this.
  19. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Yeah, I get you, but I am referring to those instances where I am with some nice velocity and that tank slapper doesn't come, but don't know.

20. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

If the GT tires do behave like we are starting to think they do, aka you don't lose as much grip with a big slip angle as you should, then the grip difference between too much slip and ideal slip angle is not enough to send you into a tank slapper. So you might be right

Now that I think about it, the forces on the GT cars also seem to build more gradually. I guess they really do have easy mode tires

Nieubermesch likes this.