VR with reverb very low fps and low GPU and CPU

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Manfred Pledl, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Manfred Pledl

Manfred Pledl Registered

I have a big problem with fps performance in VR in this game. Can't get more than 30 fps, according to fpsVR the frametime is over 30ms. GPU usage is about 30-40% CPU 40-50%
    Please can someone help me? It's a reverb and works fine (or nearly fine) in AC; pCars2 and Dirt 2.0 beside some occasional stuttering. Changing graphic mode does not change fps really.
    fpsVR Report:
    App: rFactor2 HMD: HP Reverb VR Headset VR1000-2xxx0 (90.001 Hz, IPD 61.0)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (27.21.14.6089) CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Delivered fps: 29.75 Duration: 18min. Headset was active: 100%
    GPU Frametimes:
    Median: >30 ms
    99th percentile: >30 ms
    99.9th percentile: >30 ms
    frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 0.1%
    CPU frametime:
    Median: 3.8 ms
    99th percentile: >30 ms
    99.9th percentile: >30 ms
    frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 95.5%
    Reprojection Ratio: 0.0% (for Index/Vive/VivePro headsets only)
    Dropped frames: 0 or 0.0% (for Index/Vive/VivePro headsets only)
    Max. SteamVR SS: 100%
    Render resolution per eye: 2208x2160(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 2208x2158)

2. jamesleegte

jamesleegte Registered

For the Reverb 1 or 2 you have a weak set up. You will need to drop steam resolution to around 50% possibly lower and also drop RF2 graphical settings too.
    You really need to upgrade your GPU to a 2080ti, 3080 or 3090. Even with those cards you may be able to push to 70% or 80% in a sim like AMS2.
    The G1 and G2 have so many pixels that need rendering and a card like the 2080 doesn’t have the power to do this in driving sims, especially if you have time progression on, lots of AI or race at dusk and night. Normal games like Moss, Superhot and Pistol Whip your set up is just about fine. For driving sims really you need a 3090 or wait for the 40 series cards.
    I have a Rift S and a Quest 2 on a 2080ti. I play with a 21 AI field, race night to dawn, both graphic settings level 4 and on the Rift S I get zero stutters after T1. With the Quest 2 it’s a constant stuttery mess at 90Hz. This is simply because my 2080ti can’t handle the amount of pixels and refresh rate on the Quest 2 when using fast motion and environment heavy driving sims. If a 2080ti can’t handle a Quest 2, then a 2080 with a G1 or G2 has no chance.
    Half Life Alyx and other normal games look amazing on the Quest 2, but when I launch a driving sim it’s always with the Rift S.
    I won’t be looking at a G2, until probably the 40 series and I see you tubers racing smoothly.
    I hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    atomed likes this.
  3. Manfred Pledl

Manfred Pledl Registered

Many thanks for your very detailed answer. But it does not exactly reflect my problem with rF2. I have 30% - 40% GPU usage with rF2 and low framerates. With AC I drove yesterday with -SS at 150% and good details and 90fps and a GPUusage of 90-95%. OK, this was me alone and no other cars. But AC is using the graphic card to the max. If I use lower settings I get more frames. And honestly it felt great and immersive. But frames in rF2 are always low and ugly to look at too.

4. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Rf2 is badly optimised for VR.
    Similar setup here and it just doesnt utilise the hardware very well at all.
    It took loads of messing around to get it to look nice in the G2, and then every time there is an update, you have to start again.
    Its frustrating, and doesnt seem to get looked at.
    It does vary based on track which is understandable, and its when there are lots of cars on track, it jsut cant seem to spread the load properly.
    Compare it to say PC2 or AMS2, rf2 runs like dog****

5. jamesleegte

jamesleegte Registered

Drop steam to 50% and watch the difference. Forget about GPU and CPU useage. It’s the exact same with the quest 2, it looks like low useage and then people make the assumption of oh the USB C can’t handle the band width which isn’t true. Honestly drop to 50% and watch the difference in FPS.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just for a bit of Clarity in this thread there has been a few Performance Optimisations for VR since it was first introduced in RF2, the way the G2 Renders the display is different to the G1 so SS % will be different.
    For me and my settings (see pic) and the G1 (see Specs) I'm easily running at 100% SS, depending on the Track & #AI I can bump up to 130%.

@Manfred Pledl I would check that AUTO FPS is set to OFF in the Games Menu and that MOTION SMOOTHING is Disabled (try that if not already), you might also want to try reverting back to 457 nVidia Drivers (460s are known to cause a few FPS issues), you should be getting much better performance than what you're stating so something is causing an issue somewhere. (perhaps backup your player.json to another location and let the game create a fresh one too, verify files just in case)

20210119132036_1.jpg

7. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

I would love to know how you are managing to run your system like that and get no stuttering.
    I and many others cannot run this game on higher settings with a G2 and 3080 without. And it doesnt matter what gfx changes you make its the same. As soon as AI or real drivers are on the track, it goes to mush. Even changing headset resolution down makes no odds.
    And Ive tried everything thats been mentioned.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Like I said the G2 Renders things differently, there is a link somewhere explaining it in greater more technical, detail I'll see if I can dig it out. So I can't say for sure what settings you should run with a G2, only advise the nVidia Driver Rollback, turn off all GPU monitoring software and anything else in the background.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Found it, the G2 Render Scaling is different than the G1, so a G1 at 100% is equal to a G2 at 50%:

"The default "100%" resolution setting in SteamVR is more than double the actual resolution of the displays. To correct this, load Steam VR, open the settings and adjust the "Per Eye Resolution" to get it as close to 2160x2160 as possible, around 50% (screenshot not taken with a G2). You can then increase or decrease this figure until most games run well, you can then further refine this for each game individually by clicking the "Per-Application Video Settings" button, allowing you to run some games at a higher or lower resolution to account for how well optimised they are.

To account for lens distortion, a render resolution of 3024x3024 (x1.4 supersampling) may be optimal, but it's unclear at this point exactly how much is needed, so it's worth experimenting to find the ideal trade-off of performance and clarity for you."

10. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Thanks for looking it up. Have actually already done that.
    Ive heard about the driver rollback, but the 30 series doesnt go as far back as that one.
    Maybe there is a driver issue, but it doesnt explain why other sims can run beautifully maxed out with a full grid with rain, night etc when rf2 falls apart.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah that's an odd one, I can run RF2 far far better than ACC and generally it's on Par with AMS2 (even that falls apart with Clouds). iRacing was the best last time I drove that (months ago) and I've not driven AC in years.

Maybe a mix of the G2 + 3xxx series cards is causing some sort of issue with Drivers I dunno, either way with a G1 & 2070Super I'm loving VR with RF2!

Andy Bonar likes this.