[REL] Easy Icon Creator Showroom

Discussion in 'Other' started by redapg, Sep 16, 2020.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

@Corti Didn't i say that it still works? ;) :)

2. Corti

Corti Registered

lol excuse me, devMode its ok :D

3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Man, nevermind...
    I reverted back to the old UI and it worked. The native screenshot-function worked.
    As soon as I go to the new UI, it doesn't. Not when using a different key than F12. It just doesn't work. And I've always talked about ModDev

4. redapg

redapg Registered

OK, i leave you alone then. :)

5. RoWo

RoWo Member

I think it's time for S397 to release a working tool for creating the car icons the easiest way as possible.
    For leagues using the official broadcast overlay it is a must to have this car icons and it takes really much time creating them with workaround methods.
    @Marcel Offermans @Christopher Elliott

6. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Thanks for your hard work with the tools and stuff... Luckily I managed to figure it out... Plenty of new quirks with the new UI...

atomed and redapg like this.
  7. redapg

redapg Registered

Let's hope that the announced official Icon Creator Tool will do the Job quicker AND easier than the current Method, with using Showroom Screenshots and my Icon Creator Tool then. ;)

atomed likes this.
  8. SoloWingX

SoloWingX Registered

Hello @redapg, very nice tool, thank you, I managed to create UI images for a skin in .mas installation. I would like to ask for some tiny help. I wanted to make an "alt" skin into "mas" so I can make images for it. I renamed the files, used the same convention, used the first skin I made UI images for as template. The new skin I made into "mas" shows up in normal mode, but refuses to show up in dev mode. Any clues?

Edit: Shortened the base name (before .veh, .dds, .json) and now it shows. Strange.

9. redapg

redapg Registered

So it's solved, right?
    To be honest, i don't work with Skins, because i have 0 Painting Skills. :)
    But i think that in the DevMode, you can simply use loose Files instead of a MAS File.

10. SoloWingX

SoloWingX Registered

Yes, it is solved. I am not a skinner either, I want to make UI images for skins on RaceDepartment for myself first and foremost, then I would maybe contact the authors if they want to release, or if I can upload a package with credits of course. I started with a mas install skin that was quite straightforward, then I wanted to make an alt skin into a mas skin, where I renamed the alt skin and the new filename was apparently too much for dev mode but not for normal UI... This is all new for me, maybe I can create UI images for Reiza cars as well. Exciting.

11. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, to contact the Author(s) of a Mod, before you start to create the Icons, to ask them if they pack the Icons into an Update, is the best Solution, to avoid any Version Conflicts.

12. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

its so weird they have "deactivated" screenshot function in menues when using new UI. the rf2 screenshot function only works when driving.
    But ofcourse works in the old UI.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  13. lagg

lagg Registered

The new UI uses the standard Steam system for the screenshots.
    I don't know if it's possible to configure it in Steam.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  14. ThomasJohansen

shame, but theoretically in showroom it should be possible to do screenshots if it uses same engine as when driving?

15. redapg

redapg Registered

@ThomasJohansen To get proper Screenshots for the new UI Icons, you have to use the DevMode Showroom anyway, because only there you can get a complete transparent Background of the PNG Screenshot.

16. ThomasJohansen

@redapg I know and that is my point. In new UI, in game while driving, it can save as png with screenshot, but it cant i showroom.

17. redapg

redapg Registered

And my Point is, that also with the old UI, a proper Screenshot, to build new UI Icons from it, in the Showroom didn't work in Single Player Mode, it only works in DevMode. ;)

18. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

I first have to say that I have no clue about any of this stuff so I am probably talking out of my a++ :) But as someone who keeps coming back to RF2 after playing other games, this lack of icons seems to be something that should be taken care of immediately! I think that Studio397 should take a deep breath and bite the bullet and do some housekeeping things before moving forward. I imagine someone like me (with little knowledge of this side of modding and such) buying the game and saying "WTF is this all about?" and being turned off by it. I say this with respect as RF2 is still easily my favourite game even with its many little issues (and big ones that I don't particularly see because of my usage).

Thanks

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

They can't. Legallly the Rieza cars are owned by Rieza. If S397 bit the bullet, they would be toying with products that are not theirs to mess with. Realize the TARP IS S397 biting the bullet. They provided first a ? symbol and later the Tarp to be place holders for cars without the icons. Painters, modders, 3rd party providers, it is up to those people to supply the necessary images. Some Painters here went thru their entire inventory and provided icons. Others have not. Frankly the presence of a tarp covered car ranks soooooo faaaaar down the list of items that need attention. Even ignoring the beta WIP issues with the comp system or the incomplete UI, rF2 has been waiting for a true and through bug-fix for 4 years. Some users are providing icons, perhaps you could contact them or the cars's original modder/painters to get images made. S397 has much larger fish to fry.

20. Corti

Corti Registered

I have configured Steam to save the screenshot uncompressed and the result is a .png file. I test in dev mode and I get two different results from the capture in dev 229.2k mode and in Steam 194.9k, as you can see the background is different (Steam black and dev mode gray) missing info in the properties of the Steam capture.
    GRAB_009.PNG 365960_20210207101634_1.png
    upload_2021-2-7_10-38-57.png

redapg likes this.