“ are rfactor2 physics broken” video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

FE qualifiers were fixed :D

Slip_Angel likes this.
  2. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Oh, thanks i didn't know.

3. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I will try medium compound. REGARDING soft tires in my driving i find degradation quite good,so i don't think upping degradation rate would be better, as i already think it is quite good. I definitely get more than 98% in 5 laps, not to sound rude here but you might not be pushing as hard.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  4. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

This is one of the reasons i think such exploitive driving works.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  5. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I was talking out of my ass really, as I even have videos that prove me the opposite, so disregard everything about tyre wear I said :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

How do you know that ?

7. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Yeah there should be a more punishing consequence but I wouldn't say the simulation is "broken" just because a slight exploit exists, I don't really think it grants any advantage but since I don't use this kind of exploit, maybe I'm wrong.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  8. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Let me know if my tip helps.

9. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

sure thing i will try it out right now.

10. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

@Nieubermesch i think medium tire just take the peak grip to a lower level than soft tires. If anything this probably made transition from peak to slides more forgiving, atleast that how it felt. I will be sticking with soft tires and green surface for now.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  11. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Yeah, maybe you are right, but in a way it can feel better, since we don't have a tyre that is peaky and forgiving on slides at the same time, wich I am of the belief doesn't really go hand and hand. The flexing of medium tyres also don't seem to allow some of those crazy rotation angles too. But it's still present the forgiving slides.

12. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

actually i think soft might be less forgiving as well. it seems like soft is less tolerant to heat than medium.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  13. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

You might be right.

14. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Common sense:) Maybe in 10 years when new UI and comp. system is finished;)

Nieubermesch likes this.
  15. Andregee

Andregee Registered

By the way, for all those who think that sliding is not possible or necessarily slow with a Gt3

16. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Already posted that. Already discussed some of it. You might want to read, I think it's just two or three pages before or less

17. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

I know I'm late and this is probably irrelevant now, but if anyone is still interested, here's the data from my "detach arb + no wing" test with the Porsche GTE: https://mega.nz/file/wklVAYqY#2-u0PJRQcqlKViFgSet_X8whIUGYCxiyR4dLO0tEET0 (couldnt attach file here for some reason)
    Herees a summary of what I did:
    Basically, I took a few laps with wing 4 + both arbs 3 to get used to the car and until I felt like i had put in a decent lap. Then I detached the rear arb and did a few laps to get used to the balance of the car and take the most out of it ( which I did in between every setup change). Couldn't improve time at all so I took rear wing off. Time improved by 3 tenths i think, but fast corners were VERY tricky. I then added 2 clicks arb at the front and tried it again. little improvement but high speed corners were still VERY tricky. then I reduced front arb 1 click, and upped both arbs by 2 clicks (or 3? cant remember. its in the data),which gave me another massive (3+ tenths) improvement, mostly on slow stuff but also more rear end stability on fast corners. Rear end could still be improved a lot by aero and damper tuning, but this showed my point

Now onto catching up with the thread.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  18. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Good findings. It was moved a bit since then for sure.

19. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

There are hundreds of video footage like this one proving GT3 and GTE cars aren't beasts that want to kill you in every corner but for some strange reason some people tend to think those cars should be much harder to drive...with all due respect, I think those people forgot what those cars are in the first place : these are production cars that have been modified for racing, with better handling, better brakes and lighter weight. The engine is often restrained, the "civil" versions are often more powerful than their GT3 / GTE equivalent (for example the Audi R8 v10 has 620 horsepower in the civil version, 585 MAXIMUM in the GT3 version according to the BoP).

So we have lighter cars with better tires, better brakes, better suspensions and less powerful engines than their civilian equivalent but they would be harder to drive?

something escapes me here...

Another example, look how much the tires are gripping despite the car is going pretty fast and went out track, so tires are dirty (issue with link, look at 29:21) :

Almost stops instantly...why should the virtual version be more punishing than its real counterpart exactly ?

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Whatsup about people doing multiple posts these days ? Is it hard to be more efficient in forums ?
    Yes great example ! However, sliding is very subtle thing.

We can have simulated sliding that is very low effort and low demand on concentration. Allowing more time to react and and get precise inputs to set the car nicely into a slide, and set the car very easily and smoothly out of the slide as well. Loosing no time, or even gaining pace when sliding and never getting car to be too nervous or even sending it into a spin out.

We also can have simulated sliding that happens to be like in that video, packed in shorter duration and happening more suddenly, requiring more effort and concentration. Demanding driver to be capable to react precisely in shorter time setting the car properly into and out of slides. Obviously loosing time with excessive sliding and being well aware of possibility of spinning out.

Which one is realisitc for what kind of car ? I guess each of us has very different view. Some perceive cars with high peaky downforce and wide, low profile, high peak slicks to handle same like cars with insensitive flat aero and high profile, narrow, low peak normal tires... I am not sure where that comes from, guys probably wants to drive road cars, not modern race cars.

I haven't used iRacing for two years, I don't know if it become more realistic since then or not, but I just predict that it will become easier in next few years to maintain userbase if it starts declining, which it possibly will.

I am not sure if PC3 and Dirt being unsuccsessful is entirely positive trend for realism. I guess it is if those titles were advertised as simulation, and the market didn't buy it that low, but it is bad if they were advertised as arcades and didn't make it that way. I think having arcade racing games niche dead, could artificially suck in simracing niche to become "the new arcade". And it could be done by making simulation as forgiving and undemanding as much as possible till it will remain believable to most people. The good thing about it is that it still could be relatively realistic to some degree. But bad thing would be that it would supress possibility of much higher realism that would be right there within the reach, just because not everyone is capable to drive so good. Actually IMO it has already been happenign for at least four past years.

RBR was my first sim. I would also argue it is among most realistic simulations ever made. Real shame it wasn't a financial success, but it just proves the point. I was 13 or 14 years old and I was so hyped about RBR, I remember I had no clue what it meant to do, I couldn't handle the car and put the game into the shelf for few years, untill the realization came, and then I couldn't stop playing it for few years, eventually it lead me to the rest of simracing. It is hard to think that there are so many people that are basically me in 2003, that will probably go through the same route.

Yeah, Dirt Rally was pretty awesome, was not too far off with physics IMO, and everything else was just great. I think Codies realized that they did a mistake with it. They made it too good. Too good for their sales model - new game each few years. What they should have done was to do it like every proper sim is done - developed for years, and supported either by some kind of subscribtions or DLC packages. I think that particular title might have been begining of the end for Codemasters and it was where they tripped over. They attempted to come back to more conventional gaming experience, and it wasn't climbing up, they broke the spell with DR by casting other, much stronger spell. I kind of want to turn on DR right now. RBR too.

I think simracing is a trap for racing games genre. The reason for that IMO is that prestige of realism and attraction to it is so big is hard to go without it. But on the other hand once players try it, they very likely don't meet their expectations. Going fast and being at the top driving performance level requires respectable experience, knowledge and skill, good concentration, patience and effort not to mention that some just simply are faster than others. Simracing is a trap for itself as it has to make people as happy as possible, and it depends highly on how realistic the expectations are of the players. Naturally as simracing popularity grows, the average expectation bar will continue on dropping down. Also people continue on being less and less mechanically sympathetic, soon there will be tons of autonomous cars in the streets... so no hope really.

And I see you agree with me that simacing is screwed because knowledge and understanding is not valued as much as it should be, and we don't have culture developed well enough to appreciate these values, and I agree with your observation, we definitely are moving away from that. People are disencouraged to think, it is all about being told and listening. It is like eating, but not digesting.

Bruno Gil and Nieubermesch like this.