HOW TO: Hosting with SteamCMD and Paid Content

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Christopher Elliott, Aug 1, 2017.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, sorry, i'm also no Friend of Acronyms.
    In this Case i just thought that Dedi (for dedicated Server) would be understandable in this Thread.
    Keep us informed if you got it running.

RealGT likes this.
  2. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thanks for your responses, it's really helpful. Yes this is my first server. usually I've been doing all my RFactor testing on the simulator in single player mode which is much easier. But since my simulator requires two instances of RFactor on two seperate PCs to feed the rear view mirrors just like this video below.

Porsche is running two computers to do this. One is for the onscreen track. The other PC is the server and the rear view.

I've gotten all the content there, I've opened all ports on the router, but I'm confused as to how to proceed. I know I can start my steam client on the main PC but for the laptop running the server how do I start the server and also go into a spectator mode where I can assign a rear facing camera for each LCD. I would need three cameras, one for each mirror.

I am getting this error when even trying to start the server: Dedicated Server requires at least one other mod besindes "All Tracks &Cars" installed.

Thanks again!

3. redapg

redapg Registered

Check this Site.

RealGT likes this.
  4. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thanks, it's so bizarre that you have to jump through so many hoops to get anything accomplished. I'm trying to have RFactor 2 as the default simulation software for the simulator. Is this entire difficult nature because of the way the software is programmed? I'm going to try again but I tried that solution last night and it wouldn't work. There is something I'm missing here.

We need a soup to nuts for dummies tutorial without acronyms or short cuts, literal step by step. LOL

Does it matter if its the 32bit or 64bit?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  5. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Everyone I'd just like to put out there that I'd pay $100 for a hand holding document on how to replicate exactly what Porsche has done in that video. I need this desperately to advance the simulator. Thanks again and reach out if you can assist.

6. redapg

redapg Registered

2021 -> 64 bit. :)
    And yes, many Informations are spreaded all over the Internet.
    I work with rFactor since ~ 15 Years now and i still have to use the Web-Search a lot.
    In most Cases, because i have already forgotten many Things. :D

RealGT likes this.
  7. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Redapg, would you have time to help me setup this server via remote support? I would pay you for your time, I know everyone's time is precious.

8. RealGT

RealGT Registered

I need to know this full path as I cannot find it.

"Close your server and go to ....\MyServer\UserData"
    Very frustrated. :(

9. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Full path would be wherever you you have your server installed/userdata ie if you have the server installed in C:\rfactor2-dedicated then the path would be C:\rfactor2-dedicated\userdata.

RealGT likes this.
  10. McFly

McFly Registered

Wow that looks epic! I didn't realize you could do that...

About this error that you mention: Dedicated Server requires at least one other mod besides "All Tracks &Cars" installed.

That is caused for one of two reasons. Either, you have not created a valid mod package that is hostable by the server, OR you are running into some common pathing issues that can crop up as a result of the current build structure and the server simply is not able to find your valid mod.

If you are having trouble finding a good guide on how to create a valid mod package for your server take a look at this guide:

https://github.com/afloesch/rfactor2-server-setup#using-rfactor2-server

If you followed all the steps there and are still getting that error take a look at this section of that guide:

https://github.com/afloesch/rfactor2-server-setup#additional-environment-details

That should fix the case where the server isn't able to find your installed mod.

RealGT likes this.
  11. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thank you to redapg today for helping me remotely. We made some great progress. I've since been able to start the dedicated server with a retail track *Silverstone* and a fan mod car *Porsche RSR 1973*.

But when I launch my personal Steam version of RFactor it just launches the dedicated server again, or, it launches and can't find the server. So close to getting this licked.

So basically on the PC that the Dedicated server is running, what is the best way to launch your personal retail copy of RFactor so that it can see the dedicated server that is running on the same PC.

12. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Steam library, select rF2 and click the green Play button. If game and server is on same pc, then you should start the game first, then alt tab and then start the server.

RealGT likes this.
  13. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Oooooh, I was doing it the opposite way!!! Doh! Let me try now, woot! Thanks

14. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Hmmmm, I was able to start personal copy, then alt+tab, started dedicated, went back to personal copy but can't find server. Tried internet and lan. Let me try and create a new server. Any ideas?

15. Goanna

Goanna Registered

What ports are you using in the server’s userdata/player/multiplayer.json file, look for lines that have http port and simulation port at the start.

RealGT likes this.
  16. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Let me check I followed the guide and opened all the ports on my router. Not sure I changed any json port settings. Be back in a minute. Thanks.

Edit: here is what I found
    "HTTP Server Port": 64297,
    "HTTP Server Port#": "range is 1025 - 65535. Used for file sharing",

"Simulation Port": 54297,
    "Simulation Port#": "range is 1025 - 65535"

17. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Ok, in the multiplayer.json change the http port to 27013 and save the json file. Then you’ll need to port forward the following;
    27013 TCP
    54297 TCP & UDP
    27014 UDP
    27015 UDP
    Your server should then show in the LAN tab for you and internet for external people.

RealGT likes this.
  18. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thanks added your ports which I didn't have. I did not delete the ports that the RFactor tutorial, should I have? I still cannot see the server on LAN or internet. So weird.

19. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I’d try getting rid of the others and just run with the ones I said. Another thought, how is your network setup ie Internet > ISP router/modem > computer or some other config?

RealGT likes this.
  20. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Ok, even though those are recommended by Studio397? I have a modem and a router. Ports are forwarded. This is pretty insane lol. RFactor will never take off if they can't simplify this.