getting kicked using custom skin

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Stevy, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Stevy

Stevy Registered

So like the titel explains I get kicked from the server whenever I use a custom skin.
    So let me explain in detail.
    I create the skin myself. I did this now more than once so I don't think that's the problem.
    Skin files, region map, naming no problem.
    I see the skin ingame can choose it and drive it or add the skin as AI (the skin is an extra car like shown in the user guide).

Now here is where I get kicked.
    I join a server which has skin transfer enabled, I already saw others using one.
    I choose my skin but one person already told me he can't see it.
    He doesn't even see the base car I use. He said it was looking like the one he was using.
    I can drive in Practise, Quali and Warmup.
    But as warmup ends and the server switches to the race session I get kicked.
    I personally just see Network error (I use the new UI) but the server log is:
    unknown.png
    The results of the server showed that I was using the pacecar an not even GT3 or Porsche Cup.
    No forced upgrades or something.

I now tested it with my own server on my Notebook. GT3 and Porsche Cup as soon as I use a custom skin I get kicked when the race session is loaded.
    I guess it's a issue on my end. Perhaps I'm missing a final step to get it working online and not being kicked as soon as the race starts.

So what do I miss or what I'm doing wrong?

Matthew Fennell likes this.
  2. Ernie

Ernie Registered

A league mate of mine has the same issue.
    Do you use the new UI or the old one?

It seems that it is a problem/bug of the new UI, because it doesn't occur with the old UI.

Matthew Fennell likes this.
  3. BigBl4ckW0lf

BigBl4ckW0lf Registered

Further information on the issue as seen in the league where @Ernie and I race in:

A driver with the new UI activated joins the server with his custom skin.

Until race session: The car is seen differently by everyone.
    • The car has no skin (white car) and it is seen as Ferrari by Ferrari drivers, as Audi by Audi drivers, ...
    • It is working flawless for the driver with his custom skin. He is driving a McLaren 720s.
    • The server says it would be an Aston Martin (maybe first car type in array).
    As the server starts the race session: The driver with the new UI gets kicked.

Maybe connected to this issue:

In a later race another driver (with the new UI activated) was constantly leaving and rejoining the server for some drivers as if the clients could not correctly load the custom skin. After he joined with a standard livery everything worked.

4. Matthew Fennell

Matthew Fennell Registered

A friend of mine and I also experienced this issue, exactly as described by @BigBl4ckW0lf
    The skin is one that has been used in other leagues, so I would agree that I don't think the skin itself is the issue.
    We were both using the new UI.
    Unfortuntely I hadn't yet enabled logging for the new UI, but I will enable now and post if this situation comes up again.

Ernie likes this.
  5. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Same issue here - I’ll delete the thread I started a few minutes ago - should’ve checked the list!

The only thing I can add is to note that my cars have been showing up in timing screens etc. as ‘unknown’ class.

6. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

A few of us were having the same issue and here is what we discovered.
    Ever since a couple of our guys started creating their own Team/Car folder the game started auto creating .mas files for certain skins. The .mas however only contains the default skin even though the .dds inside was named correctly. Even trying to select the original skin .dds in tuning it would only show the default skin.
    From there every time we went to race session those who had their own folders (and displaying "unknown" vehicle) would get booted from game. I have since deleted all skins from the server and got the guys to just load the skin .dds for now and all has been good. Have no idea why this is happening.

7. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

@nonamenow - so are you saying there’s a temporary workaround of deleting any .mas files from team cars and just leaving the basic .dds files in place?

8. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Seems to be working ok here.

9. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks...

Just a thought - I’ve just re-read the original painting guide for inspiration. When creating the team car, the following is stated: “
    • IMPORTANT: In the 'description' field fill in the <Name of the car> <class>...example Aston Martin Vantage GT3 <car number>)”...
    I’ve been filling in any old rubbish here - just another description field, I thought.

Could the booting issue be because the Car Description field value is not following a strict convention? I’ve noted that my team cars often show up in timing screens as “unknown” class/type....

10. Stevy

Stevy Registered

Good to see I'm not the only one with such a problem.
    A way I found to use skins online is to put the skin (or just the created .mas file as it's easier to handle) in the car folder which get's created when creating a new team. For example the folder named "14MRSGTRACAF0E2453".
    In the showroom of your base car you can then choose between the "standard" skin and your skin.
    At least this way the skin get's uploaded to the server (I assume others can see it then).
    But of course this way you have no custom team + number. So in the results it looks like you did use a normal base car.

11. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I’ll try that, thanks Stevy.

I did try creating a new team with a more conventional team name that referenced the class etc. but it had no effect.

12. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Still happening - and it’s not a front-end New UI problem - must be the back-end server build.

I had to revert to the old UI last night due to a bug with the controller selection and was testing online (GT3s, Kyalami official track). No problems in practice or warmup, but got kicked when the server rolled over into Race. Reloaded using the workaround @Stevy identified (custom skin in the auto-created base folder) and that worked fine - but it denies us the use of proper team cars.

Stevy likes this.
  13. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

This is still happening on our server, not loading the skins and booting drivers who use the new UI and have a personal skin. Another thing I found with the new UI is that when you make a team and driver with a skin that has helmet rims etc. every time you open the car in the showroom it deletes everything except the skin, so the helmet, driver, rims, windows etc. are removed from the .mas file. I don't even have to hit refresh, just open in the showroom.
    This UI has been in beta for ages and it seems S397 can't get the basic things to work properly when it's finally released as the default, do they not test this stuff? I thought skin transfer was supposed to be one of the FEATURES (totally exasperated)
    wtf.jpg

14. smbrm

smbrm Registered

I noticed the same issue with personal skins as well. It happens in the competition system. I am not being kicked and I see my personal skin if server is old UI and I am new Ul. However no driver names load to the standings. Very strange?

15. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Adding my experiences to what seems to be the main thread for this problem:

We in our league have found that even using the default method, where you do not create a team is also kicking people out before the race.
    A fix seems to be to join the server with your skin, leave, reselect your car again from the customise screen, and then you dont get booted.
    The other problem is, skins are jsut not transferring properly.
    Some people see a white car, others see a default livery instead of the painted one.

16. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

When you say, auto creating .mas files; which skins are you talking about?
    The Custom Skins or the existing mod?
    Just curious as to what we should try deleting and where? Server of my PC?

17. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

They were all custom skins that for some reason the game kept creating mas files for. Once I deleted from PC and from the server it hasn't happened since.

TheSecret1 likes this.
  18. JuanP006

JuanP006 Registered

We are having this issue as well in our league. We had to ask people to use default skins to avoid being kicked out when moving to race session. Until S397 fixes the problem, we are in the process of creating a skin pack for our league, which we are going to test shortly and determine if that fixes the problem. I will report on that.

19. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Where were these files?
    Just so I can see if it is doing it to me too?

Otherwise, my next step is to do a reinstall and try that.

20. Stevy

Stevy Registered

From the changelog just now:
    - Fixed an issue where if we failed to load a custom skin we would not correctly fall back to the default skin.
    and
    - Server will now kick a client using a custom team if file transfers are disabled because that client would be kicked when a race starts anyway.
    Source

Perhaps this does fix the problem?
    Or you now just get booted right away