Tutorial how to use Broadcast Overlays

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Petethepawn, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

I a bit of a newbie, got most things under control now but have a few queries around how Broadcast Overlays work in replays. I was hoping somebody who has done this has a tutorial on how to manage this.
    My objectives are to simply replay my races with the broadcast overlays - nicer graphics, tower, logo etc.
    What I am not sure is that when the race is being run do I need to do anything, or when I recall the replay is that where the magic happens. I heard about OBS but need a starting point how to manage replays, not interested in a race having the overlay - only relays. Cheers boys - I did read this https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/broadcast-overlays but I am still not sure how it works.

I have done the set-up and know how to configure and have it working ingame - but my query is more around the replays.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  2. lagg

lagg Registered

Play a replay maximized in the new UI.
    Go to a web browser and open the url of the control panel.
    Change things in the control panels and you'll see how it works.
    Open the ..\rFactor 2\Overlays\default\config.json with a text editor and you'll see different tags to configure the overlay
    If the overlays folder doesn't exist, create it manually and copy the content of default_december_2020.zip that there is here https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/broadcast-overlays
    I think it's the way to begin with this

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Petethepawn likes this.
  3. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Thanks mate, that's a great head start already.

4. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Ok got most sorted - only issue is when I recall a replay the timings don’t display. The tower header appears but no driver tags etc. When I do a live session everything works perfectly, tower and timings but not on replays. So my question is why doesn’t timings work in replays and is there a way to make it work?
    Thanks

5. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't know, sorry

Petethepawn likes this.
  6. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Don’t think that will work with replays, the way I understand it that in a live race, the overlay is getting the info from the game, whereas the replay is for want of a better word a movie of the live session and no info is coming from the game per se.

Petethepawn and lagg like this.
  7. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Right explains why it doesn’t work in that case. Just a shame if I am racing, it means I can’t broadcast the race. Pretty much need another person to control the replay which renders it useless for me.
    On top of that the new UI replay doesn’t show the current/correct running order using the normal timings at the top of the screen. I don’t know what order they use but it appears to be broken as you can’t tell the correct running order of the competitors. You get lost.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  8. lagg

lagg Registered

9. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Thanks again - but wouldn’t that mean the replay would be only in my perspective? So no other camera action other than my own perspective. I want the replay to be able to use different camera angles, different competitors, capture highlights etc. Am I missing something?

10. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

I see the timings at the top instead of the tower, looks smart.

11. lagg

lagg Registered

Someone has to manage the control panel to change the cameras , drivers, etc.
    It's the same during live or replays.
    The replays have the problem of the lack of data.
    The way to change the cameras while you are driving is to give the control of the control panel to other person, chanching the IP of the control panel to the IP of your computer

12. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Appreciate your help. In my case it’s me and one other only doing an online race so it won’t work for me, but can see how it works with leagues.
    I guess my only hope is that they fix the replays in the new UI to display correct running order. The old UI was fine for doing this.

buzz hornet and lagg like this.
  13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Look up rF2 Autocam which works on LIVE gameplay but not replays.

Petethepawn likes this.
  14. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

I have seen that, looks good but I am looking for a replay manager as such - ideally in a future update a call can be made to the replay that captures the broadcast overlay or simply fix the broken new UI telemetry in replays. As stated earlier the old UI does work with correct running order - telemetry.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    buzz hornet likes this.
  15. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

I haven’t found a way to get overlays working whilst driving ingame. When I look at the ai it works perfectly, but I’d like to include the banner timings at the top of the monitor. Is this possible whilst driving?

Petethepawn likes this.
  16. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

17. lagg

lagg Registered

I've asked to a guy of our champs and he has told me that you have to add, in the OBS, a new source ("Browser source") and link to http://localhost:5397/overlays/overlays.html
    Then configure the overlay options in the Control Panel

Petethepawn likes this.
  18. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Thanks again, I am familiar with OBS.It’s just a shame you have to jump through hoops to get this working - easily. Natively it should just work, we used to display overlays in directx9 through a third party plug-in which worked beautifully and easily.
    This is my list of missing functionality:
    1. The telemetry should be pushed through to replay system. So when the race replay is recalled you can modify the display content as required. Live is to limited, if you don’t have a director or for single player it’s useless unless you want to watch an AI race.
    2. Overlays should work ingame whilst driving without a director and without the need for third party software such as OBS.

RoboCAT10 and lagg like this.
  19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

1. These are BROADCAST overlays.... not an ingame HUD.
    2. They DO work in game, without OBS, I know because I have done it. They are made for BROADCAST that has a camera director. The fact you can get them to display while you drive is a bonus, but not their intended purpose.

20. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

2. Can you please advise how you did it (display whilst driving)