Which DD to buy, on limited budget?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThomasJohansen, Jan 7, 2021.

1. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

I have limited to spend, and initially I made up my mind and wanted to buy a Sim-plicity WS20 V3 at about 800€. A good price for a 20nm DD.
    But now I hesitate, because if I buy one at this price, for me it has to last for 5-10 years.
    And I have learned that Sim-plicity have made their own firmware and software, but if this firm breaks perhaps of brexit or whatever, how would this product live for 10 years? Can the motor be reused with a new controller? Anyone know more indept about Sim-plicity's products.

If not Sim-plicity, I'm looking at the "Simucube 2 sport" at 1200€, its a step up in price, but then I know the product will be supported for a long time.
    Sim-plicity have a module to control G27 pedals, does Simucube 2 sport have the same capabilities or do I have to make my own adaptor?

At the moment I have ruled out simagic, fanatec and accuforce, either on price range or too product focused/locked on own ecosystem. I want to make my own steering wheel.

I know on top of all, I have to spend at least 200 € on a DIY steering wheel, but then I can choose my own button layout etc.

Any constructive feedback?

2. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

I’m running that wheel and have had no problems with it. All questions have been answered promptly and I am glad I went with SimPlicity.

I can’t comment on Brexit or the controller but that would be the same for any manufacturer cross borders. No-one really knows what state a company is actually in big or small.

3. ThomasJohansen

My concern is if this small firm don't survive (though I have no reasons to think it should happen), and the software then have it's end of life.
    If it was opensource software I would'nt hesitate, then I know someone would pick up and update.

I asked Sim-plicity for about about a week ago, if the controller was based on simucube board but they havent responded yet. I have later learned from forums that they now develop their own.

4. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Have a look at the SIMAGIC bases and wheels, may be worth a look. They do two bases and two wheels at the moment and look well engineered. I've seen several good reviews and considering buying one myself.
    Link to British site.
    https://abruzzi-official.co.uk/wheelbases/
    Review of wheel.

Review of the cheapest base.

5. ThomasJohansen

6. Beef36

Beef36 Registered

All DD manufacturers / suppliers are small businesses and nobody knows any of their financial strengths and longevity, so that risk is similar regardless.

DD's in general are extremely robust and the performance of almost all of them is generally excellent.

If budget was my primary concern, I'd consider a used, newer SimuCUBE 1 (e.g. with the better encoders). With the latest firmware version, in my view is performance is indistinguishable from a SimuCUBE 2.

The fact that SimuCUBE 1's software development is end of life is not a key issue because the existing software is well developed and really robust, thus you can away with running a SimuCUBE 1 for many years without ever needing any software / firmware upgrade.

Also, eventually SimuCUBE 2 (or whatever other DD you buy) will also be superseded at some point and you'll be in the same position.

TL;DR: Lifespan and performance of SimuCUBE 1 and SimuCUBE 2 is comparable, so money can be saved buying a used SimuCUBE 1.

7. Beef36

Beef36 Registered

I had something very similar from 3D Rap (refer bottom left wheel below).

My feedback is that 3D Rap rim is inadequate for Direct Drive wheels and recommend you do not to proceed down that route. The rim may be fine for belt driven FFB systems, but it is too flimsy for DDs and may not last you a year, let alone 10 years. I on-sold the 3D Rap rim after 2 weeks.

You touch the wheel 100% of the time you're sim racing, so it's one of the most critical components of your sim rig. In my view, I'd rather spend a bit less on the DD and increase budget for one good, robust wheel.

Also if wheel longevity is key, I'd suggest rubber grips. They last a long a time, are easy to clean and continue to look good after many years of use. You can't say that for say alacantara grips.

[​IMG]

ThomasJohansen and Lazza like this.
  8. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Just have a look at the bases then and use your own wheels. I'm pretty sure you can buy the quick release separately which looks like a well engineered unit. I was in the aircraft industry for 40yrs so have a good idea what is well engineered.

9. ThomasJohansen

@Beef36 thx for your fine arguments, i'll take them in consideration. Never thought of the simucube 1, will look into that possibility.

Can see if I wanted to follow the 3drap, leather is not the option, I see.
    For my g27 I made my own "wood" wheel and I used silicon sugru as handlebares. Not the prettiest but works very well with good rubberish feel.
    [​IMG]

10. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Registered

the simplicity dd uses the classic small mige motor, which is the same of osw. therefore you can use the motor with any Simucube1 board, but if you want to go that way I suggest buying directly an OSW from simracingbay, Augury or many other that still sell such kits. and start with Simucube1 from the start, Simplicity as you say still use its own firmware and you can't be sure it will be supported for long time, while granity is still doing active development and releases for SC1; so if you are on a tight budget that is my main suggestion, get one from a vendor - or a used one, there is plenty of people that went from SC1 to SC2 and sold/is currently selling their SC1. while it's true that SC2 is a better investment for the future (I went from OSW to SC2 Sport) it is also true that SC1 based OSW are still the best 1st gen dd on the market.
    for the pedals, why do you need to hook them up the dd? just get an adapter/dongle to simply use them as usb on the pc.

11. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

In my experience, the biggest difference when I went from Fanatec CSW 2.5 and pedals v3 to Simtag / Direct Drive was with pedals, not DirectDrive. Sure DD was a clear difference and felt better than 2.5 but it wasn't really as impressive as pedals, the precision with my breaking went from "ok tier" to "top tier" in less than a week (for sure at the beginning, the break pedal was so hard I had issues but everything became so much easier after a very short period and never stopped enhancing for a week, something like that).

That being said, CSW 2.5 is already a medium++ tier hardware.

Went from Mige 30 OSW DirectDrive to Simucube 2 Pro and it wasn't a huge improvement, if any improvement at all. The biggest difference to me was the SC2 is much smaller and easier to manage, in my case it was very important.

12. ThomasJohansen

Thanks for your feedback

@SuperMonaco_GP
    Hooking up my g27 pedals is only a small thing, and its simple enough to make an adaptor for this.
    Unless I find a reasonly priced SC1 I'll think im spending the extra and going for the SC2 sport.

@Yzangard I am planning on upgrading pedals but as the headline says Im limited on budget so one step at a time.

13. EricW

EricW Registered

The best first investment would be loadcell pedals imho...The wheel for me had less influence on my driving experience than a proper set of pedals.
    I run a SC1 small Mige for 4 years now btw, and see no need to upgrade at all (works, and is build like a tank)

14. Binny

Binny Guest

Accuforce v2 pro besides rf2 IMHO, it has software to help with all other sims that have a crappy FFB.

15. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

Not sure that fulfils the limited budget brief but nice wheel all the same

16. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I run an early Simplicity 20nm Mige package.
    The thing to remember is that buying an Open Source wheel was originally just getting someone to collect all the required bits and put them in a big cardboard box and send them to you for you to assemble (which is what I did). I built it and downloaded the various software items to make it work.
    It seems that some companies are now doing more of the assembly and "branding it".
    So firstly all the hardware will be fine.
    If any software gets an update and your firm isn't at the forefront you should be able to use some other software. Worst case scenario you might need to buy a cheap circuit board.
    Secondly. Your desk might fall apart or your shoulders but my view the hardware will wear out in your grandsons hands if ever at all. These motors run CNC machines and escalators. In your hands they don't even get warm.
    For a wheel I converted the Fanatec Formula wheel. Very happy.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    ThomasJohansen likes this.
  17. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

The G27 pedals lack a processor. They are a "dumb pedal" so can't be plugged into a USB socket.
    So it needs to be wired to the circuit board of the wheel hardware.
    I went through this with old Fanatec pedals.

18. lagg

lagg Registered

19. Comante

Comante Registered

I use that cable: work flawlessly! You can even add a load cell brake with a little circuitry and some custom spring housing... is in my future plans.

20. JuanP006

JuanP006 Registered