rfactor 2 with Reverb G2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Dec 3, 2020.

1. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I’m enjoying it with rfactor2. Everything is looking crisp and sharp. To bad the FOV isn’t as they have claimed.
    Performance wise I’m getting 88-90fps with my 2080ti and these extra 10 FPS over the oculus S you can feel them .
    I dint like the headphones. They are not setting over the ears( there’s a gap) and with all the noise that my motion system/ shakers and simwind this isn’t the best solution. So I bought the Razer Nari essential and they are awesome.
    I have 2 questions.
    How I can add rfactor2 to the “ per applicant SS) in Steam VR?

mesfigas and Adrianstealth like this.
  2. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Hi Wajdi

If I understand you right, you need to be running the game before it will appear in the list of applications that you can change settings for.

Would you mins sharing your game gfx settings that you are using? Im having trouble holding framerates with a 3080 card, tried everything i can think of.
    HP Reverb G2 and rfactor 2 | Studio-397 Forum (studio-397.com)

3. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Andy Bonar likes this.
  4. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

What’s your SS setting?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  5. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Ive set it in steam to 50%,

6. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Turning off Steam home seems to help a little bit, and a lot of testing seems to point out that the problem is using AI traffic.
    Hoping to find a server tonight with a lot of real drivers to confirm

7. J0E

J0E Registered

Regarding sound. My old headset had a broken wire on the mic side and it was making WorkFromHome zoom meetings a problem. So I finally upgraded from that inexpensive Logitech headset to a Sennheiser over the ear closed system. The sound in most things is significantly better than the old headset, but I expected a bit more base with the Sennheisers. I read somewhere in the past couple of days that stronger bass requires an open headset. If that is true (and I'm a sceptic about most things to my wife's sour disappointment), that might explain why the G2 drivers don't sit on ear.

8. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Registered

Is someone willing to share the settings he uses to get the best result with the Reverb G2?

I have a new RTX 30 series GPU but an older i7-7700k (and 32GB, SSD). Challenging to get a stutter free but still a good crisp/clear in game experience with about 20AI. I set general SS at 70% and RFactor2 per video app also around 70-80%. I will try how it performs and looks with 50%.
    I followed the graphic recommendations (so not everything maxed out etc), video settings at AA level 3, 1920x1080, shadows low. But still struggling to get it butter smooth without stuttering. Especially LeMans track around each corner shows purple spike(s) in GPU frame timing (fpsVR running). And then even without visible AI in my neighborhood. Per lap around 300 lost frames. CPU/GPU frame time around 10-11ms. Hopefully I miss something or have overlooked one piece? I also (need to) have some other apps running (NLRv3, CrewChief, SimHub, Fanalab). Already tried without them running but doesn't change anything.
    Only thing I still can test is to disable -or even uninstall- Sophos 'protection'.

Hopefully ok to ask:
    - what are your Nvidia settings? Any specifics in 3D settings, using latest driver, I've read some downgraded to an older version?
    - steamVR SS, classic reprojection enabled or the smoothing option, or both?
    - would be great to share your screenshot of the in game graphic settings.

So far watched a bunch of Youtubes, read several forum sites but cannot find the 'holy grail' solution. If it exists?

Thanks much appreciated!!
    Brian

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  9. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

i just got my G2 reverb, and have to say rf2 looks amazing with it.
    my "old" 1080ti (oc'd to 2GHz) can run it decently, while im waiting for my new card to arrive (some day...)

i'm running the game @ 80% SS in steam vr.
    [​IMG]
    No motion smoothing or reprojection in use. all nvidia control panel settings are default.

these are my gpu graphs with that 80%SS @nordschleife, 2 laps with the cup porsche.
    not much headroom there left, anywhere. Still the experience was stutterless and smooth.
    [​IMG]
    These are my settings in rF2 for reference, to someone looking to get the G2 with 1080ti
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Overall im happy with the headset, sweetspot is quite narrow, but driving i dont notice it.
    Playing vr shooters the narrow sweetspot becomes more visible, as you tilt your head to aim, and look around more in general with your eyes.
    For simracer, this headset is really good choice. and 1080ti is enough for it to have a good experience.
    Nords isnt the lightest track performance wise, and it still runs ok with 1080ti with relative high rf2 settings. Granted, that was alone in the track, but thats nords in most cases anyway.
    I didn't expect it to run this well to be honest.
    397 has come a long way optimizing this game for vr :cool:. big shout out to the team for doing all the hard work!

EDIT! realized later that the steam vr SS% setting global and per game stack on top of each other. so with the 1080ti i had both global and per game @80%, Still looks awesome tough, and really the performance of the 1080ti hardly justifies upgrade, at least with the current prices.
    But apologies for the false information :eek:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    pkelly, Comante, BrianBosch and 2 others like this.
  10. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

The big problem is when your racing with other real drivers or AI, thats when the performance suffers.
    I really doubt youd have anything like the same experience with the same settings with a decent grid.

There's a lot of optimisation needed before I could agree with you, unless you just hotlap alone, then, yes its great.

11. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Yes, that is totally true that several AI or real drivers hit the fps hard. Still, that dephends on the car a lot. I find the GTE cars the heaviest. The cup porsche is quite ok, not nearly as taxing as the GTEs are.
    My quickest way to get more fps (alone vs others) is to disable shadows and soft particles. That alone usually is enough. If not, then texture detail to high, and track detail to medium or even to low.
    Also i have opponent detail at low, and only 9 visible vehicles, I dont need more, as i only put 9 AI cars, or online i dont care about the not 9 in my view, as they are usually much further away, ahead or behind.

Hopefully this can be of help to you finding good settings for your hardware ;)

12. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Registered

First of all: tranks for sharing your settings.
    I used them 1:1 and for the most of the same track and I get 90fps. I also used 10AI in practice mode. One of my issues seems to be (hopefully) solved. I had sudden frame drops despite very good cpu and gpu frametime --> always green and around 9ms.
    After some trial & error: it was the left earphone of the Reverb G2 that needed better tightening... Will test more if this was really the issue for the sudden frame drops.

Do you also have LeMans in your track list? If so could you please give that one a try. most of the time around 2/3 of the track (after the last longest straight when entering the Porsche/Corvette curves) fps dropping kicks in. I will also test that again with your settings.

Edit: LeMans2020 track. first lap until about 2/3 of the track no frame drops. Then suddenly the stuttering begins and the second lap about 250 frame drops

When exiting back to main menu the screen alwys starts to flicker rapidly. You also have that?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  13. Binny

Binny Guest

will be an update and fixes in the 1st Q of 2021 said by s397 on discord. QUOTE: Given that we are getting a few reports on some aspects (and a substantial amount of our testers and people at Studio S397 also use VR) I would say it's likely we will look at doing some fixes/upgrades in Q1.

pkelly and Kelju_K like this.
  14. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

I dont have LeMans unfortunately, so i cant comment on that tracks performance. But i have noticed that when passing pit area in many tracks causes stutters. I think its the others cars in the pit that causes it.
    I have also noticed that more time i spend with other cars in track, the stutters seem to calm down a bit. This i have no real proof, it's just a feeling, as there are still some stutters left so it's hard to say if it actually get better, or do i just not notice it as much. So take this with grain of salt.

But if it would actually be true, that would lead me to think that when all cars (in session) have had their 3D models, textures and lods loaded in to memory, things get slightly better.
    I havent bothered to investigate that further, but one could easily try to look at all the cars in session with external cams, so that all above mentioned would surely be in memory for quicker access, and see if it makes any difference.

Yes. that is steam vr thing, i had it already with oculus CV1

BrianBosch likes this.
  15. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Never had at all with my Vive Pro, I do with the G2, also get it with transitioning from some screens, isn’t consistently the same screen transitions so at this point I haven’t been able to pinpoint a possible cause.

16. J0E

J0E Registered

I've also noticed the car/track selection can affect performance. I run primarily the Formula E cars on the Formula E tracks. I find I can use much higher settings with them than I can with the Orecas on LeMans, Spa or Nurburgring. I have a mere Vega64 and an I9700K and in FE I can have the track/opponent/cockpit/special effects settings at high, x16 but with reflections, rain and shadows off and still easily hold 90 fps with no stutters (not even in the pits). I couldn't run those at that level for the Orecas.

17. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Registered

Thanks to your feed back I found the cause of the frame drops after about 60/70% of the track LeMans/Nords. Yep the AI (official Studio397 GTE content) is kicking in. When I run a solo hotlap no frame drops. With 'only' 10AI 200-250 drops per lap which causes a lot of stuttering. I really like the realistic look of the car/track but had hoped with my system I could also add a reasonable number of other cars on track at the same time with the Reverb G2. In 2D 49" 32:9 screen I can set all settings max with a higher number of AI.

One thing that still acts 'strange' is that - also with 10-15 AI - the GPU and CPU frame time are in the green area 10-12ms or lower. Only indeed at pit area some orange rimples. But still sudden heavy intensified frame drops aka purple spikes in GPU stats screen (not the CPU one) at about 60/70% of the track.

Maybe my expectations of RTX3090 in combination with a Reverb G2 were too high? And just wait for the much anticipated Q1 'optimization' patch for the AI cars. And in the meantime run with forced motion smoothing (45fps) on. See indeed no difference between 90fps.

Don't get me wrong it sounds maybe a bit negative but I'm really enjoying rF2 ;)

BTW that earlier mentioned flickering screen is new to me since my Reverb G2. With the Oculus CV1 never had that before even when running via SteamVR.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  18. Comante

Comante Registered

VR is still in is infancy, not much engines are optimized for VR, not even PC architecture is well suited for VR, so, tradeoff are ALWAYS to be made. I'm waiting to jump on the bandwagon myself, but I think I'll wait a little more, maily because RF2 and DCS are resources hog, and I don't have a GPU able to even talk about VR.

pkelly likes this.
  19. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I post my first impressions with G2 here too as i did on discord

my HP Reverb G2 first impressions using rFactor2 (racing sim):
    * not perfect but an amazing device
    * i knew before it has 5.5 times higher subpixel resolution than Oculus CV1. But the resolution blown me away from the beginning -> incredible!!
    * colors are very good
    * sound is very good
    * FOV is like CV1, but you get a lot more FOV by pressing the HMD on your face -> i need FrankensteinFOV mod in the near future.
    * sweet spot is no issue for me, its ok.
    * It is not Mura free - You can see slight Mura when looking on big areas in single color. not noticeabe in rF2 in race
    * black level is not good compared to CV1 OLED displays. you get a dark grey but uniform lit at least and no mura
    * there are no godrays on objects in the middle of the screen, but prominent godrays on objects with very high contrast near the edge or outside of your view. but my impression is those get better with less eye-lense distance -> frankenFOV mod. racing at day in rF2 you only very seldom see them, lot better than CV1
    * -> conclusion: HP Reverb G2 with rFactor2 is an amazing experience !! Happy i bought the G2! In fact I think one of the most amazing experiences I had in the last 30 years using a computer. you need a beefy computer though.

Regarding OP initial post:
    * At the moment (for the last 2 days) I only drive AC Cobra at Nordschleife with only 5 AIs. Too much fun and fascinating to switch to another combo. Using 74% SS and almost default rF2 graphics setup. only using 5 AIs cause Nords is performance hungry when near Nürburgring. With these settings i am stutter free (except near Nürburgring)

My setup: i7 3820 @4.2GHz + 2080Ti

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  20. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Registered

After the most recent rF2 update including VR improvements I started it 'as is - out of the box' without changing any settings. After a lot of packages updates again selected 20AI GTE grid on Nordschleife. Wow I don't exactly what you guys (and girls?) changed but suddenly a much smoother and overall better VR experience.

My findings (not complaints!!).

- While in game menu with the 'replay screen' on the left side I notice sawtooth GPU frame time graphs. When exiting a race and going back to the menu screen a lot of GPU frame time jitter.
    - I could increase the SteamVR SS from 50% to 100% (was for some reason not possible before this update). Eye candy 2.0!! That dashboard, display clarity, far distance details. Awesome! Still very low frame times, latency etc.
    - Still the sudden purple spikes (frame drops) in GPU frame time. Both CPU and GPU very low frame 7-9ms. Despite the sudden spikes. Read about a possible Nvidia driver issue but this is the only sim in VR which shows this behavior.
    - The masisve 'flickering gray screen' when exiting a session is gone.

Happy me! Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021