Reverb G2 noob issues and questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by avenger82, Dec 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I've recently received Reverb G2. It's my first VR headset and I have few noob issues.

1. At first I launched rF2 from normal desktop using Steam in VR mode, but not wearing the headset and after I put it on view was way off centre and my mouse cursor quickly disappeared.
    I found a workaround is to launch rF2 while wearing the headset and from WMR's desktop view, using one of G2 controllers.
    To make sure view is centred I kept wearing my headset during launch which took about 4 minutes in my case due to amount of mods installed.
    Is there better way/workaround to have mouse cursor and view centred? Perhaps in while in rF2 menus I can centre view?

2. Another issue I have that in menus I can't get cursor all the way to the bottom and top so I can't reach buttons (including Exit button). I suspect it's because I have my headset at 1440p(running half res), but my monitor is 1080p.
    I guess it both must be the same and I should increase the resolution to 1440p in game? Or is there different solution?

I didn't have such issues with Project Cars 2.

2. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Registered

I had a similar problem, but with the buttons on the far right and far left being inaccessible, and it seems to be that the new UI doesn't handle ultra wide aspect ratios (in my case 2560x1080), so I just selected a lower resolution and all was fine. I can only suggest you try a few different resolutions to see if it helps.

3. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks I have 49’ ultra wide. I’d rather opt out of the new UI because it seems unpolished to put it nicely.
    But how about better workaround for fist issue?

4. Binny

Binny Guest

well if you opt out you wont get the latest updates and benefits of the new UI which would have all VR updates. also use HMD mirror take off / lift headset and do it all on the screen. i always thought you had to put it on to get it centered properly b4 rf2 starts well thats what i do and do not get problems.

5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks I'm not a fan of new UI anyway I can wait few months until hopefully it's polished.
    I had warning that it has performance impact

6. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Not sure if this is what you are after , but if you go to settings Controls / Misc, you should find a setting for "VR Center Head Position". If you set that to some button on your wheel , when you are in the cockpit, you can press this button and it will center the view to your current HMD position.

Andy Bonar likes this.
  7. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Couple of things I noticed when I got my G2 (previously had Vive Pro) to get it to work properly I have to have the WMR screen on fullscreen. I was also getting a shipload of flickering on screen transitions and I finally found in the SteamVR setting that the SS was set at 400% (I have a 2080Ti), once I changed that back to 100% the flickering was almost gone, more like a little shimmer and only now and then, not all the time. I generally run it with HMD only option in graphics setup and run it 1920x1080 screen resolution.
    One thing I noticed that at 100% roadside boards eg 100m markers etc were a lot more clearer than at 400%

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  8. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks, Ive read that, but not sure if it centers position in menus. Currently to busy with other tings but will check it out. What I mean is that in pCars 2 every thing worked right out of the box in VR(except Simucube 2 calibration and HE pedals detection but that’s another story). To launch rF2 I have to put on headset, use controller and start it from WMR desktop, then my mouse works and view is centered, but cursor doesn’t reach top and bottom of the screen where the buttons are so I can’t do anything, including existing the game in normal way

9. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

You mean full screen for WMR app that’s launched when you connect headset? I always had it windowed, but when launching rF2 using controller with headset put on it seems to be fine (but I haven’t got to actuall race yet)
    How would you rate G2 experience vs Vive Pro in therms of visual quality and overall ergonomics?

10. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Yep, I launch rF2 from steam and it auto starts the WMR app and steamvr and the first couple of times the app was windowed and rF2 was a slideshow so made it fullscreen and no probs since...will have to check that again, just to make sure it just wasn’t a glitch the first couple of times.
    As far as ergonomics go, G2 wins hands down, it’s lighter and more comfortable than the Vive Pro. The IPD adjustment is also a lot easier on the G2 than the Vive. I do like how the headphones stand off from the ears, I actually hear better and my son is happy when dad’s not yelling into the mic when on teamspeak. :)
    Graphically for me the G2 is better, especially with trackside objects like the distance markers not being blurry like the Vive, and the other thing I’ve noticed is I can see more detail further down the track than the Vive. One negative that I’ve got is that in screen transitions in game I’m getting a lot of seizure like flickering (think strobe light) although it may not be the G2 but rather the game as I notice (in discord) that they have bought back 4thWorld (he’s the guy who did the initial vr stuff if I remember correctly) to sort it out.

avenger82 likes this.
  11. Binny

Binny Guest

try it no impact on FPS

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I start rfactor2 with SC4 and it start automatically without any issues.

Binny likes this.
  13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I switched to old UI and now everything just works. I still launched rF2 using controller in WMR desktop , but will try using normal desktop and mouse

14. glyn jones

glyn jones Registered

You need to go into the graphics config tool and set your screen res to 1920x1080 windowed, it's not going to affect your HMD res when on track, but your mouse will be able to reach every corner of the UI

15. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks, currently it’s fine using old UI , but good to know when I switch back to new one. I think I had it set to 3840x1080(native) and grayed out.