Released December 2020 Build Update

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Fer

Fer Registered

I think that the new ui is a great development and design work, everything is perfectly organized and has a wonderful design in which you can see that everything is very meticulously studied so that it is pleasant and all the information can be captured at a glance thanks to its studied graphic design in which the data does not seem to be thrown on the screen at random, without any visual guide that facilitates the experience, a great engineering job.

2. Imre Bende

Imre Bende Registered

not working with new UI
    F12 screenshot
    TAB names

Lethal likes this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My F12 has worked, but saved inside Steam. Here is one example
    upload_2020-12-28_15-21-41.png

4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

For me by default both steam and rF2 have F12 set as screenshot....changing it in rF2 to /, allows rF2 screenshots to be only taken on track, it’s not working in menus. Steam screenshots work everywhere.

Dady Cairo likes this.
  5. tpw

tpw Registered

I appreciate that the state of the ISI code meant an enormous effort to get the UI up and running, and it’s nice that it’s finally here and S397 can finally deploy their resources to some of the other issues affecting the title. Hopefully the HTML based interface means that the large number of design and layout issues as reported in this and other threads can be dealt with on shorter timescales. These aside though, for me the new UI still has several pretty major flaws:
    • Loading the game is now even slower
    • Loading tracks is now ridiculously slower, even once their shaders are rebuilt
    • Replays are now stuttering terribly
    • The built in content manager doesn’t allow me to actually remove content
    I fully support and appreciate S397s efforts to keep the game relevant, and I keep buying new content (well, maybe not the recent eCar) to allow them to continue doing it. But personally the frustration:enjoyment ratio of rF2 has gotten to the point where I don’t really drive much in it any more.

Mibrandt, R.Noctua and Kahel like this.
  6. Ferrari312

Ferrari312 Registered

Okay this happened last night: After an online race, was going to watch the replay with a friend in the new UI. "Hey from about lap 6 the action was good"... Looking in new UI replay window, neither of us could find a lap indicator lol. So, there is no clear way to see what lap you're watching in the replay. Here's some notes on the new UI replay window:

1. Yes, I did eventually find that there is a lap indicator at the leading edge of the scrolling standings at the top of the screen. Since it is scrolling it is useless. Also it displayed "lap 11" when it was roughly lap 8 of a 10 lap race. So the useless, scrolling indicator is broken.
    2. The position indicator at the bottom with the player change arrows is incorrect. The position indicator on the GT3 car front window was correct however.
    3. Really, really miss the gas/brake position indicator in the replay window. While reviewing with friends, would could compare pedal positions to help each other.

New UI has promise but don't make something default that is both missing key features and has several broken things that were noticeable after just 5 minutes of usage.

Balazs Magyar and Manfredk2 like this.
  7. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

While a lot of people worry about the UI (or graphics), I worry more and more about the physics engine :

Do you have the resources in-house to improve it significantly ?
    After 4 years, when will it be a priority ?

@Marcel Offermans

dylbie, Reiche and Balazs Magyar like this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

They've already said they will be looking into some aspects of physics next year.

That said, I'd be interested to know what sort of areas you think need improving (in a different thread), especially because you've talked about in-house resources for improving it. As far as I can see the super complicated stuff is working pretty well, just needs some additions on top - which are quite easy to describe, and would be correspondingly easy to implement.

buzz hornet likes this.
  9. Imre Bende

Imre Bende Registered

No. I tried, and no screenshot, not in rF2, not in Steam

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm not seeing this at all, Sim loading time is 20seconds (VR) same as before and track loading is the same. Try verifying files, removing old content you no longer use also helps as that can bog down sim loading times.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Right-click rFactor 2 in Steam -> Properties, click "Enable Steam Overlay while in-game". Then the F12 screenshot should work

buzz hornet likes this.
  12. tpw

tpw Registered

Thanks for the help mate. I did actually remove nearly all non S397 content (manually since the content manager is not working for me) and verify. It seems everyone has a different experience of the game, mine is unfortunately getting worse.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

As a last resort you could always do a complete uninstall/reinstall, this could help and is known to fix stuff in Games in general (not solely RF2).

buzz hornet likes this.
  14. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

do we know what this latest small update is about?

15. lagg

lagg Registered

Reiche and Alexandre Martini like this.
  16. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

About 20-30% fps drop with the new build. Unplayable with my original settings :(

17. stonec

stonec Registered

This build was mainly about the UI and competition system update, have you tried going back to compare with one of the older ones in the Steam betas tab?

18. Keeper

Keeper Registered

Something else missing in the new UI that is quite important but not mentioned yet: The Race Info area doesn't tell you the length of the upcoming race on a server (nor whether there's a formation lap, rolling start or standing start)! One rather needs to know that to plan one's fuel level and setup...

Also, when exiting the car, the monitor screen has no indicator when what you're seeing is not live. Sometimes I wonder if I had pressed R to go live or not! I've had to hit the fast-forward button to see if I'm watching a replay or live action.

Oh, something else: I tried the Favorite option for an online server... and realized I can UN-favorite it! Kinda need that too, y'know?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Wanderpoole, Emery, elbo and 2 others like this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Keeper mentioned several times (both of those), just in other threads more UI focused.

And you can unfavorite a server, but you can't do it immediately. If you go back in now you'll find you can.

20. Imre Bende

Imre Bende Registered

Fantastic. Where is the race final results after race (full race time)?
    This UI is a joke

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OLD UI

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    McFlex, Morbo, B. Gant and 2 others like this.