Unable to install server mod when joining a server

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by JohnW63, Dec 28, 2020.

1. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

I get this error when I try to join my hosted server. I ran the CMD update batch file after the new December update came out and it got a big update. Now, I get this error. The error screen suggests there is missing content. I could join the server before the December change.

My server shows ver 1122. I have no idea where to find the version I now have on my PC. Looked everywhere.

What do I look for? Anyone have a fix?

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I'm not sure if i understand you right.
    The server starts and when you try to join, you get a message about missing content?
    Did you also update the on the dedi installed vmods/tracks/vehicles?
    If not and your rFactor 2 installation, that you use to enter the server, is updated to the latest content versions, you'll get such an error, i guess.

3. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Yep. The dedicated server on my host is up and running. No issues. When I try to connect to my server from the new rF2 UI, I get and error.

An Error occured
    Unable to install server mod, most likely cause is missing content.
    Please try returning to the main menu, or restarting the game

4. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Did you check, if you have the content version (compare the version numbers) that the server uses, installed on your rfactor 2 installation that you use for gaming?
    As said, if the dedi uses old content versions, that don't exist in your rfactor 2 gaming installation anymore, you'll get that error, i guess.

BTW the installation build number can be found in the version.txt file in the folder
    ..\rFactor 2\Core

5. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Both are showing ver 1122.

I talked to me server host and have tried something.

My server host was able to run a check for updates on the server and found at least one. After that, the dedicated server was looking at a new X64 version of ModManager and it folders and not the one I used before.This was keeping the dedicated server from launching without complaining I had no mods to run. It didn't do this before the update was found. I changed the new ModManager to look at the previous installed folder and the dedicated server loaded up.

I was then able to change mods on my hosted server that uses a track I have installed and a mod I used last F1 season, and I could get on the server.

However, the mod I was running before the December update now reports a problem in the new ModManager. It says it's damaged. I assumed there may be a new MAS2 utility and found an X64 version. . When I try to create a new mod, with the X64 version of MAS2, it packages fine, but when I try to install it with the x64 ModManager, it tells me it's damaged as well.

One difference is the mod I'm creating used a car mod that is directly from the Steam workshop and not stuff I got outside the Steam workshop which my test track and car mod was created from. I had previously simply copied that content to my server from my PC and it worked. Until the December update. Is there a better way to move Steam workshop content to my server?

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I also just copied the installed subfolders of tracks and cars into the dedi installation and it worked.
    When you open the modmgr.exe, are the working dir and packages dir set properly (without \Bin64)?
    If yes, are the installed components and mods listed properly, without any error message, in the modmgr?

EDIT I did create a new vmod with the modmgr from the Bin64 folder now and it packages and can be installed without an error.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  7. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

When you open the modmgr.exe, are the working dir and packages dir set properly (without \Bin64)? Yes
    are the installed components and mods listed properly, without any error message, in the modmgr? Yes
    But if I try to install a new one I'm trying to create it shows up red and says it's damaged.

I just found that if I create a new mod without using either the cars Dallara 2014 or Indianapolis 2013, I can install a new vmod. These are from my subscriptions to the workshop and the other cars and tracks were not. I can try uploading on the workshop cars and see if they fail as well.

I tried uploading the vehicle folder and Indy location folder to the server , but the results were the same.

Bernd likes this.
  8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

That sounds strange, because it shouldn't make a difference, if you use workshop or non workshop content.
    I will try it out here, to see if it's the same for me.

EDIT I tried it with indianapolis 2013. I copied the whole folder from my rFactor 2 installed folder into the dedis installed folder and did create a vmod with it.
    I could package and install it and start the server without a problem.
    EDIT 2 It's the same when i use a non workshop car mod for example. Also no problem.

9. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Well, that rules out the content as the cause. It worked before the December update, so that's not a big surprise. Still, what should I look for , now? Got to be something about the server. Any folders I should clear out? I'm using 0.93 of the ModManager. I can the verification version of the CMD updater to check the update. The MAS2 utility doesn't ever give me any warnings.

10. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Got it sorted out. I deleted the folders on my server and uploaded them from my PCs " Installed " folders. When I uploaded the folders from my PC to the server a new folder was put around the folders I uploaded with the same name. I had a "DallaraDW12_2014" folder, with a "DallaraDW12_2014" folder with all the proper stuff inside it. Same with the Indy track. A folder with the track name around the proper folder. I need to strip off the first folder before moving it to the installed folders.
    I discovered this when I tried to make a vmod with the MAS2 utility. It didn't show any track layouts or teams and it threw an error about that. Removing the second folders fixed that. I guess uploading a fresh copy, after any updates to the cars and track were on my PC, was the main solution.

11. Goanna

Goanna Registered

@JohnW63 As a general rule of thumb, it’s probably not the best practice to be uploading the installed folders to your server, it’s better (and easier IMO) to copy the content rfcmp files from your computer to the server’s packages folder( or even use steamCMD to download direct to your server machine) and and using the server’s mod manager to install.

JimmyT likes this.
  12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Strange thing with the double "folder in folder", but good to hear that it works now. :)
    Happy new year

13. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Goanna,

When a product is "subscribed" in the Steam Workshop, there often isn't a package file to copy. It throws stuff straight into the Installed folder.

14. Goanna

Goanna Registered

When you subscribe to content, the rfcmp is downloaded to ...\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960 and put in it's own folder(made up of 10 digits..it's steam ID number).
    upload_2020-12-30_11-0-29.png

When you then start rF2 it reads what is not installed and installs to the game, but the rfcmp's stay until you unsubscibe, so if you can't download direct to your server, you should copy the rfcmps from the above location.

15. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Kinda' hard to figure out what 10 digit to pick, isn't it? To use that, I need to write down the Steam ID and then find the folder and then, copy the rfcmp. Or, I can go to the Installed folder and copy it from there, by looking for it's name.

What is the benefit to doing it your way?