Creating a track from local roads.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by green serpent, Dec 26, 2020.

1. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Hi guys,
    I've been bouncing an idea around in my head for a while now and I'm looking for someone to tell me how achievable it would be... if it's not realistic I'd rather have somone just tell me and then I'll put it on the scrap heap of bad ideas and not think about it anymore!

Anyway, over the years I've always been one to explore all the backroads around my town, and in that time I've found a few really fun sections of road. Disregarding most of the the objects road side, how hard/expensive/time consuming would it be to create a fairly accurate reproduction of the road surface (everything that is NOT the road could be exteremly basic, like basic green hills).

I have exactly zero knowledge of track building, but I own a drone, and I'm a photographer so I could take loads of reference images and kind of do a basic 'survey' of the area. I could also provide an in-car video and also elevation of each section of road. I'm just guessing what to do here - I would be happy to take some direction. I would probably start by creating a basic layout on google maps and then work from there going into more detail as needed.

Just a kind of cool sidenote, part of the road that I'm thinking of was in the first mad max movie so it has a tiny bit of historical significance in the local area.

Is this a realistic passion project to achieve or a pie in the sky idea (considering I have no track buliding skills at all).

Thanks!

Nick

2. Corti

Corti Registered

Race Track Builder

3. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Awesome thanks, I don't know how much luck I'll have figuring this out, but I'll give it a go!

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Try finding information about lidar data of that location. Sometimes it is publicly available.

5. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I can create a 3d model with my drone, though I think I'd need to purchase some fairly pricy software.

6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I don't know how expensive it would be to create points cloud data yourself. But processing it can be done free.