DEVMODE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrea1968, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

hi, sorry for my ignorance, but after the last update with the new interface how do you enter DEVMODE? thanks

2. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

click play on steam and you´ll get a launch menu with some options. you can also make a shortcut to the dev mode exe in the rfactor2>bin64 folder
    rfd.PNG

dylbie likes this.
  3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Click PLAY from steam and you’ll have the option to go to Dev Mode

Edit: ninja’d lol

4. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

What about ttool and ptool?

Juergen-BY and John R Denman like this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You have 2 options:

Shortcuts:
    • Create a shortcut to rFactor 2 Mod Mode.exe in Bin64. Change the Start In (working folder) to the rF2 root folder (take off the \Bin64). That shortcut will start devmode directly.
    • Modify that shortcut, or copy it, and add +ptool (or +tool) to the end of the command (outside the "", with a space between). That'll start whichever tool you want.
    Launch options:
    • In steam, right-click rFactor 2 and click Properties. In the Launch Options area type the usual +ptool/+ttool and when you click PLAY, select devmode. Then whichever tool will start.

It probably goes without saying I'll be choosing the shortcuts option :D

(Note: if you don't change the working folder, the game proper will start every time)

*fixed 'target' should have been 'Start In'...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    dylbie likes this.
  6. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Thank you Lazza, I will keep that in mind for when I change to the new UI. From the community feeling I don't think I will change until I absolutely have to. No interest ATM in the Competition System as I am working on a mod. Lucky I did the 40hr tyre run last weekend. Planning to do the chassis and realtime tests in between lots of food and lots of sweat(Central Nth Queensland weather) over the next week or so.

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I wasn't even getting these options, it was just launching the game immediately. On one hand I'd be interested to solve that. On the other hand I dislike how everything is spread and placed in garage so much, that old ui is 10x better at that job.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

9. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

I think that little steam menu was added not too long ago; maybe it didn´t show up for you if you used the new ui some months ago then went back to the old one.

10. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

Thanks to everyone for the info, the new UI is beautiful but for the moddev I prefer to stay on the old UI for the moment

Corti likes this.
  11. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

We hope that in the future they will put an option to go to moddev from the new UI which I repeat is wonderful

Corti likes this.
  12. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Well I had to check on a league server and launched into rF2 last night. New UI loading. Damn I forgot to opt out. Had a quick look, not impressed with the progress since I last looked(really, really NEEDS dark mode and speedier transistions/animations for a start but I won't delve into that now).

I thought I may as well set up my shortcuts, and if they work fine I will deal with this.
    Thank you Lazza, your instructions were clear and correct and all 3 work independently.

Woodee, it may have been there a while but, as usual QC/proof reading is lacking. The config instructions are wrong.
    The Start in: should point to rFactor2/ModDev. not rFactor2/DevMode/UserData.
    If you add the UserData it gives an error and goes to a default config UI, which I am guessing will have no bearing on how the Devmode opens.
    Maybe now that the Dev Guide has a recently updated list, we can see when their documentation is updated to correct this error.

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Yeah I forgot I needed to tweak my shortcut a little... @Alex Sawczuk possible to change in dev guide?

14. R Soul

R Soul Registered

I'm possibly getting confused by different people saying you need to do different things to get in to Dev Mode.
    So far the only one that works for me is post #2. It still uses the old UI which is a shame because I wanted to have a go at tweaking the new replay UI, but I do at least know it's worked.

The steam option isn't ideal for many of us. I tried a couple of shortcut options but none of them worked:
    upload_2020-12-27_21-25-6.png
    Also this variation:
    upload_2020-12-27_21-26-18.png

(note that I moved my installation folder out of Program Files.

As far as I can see those shortcuts both run the standard game. I see the new UI and nothing to indicate that it's in Dev Mode (I'd expect the additional on screen menus that show up when driving). Have I missed something?

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@R Soul If steam is closed a shortcut will only open the normal game. Apparently the game and devmode share the same steam ID, so you can't override this.

If steam is already running the shortcuts should work correctly.

R Soul likes this.
  16. R Soul

R Soul Registered

Thanks, I sort of discovered that myself as you were making your post, but I was using the +trace=2 argument to see if it would report something and probably would have thought that argument was related.

Confirming that the 'start in' path should end with "...\rFactor 2\"

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020