AI Brake Check - anyway to solve it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joker68, Dec 20, 2020.

1. joker68

joker68 Registered

Hello guys, I'm mainly a SP player on RF2 (the only title that I cannot join MP because there's always some "package" missing, no matter if you have track/car/etc) - so the usual "race online" answer to solve AI problems doesn't apply here. :D
    I would like to know how to prevent AI doing their "brake check" randomly when you're close behind them (no matter if in a curve, or on a straight, if there's traffic or not). They seem to do this deliberately to cause a crash or to put you off the track (as they have pretty powerful brakes with no locking wheels ever). Tried lower aggression to no avail (from 100% to 23%).
    Any hints are welcome. Stay safe. Cheers.

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Most folks think the AI brake far later than they can and that gives them an unrealistic advantage. One of the peculiarities of rF2 is how the AI navigate a corner. Once they complete their braking, they then alternate on and off the brake pedal through the entire corner. This allows the AI to maintain control through the turn, but creates a very immersion breaking pattern of flashing brake lights and on replays an of/off sound from the engine.
    If that is your issue, then the solution will have to come from S397. It was a behavior introduced probably when most of the other AI issues cropped up, v1109, about 4 years ago.

atomed and joker68 like this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

They also tend to get on the brakes if you tap them from behind, which can make the situation worse. You could try playing with the AI Usage parameters in your player.JSON to change their behaviour/strengths to some extent, but you are battling some shortfalls in AI in rF2.

This can also be content dependent (car and/or track) so you'll get variation.

You definitely should be able to join some servers, so keep aiming for that if you can find something that suits your time and content interest.

joker68 likes this.
  4. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Where are they brake checking you?
    I have found, in the AIW file, you have an AI fastest lap. If this doesn't match exact, at the start/finish line, they will brake there.
    This can be resolved by re aligning in Dev Mode.

gagipro likes this.
  5. joker68

joker68 Registered

Hi guys, my wheel broke, so I'm not checking the forum too frequently until it gets fixed. Anyway, back to the topic.

They brake check me in several places on different tracks. It seems that the AI cannot race really close to other cars (I've observed this effect occurring between AIs as well). Whenever you start to follow an AI from really close position (without touching it) you're "inviting" it to apply a "brake check" on you at some moment. No tap from behind, just sit behind it and "apply some pressure" (keep close) and then, with some frequency, they do a brake check. Not *always* though. Some Le Mans (non official) tracks have this behavior, and it occurs in different places - sometimes on the main straight, sometimes on curves, etc. Official tracks also present this, I recall Spa 1966 being one of them. It's like the AI sees you on the mirror and then, if you're really close for some time, you get a brake check. Sorry, don't know how to put in another way.

Yes, this behavior is well known, but it's not what I'm referring here. It's basically "braking on straights where they don't need to brake", but only if you're really close behind - otherwise they fly past the same spot pedal-to-the-metal.

I'm beginning to agree that this has to be something related to the way the AI is calibrated/programmed, and so only S397 can change it, because I've changed the AI parameters a lot to no avail.

6. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

I have noticed a few things similar to the above. I have not seen an AI brake check me on a straight yet, if it was a one-on-one fight. They sometimes do weird slowdowns when around a lot of traffic moving in a pack, like on the first lap. But when just two cars, I have not found any odd things so far. A few do swerve (away from the road) suddenly for no visible reason at all. I can only guess that they lost grip somehow and counter-steered, and immediately went off.

I also noticed that some AI (AI talent) tend to have poor braking than others, so maybe just an effect of assigned AI talent (high error chance). This looks like brake check sometimes, but having seen them on historical edition mods and only done by back-markers, I thought it might be that error effect.

Finally, I always find at least one instance where the AI will slowdown in the middle of a long fast corner when you are close (but very fast when you are not close behind), to keep you off balance. It is quite irritating and I am sometimes caught out trying to be as close for the exit, but it is also challenging that way.

7. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I have only ever seen this brake checking once, it was an AI line issue at Monza and they braked hard at start-finish line.
    Maybe get off their bumper?

The content missing issue;
    I had this and it was linked to a failure to verify message one one track ( Spa) that was part of the Competition system. So Spa was not present and correct.
    It was solved by going into steam inventory (not store) unsubscribe then subscribe. ( manual deletion of the file did not work).