[REL] Realistic Gearshift - version 2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Seven Smiles, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'll give it a test to confirm it's still working. In the meantime this setting occurred to me in the controller.JSON, I don't know if it would affect the way you're describing but I have this set to true:

Code:
        "Gear Select Button Hold":true,
        "Gear Select Button Hold#":"Enable this option if using a gear select device that holds down a joystick button while in a gear and releases all buttons in neutral (such as the Act-Labs USB Shifter)",

*And just to check: which car are you in? In case it does something special...

@Tnadz checked, still works the same. Turning off Realistic Gearshift and pressing the Neutral myself flicks it into N for a split second, then back into gear. If I press it quite quickly it's effectively staying in neutral, which is all the program can do.

You're right, it can't override the actual gear selection, it's only throwing Neutrals in there. Throttle isn't having any effect for me.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Seven Smiles likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

sounds like you have the auto shift option enabled. But since you are looking for a shifting app, that would not seem to be likely.

3. Tnadz

Tnadz Registered

@Lazza That's a very good find. I'll give it a go and see if that works. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm working with a team to try and get this to work for a Purist class in a historic series and it would be phenomenal if we can get it working. I'll come back and let you know if there are any changes.

atomed likes this.
  4. Tnadz

Tnadz Registered

@Lazza You are a genius! That did it. We experimented with it. The old version is required in order for it to spam the neutral button (current version only presses the neutral button once). There were some instances where having
    "Gear Select Button Hold":false caused the missed gear to allow you to engage a gear while the shifter is physically in neutral. But that was easy to clear by just popping into another gear or back in and then out of the gear quickly. Bravo.

Zoaal likes this.
  5. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Thanks @Lazza for the answers while I was sleeping.

6. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

I want to try this but i have a question:

My keyboard does not have a "Numpad 0" key. Can i map my "home" button instead (and how)?

7. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Change the value in gearshift.ini for neutral button from DIK_NUMPAD0 to DIK_HOME. You will have to map it to Neutral in rFactor too.

Haris1977 likes this.
  8. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Is there a new working version of this, i could try to trial it on my own computer to see how it works

9. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

@Seven Smiles

Hi.

Strangely, I've had rfactor 2 for almost 10 years and before rfactor 1, and I've never tried grinding tranny or this one for rFactor 2.

We learn something every day, don't we.

So for me it works, I find it a little too restrictive with the basic parameters, I heel and toe with all the cars I have owned, including on the track, and I have almost never had a problem or extremely rarely and nothing serious.

When I used the software for the first km, I was surprised to see that the noise and the gear shift prevented it from triggering very often.

I then did my two laps of the Nordschleife with few errors, but I am convinced that in real life I would not have had any problems.

So, I noticed that in this software there were two parameters which were customizable, and I would like to have a little advice on this or at least to have someone explain to me exactly what they imply and what that they do.

If I'm not mistaken it's about putting the number of revolutions per minute but I'm not completely sure I understand how they act, the few words in English that it describes don't help me since I'm not not English speaking.

In any case thank you, and indeed what a surprise to see that we can improve a little this huge gap in the physics of rfactor 2 by a mod that has existed for so long.