New UI - Bugs (27+3 and counting) listing, detailed reports.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Havner, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Havner

Havner Registered

EDIT: I've edited this post to contain all the bugs I've listed below in the consecutive posts.
    EDIT2: There is now also a second post with bugs that seem plausible but for one reason or another I have no means to reproduce them personally.

At the beginning I'll say that I have several "series" configurations made by myself in MAS2 and some of the bugs are related to them and possibly can only be reproduced while having such series. Things like, let's say:
    GT3, Endurance, Karts, FormulaE.

Bug 1:
    In the practice and qualify sessions configurations, options "Practice Time" and "Qualify time" can go down to 0. This 0 meant: "Default(xxx)" with 'xxx' taken from track configuration as far as I'm aware in the old UI. The meaning of this option is the same in the new UI, but the description does not reflect that. Should be 'Default(xxx)' instead of simply '0'. Much like is the case with 'Start Time' that works properly.

Bug 2:
    Floats rounding...
    "Session Settings" -> "Opponents" -> "AI Settings" -> "AI aggression", set to 25%, this will show as 26% in Settings -> Difficulty -> AI aggression.
    Set this to 33% in the former, it will show as 34% in the latter. Etc.

Bug 3:
    This comes from the session settings being saved with the selected series.
    1. Select some "Series1", go into "Session settings" -> Opponents. Set AI strength to let's say 90%.
    2. Select some "Series2", go into "Session settings" -> Opponents. Set AI strength to let's say 100%.
    3. Go back to Series1, go into "Session settings" -> Opponents. The AI strength is 100%, while it should be 90%. BUT. Hit '+' and it will go to 91% meaning that the correct value was underneath, it was just no displayed properly.

Bug 4:
    Launch the game, select some Series, quit the game.
    Uninstall this series with ModMgr, launch the game -> crash.
    This does not happen in the previous UI. It falls back to "All" taken from ModDev. Awkward, but still better than crash.

Bug 5:
    Let's say we have 2 tracks.
    1 with the following RealRoad presets: Light, Medium, Heavy
    2 with the following RealRoad presets: Fullrubber
    Select track 1, go to practice settings. Select RealRoad: Heavy.
    Select track 2, go to practice settings. RealRoad is selected as Heavy, even though this track does not have such a setting. I need to cycle RealRoad to select some correct value. I don't know which would be selected if I started the session with Heavy selected. UI does not reflect that.

Bug 6:
    This might be related heavily to my hardware configuration, so if you can't reproduce it just like that let me know what you need. The bug is simple.
    1. Launch the game and immediately quit. Hit exit on the credits page. rF2 logo will appear and the screen will hang. The game will not quit. Clicking on the screen will make windows detect the game hangs and propose killing it. Happens every single time. I even verified game files and cleaned whole UserData.
    2. Launch the game, enter some track and then go back to menu and quit the game -> this works properly.

Bug 7:
    Related to triple screen setup. Can only be reproduces with triples.
    1. Enter some track, go to car "Setup".
    2. The bottom, horizontal scroll bar. Click it with a mouse and hold. Move the cursor to the right (effectively scrolling). Move the cursor out of the middle screen to the right screen.
    3. Release the button
    4. Move the cursor back to the middle screen. The scrollbar is still connected with the mouse, even though I do not hold the button.
    The event for button release was not sent to scrollbar when it happened on the right screen.

EDIT: this can be reproduced without triples, Just release the button outside the area of a scrollbar. It will trigger it as well.

Bug 8:
    Not really a bug but a serious annoyance. The server refresh message that locks the UI for few seconds when I enter "Race" main tab after every game launch. Really annoying. This should be done concurrently in the background without locking the UI with a big ugly banner.

Bug 9:
    Again, probably related to triple screens. My setup is as follows.
    3x27" - 1920x1080 monitors.
    In game settings:
    Width: 600
    Height 337 (16:9)
    Eye distance: 570
    Side angle: 60.0
    Bezel gap: 15
    1. Launch the game.
    2. Enter customize for any vehicle. The car will be flattened. A little, not much, maybe 5-10%. It's not immediately visible, but if you position the camera looking at side of the car and take a close look at the wheels you can see they are not round. Flattened a little. Aspect ratio is off by 5-10%
    3. Now, enter some track, drive, quit to main menu.
    4. Enter customize for vehicle again. The car is not flattened. Wheels are round. Horizontal visibility is increased. Aspect ratio is fine now.
    Let me know if you need more, I can provide screenshots.

Bug 10:
    Launch the game with some game controller disconnected.
    Enter Settings -> Assign.
    Connect the device.
    Hit detect. The device will not be recognized. I presume, this option is not to re-detect connected devices, but to select a profile based on detected devices, but the UI is completely misleading here. "Detect" button is closer to "Controller" and suggests it detects new devices.

Bug 11:
    Opponents screen in the "Session settings"
    When selecting car groups in the "Opponent Filter" to be added to the "Opponents" there is no visual indication which groups are added, and which are not. The old UI had this.

Bug 12:
    Take some track where the beginning is not connected to the end, where you can't do regular laps, like hillclimb. For instance:
    https://www.simtraxx.net/shop/product/rf2-provence-alps-ultimate/

The autogenerated track map on the track selection screen "closes" the track connecting the start and the end with a straight line, even though there is no track there. The autogenerated map on the loading screen is fine though.

Bug 13:
    FOV settings, adjustable from 9 to 100, but the value 9 I think should be represented as "Default". That's what the old UI and in-game settings say. Similar case to Bug 1.

Bug 14:
    Control/key mapping settings for Brake Map Increase and Decrease (used e.g. in Formula E) and Arm Attack Mode (whatever that is) are missing in the New UI.

Bug 15:
    When unsubscribing from a workshop item, the game with New UI often does not uninstall the mod when launched. Never had such issues with the old launcher. I have to do that by hand in ModMgr now.

Bug 16:
    "Display vehicle labels" (the long lines above cars with their names) doesn't seem to work at all under the new UI. (default binding: TAB)

Bug 17:
    1. Enter some session (let's say practice).
    2. Hit drive. Drive for a moment.
    3. Hit ESC, go back to the Watch/Setup screen
    4. Hit "Watch", maximize view.
    5. The replay will be delayed for about 20secs, use the time scroll bar. It works.
    6. Hit ESC. This will move the time scroll bar to the current moment.
    7. Try to use the time scroll bar again. It allows to be moved, but will go back to current time after a second or two. Basically it doesn't work anymore.

This worked in the old UI.

Bug 18:
    1. Register for some competition session.
    2. Wait on the countdown screen that says that you'll join when the timer hits zero.
    3. Wait for the timer to hit zero.
    4. Observe: "You're too late" on the screen.

Afterwards it will try to connect to this session anyway, but when I was doing that for the first time it was a big WTF moment for me. Especially off putting that it was the last quali for Imola. So I though that I won't be able to join even though I did everything correct. Seriously misleading.

Bug 19:
    There is some serious issue with saving controller profiles. I constantly find that after saving my profiles contain other settings that I saved. Profiles that I have loaded earlier. I started to take extra care to see what I save and what I found is that:
    1. The correct file is getting saved, the one I actually had in the file name window
    2. What is getting saved is not correct. It's not the profile I have right now in the settings, but it's some profile that had been loaded earlier.
    I use 2-3 wheels and have separate profiles for them and this is starting to really get to me as I constantly have to restore my profiles.

To reproduce it probably something like this will be sufficient. Have ~4 profiles and do the following:
    1. Load the game
    2. Load profiles 1-3 few times.
    3. Load profile 4
    4. Modify it
    5. Save profile 4. There is big chance that inside the file of 4 might be one of profiles 1-3.

Missing feature/Bug 20 (the old UI had this):
    From @Paulfield

Assigned buttons don't highlight when activated as in the old ui.
    If pressed the onscreen function assigned button would turn orange.

Bug 21:
    Load a race replay. The 3 tabs next to the video (info, sectors, position) don't work completely. Like at all... They stay on the position they were at the race start.

Bug 22:
    From @Ike Tews

1. Launch 30min single player Race session.
    2. The UI shows the race as 5:00 instead of however long the session should last.

I get that at this point the Race session is indeed set to 5min (countdown, or something), but it's impossible to learn how long the race is at this point in the new UI. Both, in the top of the screen and on the "Event info" tab. Both show 5 min.

See this post for screenshots.

Bug 23:
    From @helyesadi:

In multiplayer race at the top of the screen in the main UI page the countdown is only visible if the race distance is in minutes. It's not visible if race distance is in laps.
    See this post for screenshots.

Regarding bugs 22 and 23:
    They are kinda related. The UI for the Race blindly displays the current "race distance", which is often useless (e.g. static 5 minutes for single player races), while in reality this should be context related.
    We should always have:
    1. The current race distance before the race (time and/or laps).
    2. The countdown when relevant (multiplayer races).

Bug 24:
    From @Flaux

When I watch the cars in the race/replay screen, the picture starts to stutter when the Overlay is visible or during its animation (when it appears or hides).

Bug/missing feature 25 (old UI had this):
    From @McFlex

No car information in replay. No pedal input, no speed info, no gear info.

Bug 26:
    The binding UI is bugged as hell. Anytime I try to rebind more then 5-10 keys it slows down, misses my key inputs and upon exiting the settings (arrow in the upper left corner) it goes to white screen and doesn't return to normal.

To reproduce start to rebinding keys and do 20-30 rebinds (to be safe). At some point the UI will start to become unresponsive and whole game goes to hell.

Bug 27:
    The whole UI is heavily network dependent. Most pages in the main menu try to connect to the internet for one reason or another (news, forums, competition system). The problem is that the whole UI is blocked until the connections are resolved. I have a poor network connection that can in some cases look like it works but everything timeouts. In such cases the UI becomes unusable. I have to wait 15+ seconds when going back to main menu waiting for all the connection tries to timeout.

This works fine when you have no internet. The connections are resolved momentarily (probably "no route to host"), but when the connection is poor everything becomes unusable (waiting for timeouts). This should be done concurrently to the main UI renderer.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. Havner

Havner Registered

Other probable and plausible bugs I personally have no means to reproduce:

1. (@McFlex) In replays of MP races with driver swaps only the last driver which was driving the car is shown all the time as current driver.
    2. (@Flaux) Using anything above Full HD results in grainy and blurry fonts. Seems to be optimized for 1080 only. Screenshots here.
    3. (@Flaux) Using a widescreen with the not-streched UI there are black lines left and right of the Overlay. Screenshots here.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    McFlex and DazzyD70 like this.
  3. Havner

Havner Registered

Bug 10:
    Launch the game with some game controller disconnected.
    Enter Settings -> Assign.
    Connect the device.
    Hit detect. The device will not be recognized. I presume, this option is not to re-detect connected devices, but to select a profile based on detected devices, but the UI is completely misleading here. "Detect" button is closer to "Controller" and suggests it detects new devices.

Bug 11:
    Opponents screen in the "Session settings"
    When selecting car groups in the "Opponent Filter" to be added to the "Opponents" there is no visual indication which groups are added, and which are not. The old UI had this.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    DazzyD70 likes this.
  4. Havner

Havner Registered

Bug 12:
    Take some track where the beginning is not connected to the end, where you can't do regular laps, like hillclimb. For instance:
    https://www.simtraxx.net/shop/product/rf2-provence-alps-ultimate/

The autogenerated track map on the track selection screen "closes" the track connecting the start and the end with a straight line, even though there is no track there. The autogenerated map on the loading screen is fine though.

DazzyD70 likes this.
  5. Havner

Havner Registered

Bug 13:
    FOV settings, adjustable from 9 to 100, but the value 9 I think should be represented as "Default". That's what the old UI and in-game settings say. Similar case to Bug 1.

McFlex and DazzyD70 like this.
  6. Havner

Havner Registered

Bug 14:
    Control/key mapping settings for Brake Map Increase and Decrease (used e.g. in Formula E) and Arm Attack Mode (whatever that is) are missing in the New UI.

DazzyD70 likes this.
  7. Havner

Havner Registered

Bug 15:
    When unsubscribing from a workshop item, the game with New UI often does not uninstall the mod when launched. Never had such issues with the old launcher. I have to do that by hand in ModMgr now.

Haris1977, mermoid and DazzyD70 like this.
  8. Rik

Rik Registered

Impossible to unsubscribe from the workshop contents.
    I've tried all sorts of ways.
    How i did :
    deleted subscription content in steam workshop, uninstalled rf2, deleted all files and folders in my hd of rf2, reinstalled rf2, the system still downloads the previously subscribed content.

I don't know how to get a clean rf2 installation anymore.

please help me

9. Havner

Havner Registered

I think neither this subforum nor this thread is a good place to ask for help.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  10. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Registered

Try going into your UserData folder and open up the Launcher.config file with notepad.
    Find the line: Disable Workshop Auto-Subscribe:False and change it to Disable Workshop Auto-Subscribe:True. In that way you don't automatically download all the workshop content.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Rik likes this.
  11. Rik

Rik Registered

thanks I'll try

12. Havner

Havner Registered

The new UI is the default one now and none of the things mentioned here is fixed.
    Is anyone from S397 even reading this forum on a regular basis?

Atsuki likes this.
  13. lagg

lagg Registered

They have said in more than one occasion that they read more or less all the forum, but don't answer most of the threads-posts

14. Havner

Havner Registered

Bug 16:
    "Display vehicle labels" (the long lines above cars with their names) doesn't seem to work at all under the new UI.

15. Havner

Havner Registered

Bug 17:
    1. Enter some session (let's say practice).
    2. Hit drive. Drive for a moment.
    3. Hit ESC, go back to the Watch/Setup screen
    4. Hit "Watch", maximize view.
    5. The replay will be delayed for about 20secs, use the time scroll bar. It works.
    6. Hit ESC. This will move the time scroll bar to the current moment.
    7. Try to use the time scroll bar again. It allows to be moved, but will go back to current time after a second or two. Basically it doesn't work anymore.

This worked in the old UI.

DazzyD70 likes this.
  16. redapg

redapg Registered

Bug 18 (maybe reported already?):
    When the Car Selection is in List View, the red Dropdown in the upper left Corner shows the "Series" Selection instead of the Car Selection.

17. Havner

Havner Registered

Isn't this intentional? I kinda thought it was. You don't need the car selection menu in list view, as the list itself contains that functionality. With the series submenu you can quickly change the Series within car/track selections.

18. Ludo21

Ludo21 Registered

Hello,
    After a week on the new Ui .... Nothing to do, I'm disgusted.
    I have a lot of blockages and back to office. During sessions with AI, the times get stuck, although the AIs are still running ...
    I even tried a return to the old nvidia drivers ...
    With the old Ui, I had no problems before, conclusion: I go back to the old UI.
    Nothing to do, I am disappointed ....
    My config: I5-8600K 3.60 Ghz, 32 Gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti and SSD

19. redapg

redapg Registered

You are right, the other Cars are also listed in the List View.
    But when i'm in the Car Selection Menu, no Matter in which View, i want to select Cars, no Series. ;)
    To select a Series, there is the Series Menu.

20. Havner

Havner Registered

But the Car Selection button does not allow you to change cars, it just allows you to go up by one selection. Something that's unnecessary in the list view. For car selection you have the rest of the screen.