Multiplayer random latency teleports car into another, launching car into orbit

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by svictor, Dec 7, 2020.

1. svictor

svictor Registered

A video worth thousand words:
    https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV17T4y1M7BR

In short:
    The leading car lagged, and teleported into the car behind, and sending the poor driver into orbit.
    (Note: the leading car was not damaged, and won the race eventually)

This problem started to appear since a version 3-4 months ago. This is the third time it happened in our local endurance league(6 hour race). It's a very serious bug. Hope it can be fixed.

2. zxd1997

zxd1997 Registered

Additional infos: it might often happens with screen freeze and the flash back like VLM24 Max Verstappen suffered, usually happen when someone left the server and others would be freezed for some seconds (depends on PC performance). And it would only happen in specific combine like M2 on Salzburg or FT60 on Pukekohe park or Endurance pack on 6h race at Silverstone (won't appear on short spirit races) (these cases actually happened) but other combine it seems fine.
    And another reason is lag, I believe the core reason is the same: netcode logic, screen freezes and lag will let the car position update not correct and then the server receive the client's response and update the "now" position, it just flash back because the client is much more behind the server.
    But the lag or response might be physic problem which can be forgive, but the screen freeze causing by someone left the server is the game's problem I think, plz check it thanks

svictor likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Assuming the lead car didn't lose over half a second on corner exit, I think physics freeze is the most likely. To lose that much time and it being at the same time as net lag is a coincidence (not impossible, just unlikely).

svictor likes this.
  4. Marko

Marko Registered

We are reporting this for years. Yet noone ever looked into it.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

6. Marko

Marko Registered

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You said (note: you.. not me.. no one putting words in your mouth...) "noone ever looked into it".

I get opinions. I see the same slow development, the same lack of certain features. I think anyone who doesn't is delusional. But people take it to another level when they say silly things like "S397 don't care". People are too quick to decide what other people are thinking (could argue I'm doing the same, but the evidence is actually there because they're saying it). Can't always judge intentions by (perceived) actions.

But there we had months of patches trying to fix physics freezes (mostly successful, from the majority of reports), and now you're saying it was never looked at. I don't get it.

That's all. I quoted what I was referring to, I disagree with what you said. I'm not saying there isn't a problem.

lagg and zxd1997 like this.
  8. Marko

Marko Registered

If we look at the page you shared, we see almsot weekly reports of same issue. Yet we dont see any reaction except thank you notes from one admin.
    If we had months of patches (most succesfull), you would expect then those reports to vanish, which is not a case.
    I can confirm that leaving lag issue is there, and it never has left the code.
    Also latest build (sept 2020) has no indication of any improvement in this case being included. Nor any roadmap from last 6 months.
    Can you point on exact patch that dealt with this?

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There are a whole bunch of posts from "4thworld", a separate beta branch for testing changes to try and fix the freezes, questions regarding specific logs to clear up potential causes. The beta branch was later merged into the normal game build.

Fixed? No. Worked on / looked at? Absolutely. Improved? Yes... these freezes were very common when that thread was started, they are now comparatively rare.

zxd1997 likes this.
  10. Marko

Marko Registered

What is disturbing, you are talking in past tense. Which kind of means that no one is looking into this issue anymore. Maybe we just dont have same definition of rare.
    Anyway, no point of you advocating s397 or me bashing it. It is on s397 to decide on priority.

Marko

juanchioooo likes this.
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

"noone ever looked into it".

12. Marko

Marko Registered

Noone ever succesfully looked into it. Will this settle your mind?

Marko

13. lagg

lagg Registered

What S397 did with this problem was a succes for many people.