Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

Good point, I'll look at it if there is any procedure to gain back the performance in oculus after enabling the new ui.

Ciccina2016 and Hazi like this.
  2. FERNANDO CABRERA

Ok, here are my findings....
    The update in the new UI implements a new version in the OpenVR Libraries (Steam VR libraries), that's the origin of the message ivrSystem_022 error.
    Using the striped down version of OpenCompose trows the reported error, but using the full release of OpenCompose works (https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR).
    Unfortunately the stripped down version is no longer been develop, that's why it shows the error.
    the main issue I'm finding is that inside the car, the mirrors do not work. I dont know if is an issue with OpenComposite or in my game.

I'll stick to the old UI for the time been, and using the striptdown version of OpenComposite.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    thekan76 likes this.
  3. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Thanks, that sorted it for me. Open composite working now with the new UI.

So to summarise. Replaced the DLL in the Bin64 folder with the OpenComposite DLL. Resolution wise, in the configuration app I normally run at 1080p full screen with display on both desktop and VR. To get this to work I changed to 720p resolution, windowed.

Now when loading a course the VR screen is corrupt but the monitor desktop screen shows the track loading.

Tested on the new Spa circuit with a GT3 race and all good. Tried again on same circuit and car config but with a wet race but it bombed out on a fault during loading.

Still testing to see how much of a difference it makes..............

Just to add to that, with further testing I found that from starting rfactor2 I can just about get any track and weather combination to load. If I have a race then go back to the main menu and load another race then often the result is a crash. Restart rfactor2 and it works ok again.

Aside from that, Oculus ASW seems smoother. At the moment I have frame rate set to 45fps in Rfactor2 config, using Oculus Tray Tool I have ASW set to 45hz forced. This means that my setup always stays in ASW mode rather than continually switching in and out of ASW. The result is very smooth and allows me to increase the graphics settings considerably.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    thekan76, juanchioooo and pilAUTO like this.
  4. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

I opted in to the new UI, I got a performance improvement using a Valve Index:)

Craig Waddell likes this.
  5. elbo

elbo Registered

The dll file for this makes windows throw up a trojan horse alert. I was wondering if others are getting the same result?

6. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I didn't use the full installation, just the 64bit DLL file. I've just got the standard up to date Windows installation with Windows Defender and it didn't report an issue for me.

7. FERNANDO CABRERA

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  8. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Not specific to VR but changing the process priority of all four rfactor2 threads from their default setting to 'realtime' has fixed any jitters and stutters that I previous had when playing in VR. Between OpenComposite and this my game has been transformed.

More information on the link below. If you have an older CPU then possibly go for "high priority" first in case "realtime" is too much for your system.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/processor-core-management.67902/

Agahnim likes this.
  9. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

I'm at a loss with setting up the game for VR.

I've read through the first bit of this thread and applied to settings. Ingame graphics are set to low (details, blur) or off (reflections). I run fpsVR along with the game to check out what the performance is on the fly. I also tried lowering the render resolution from the automatic default of 148% to 100% with no noticable boost in performance.

As soon as I run a 40-man field of either online competitors or AI the FPS wants to drop close to 45 FPS and barely ever boost out of it. I had this on S397's SIlverstone running changeable weather in the Chequered Flag league as well as their race on Portimao (3rd party). I can run 40 AI on Portland quite smoothly for some reason, but in an online race it's just dreadful.

I do have the same thing in iRacing when running a race (not practice for some reason), but the effect wears off quite quickly and stabilizes at the expected 90 FPS.

My specs are in the signature. Any tips or advice on what I might be missing? Much appreciated.

10. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I've got a 2070 and a Ryzen 3600 @ 4.3Ghz. I've done a lot of tweaking and get a near steady 80 FPS. The list below covers the main points.

1. Edit windows startup and services to get rid of absolutely all unnecessary CPU and RAM overhead
    2. Set all RF2 processes to higher priority. I've a 12 core CPU so have set to 'Realtime', you may have to opt for 'High'
    3. Edit json file to limit game FPS. I have a Rift S so for me set at 80
    4. Instead of using Steam VR I use Open Composite. Not sure if there is an alternative for your headset.
    5. In RFactor2 video settings (pre-startup) I have Anti Aliasing (3), post processing off.
    6. In game display settings I have:

Circuit Detail - Low
    Player Detail - Full
    Opponent Detail - Medium
    Texture Detail - High
    Text Filter x4
    Special Effects - Low
    Shadows -OFF
    Shadow Blur - OFF
    Soft Particles - High
    Rain Drops - Ultra
    Road Reflection - High
    Env Reflection - High
    15%
    Stabilise Horizon - High

Vehicles 10
    Auto Detail FPS 0

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Yoeri Gijsen and atomed like this.
  11. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Thanks for your reply. You're running much higher settings.

I'm going to try the process priority.

Any resources to help me distinguish what services I can cull from the list?

12. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Let me know how you get on. I must admit looking at your specs I'm thinking that your CPU might be more of a limitation than your graphics card.

Even if you don't want to overclock your GPU, if you download MSI afterburner then you can run the game whilst logging important data such as CPU and GPU occupancy and Video Ram and System Ram along with FPS.

I did that and found that my CPU was holding back my graphics card. Updating process priority seemed to fix that issue.

Yoeri Gijsen likes this.
  13. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

On the services front, I killed anything non essential that wasn't Microsoft, especially update type services. After that there are some Microsoft ones you can disable but I would recommend doing some Googling beforehand to check what they do. Some are self explanatory.

Yoeri Gijsen likes this.
  14. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

I'm not sure what to make of the readings, using fpsVR.

GPU frametime: ~16ms. 6.6 of 8GB (about 1.4 GB spare)
    CPU frametime: ~8ms. 13.3 of 15.9 GB Memory ( 2+ GB spare)
    150% Resolution.
    CPU usage about 40%. CPU logical load across all cores never above 70%, usually between 45 and 65%
    Quite steady 45-50 fps once I start driving, but that is just really stuttery.

120% Resolution yielded the same results.

@Craig Waddell

15. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Any idea on what sample rate FPS VR uses? I know that MSI afterburner by default is one sample per second (1Hz). Initial testing on my system suggested CPU usage was always low. I tested again at 10hz and found a good number of spikes in the CPU usage, often nearing or saturated at 100%.

Ideally you want to try and get your GPU sitting up towards 80-90% but that will only happen if the CPU isn't bottle necked.

I should add to that that Afterburner allows you to log data to a CSV file for analysis afterwards which is a whole lot more thorough.no idea whether Fpsvr does the same.

Yoeri Gijsen likes this.
  16. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Thanks, I'll see if I can get afterburner running.

17. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

One thing I didn't mention is make sure you have V Sync off in your graphics settings.

I spent quite a long time fiddling around on my setup, looking at performance spreadsheets after races. The end results were worthwhile though as I've managed to make great improvements.

18. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

@Craig Waddell I've never had V-sync on.

I logged Afterburner files. I've viewed them, but can't find a way to share them. How to do that?

I've also reverted back to driver 446.15 since apparently newer versions cause frame drops in VR and Nvidia hasn't been able to solve those: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...-index-missing-dropped-frames-since-nvidia-d/

EDIT: I have to add, after trying different session settings, that rain is a big factor. No rain: 90 FPS. Rain: 45-60FPS. Mind you, I have Rain Drop on Low and Reflections off.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  19. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Share the CSV file? I suspect you will have to use something like drop box. Not sure if this forum has a hosting facility.

That Afterburner tool is ideal for getting to the bottom of this problem. Firstly as you say it lets you quantify the effect of changing certain settings. Did you set the sample rate to 100ms? If so what CPU and GPU occupancies are you getting when the frame rate dips below what limit you've set? If when the frame rate dips the GPU is not anywhere near 100% then the likelihood is that your CPU is holding in back.

Rain, shadows, reflections and number of cars shown all have a big impact. So does track detail on big tracks. I've noticed that for the Nordschlife if I have track detail too high my gfx card memory maxes out at 8GB.

20. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Thing is, I can't localize the files Afterburner stores. The only thing I can do is to go to Monitoring options, click View where it addresses logging and then run the HardwareMonitoring app related to Riva. Could you inform me of that?

I've not adjusted sample rates. Didn't look for it, nor know where to find it.

I used Riva to create an overlay on the screen and put the VR set on top of my head, not covering my eyes, but still pointing at the road.
    GPU went between 70 and 80%.
    Each individual core mostly stayed below 50%.

Nothing looked bottlenecked too me.

Here's a cut I put together of that test. The first bit is of me in the menus.

[​IMG]