Lock to horizon function for VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lewi6, May 7, 2017.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I could never see anything wrong when i was playing on a monitor but my 10 year old Son (He's 13 now) always commented that the world is moving around the car and shouldn't the car be the thing moving , lol
    It wasn't until i got VR that i noticed what he was talking about , mind you i never tried looking for what he was saying because i knew once i saw it i would probably never be able to look past it . Now in VR LTH is not a must have but it is definitely nicer with it .

ebeninca likes this.
  2. Ernie

Ernie Registered

IMHO the implementation of LTH in iRacing works like a charm in VR. It's not completely locked, but really stable. And because of some build-in logics you can drive Bathurst, Nordschleife or banked oval tracks without any problems.

tiffarno likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@OzzyNeil I don't use VR (I did mention that earlier in this thread), I'm just trying to understand how these things impact VR, and specifically how a complete LTH actually works in certain scenarios.

@2ndLastJedi I'd say it's not really an issue on a screen unless you run low FOV. I run 28 deg FOV on my screen when I can get away with it so I get correct perspective, and certain car/track combinations are basically undriveable for me on that because of all the shaking around. Other people seem to be able to do the same thing without issue, so there's definitely personal preference in it.

In trying to deal with this I made a simple plugin which smooths the cockpit camera movement (much the same as the stabilize horizon option now does), and while playing around with that I tried a complete lock and got exactly what I'm describing - half of Bathurst was a completely blind drive because I was looking at my virtual steering wheel/footwell or looking at the cockpit ceiling. VR would let you look up or down in that situation (so you could choose to still look out the windscreen, wherever it happens to be) but it seems unlikely that would feel natural.

I tried a range of different smoothing periods (time) and chose one that worked well enough for me but still reacted quite quickly to slope changes, so I know for sure a longer time will produce a smoother view than the current High setting, albeit with a little bit of delay in slope orientation starting to become noticeable. It sounds like the iRacing implementation mentioned above does something along these lines.

4. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the topic but: do you guys agree that the cars bounce way more in RF2? (this is without lock to horizon and without head vibrations/movements in every case).

In real life F1 the onboards are also very uncomfortable to watch. Though the cameras vibrate relative to the car making it impossible to see how the car moves.

5. Ernie

Ernie Registered

@Studio397 @Marcel Offermans
    Sorry i have to ask, but is it considered to provide a "higher" setting to stabilize the horizon for VR user? The current "high" setting isn't stable (or better said "comfortable") enough for me, and as i read from other users i'm not alone with this wish.

Just to make sure .... i don't want a full 100% lock-to-horizon, but if you try to focus things on the track, the vibrations are still too much in VR with the current "high" setting. I made tests with iRacing and AC (with RHM) and there's obviously a difference, how the stabilizing is handled in rF2.

PS: My question relates only to driving in VR. I think it works fine on monitor, but tried it only once.

blanes likes this.
  6. Louis

Louis Registered

7. Louis

Louis Registered

if comparing 1992 benetton view to the drivers head movement at beggining you will realize that is impossible to humam organism stabilize drivers view so perfect as what we see on onboard cameras placed on cars (not helmet cams)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

7:00 is how i see it in VR .
    I need to get in my rig again !

9. Filip

Filip Registered

Helmet cams, GoPro cams, onboard cams... neither of these can show what driver really sees with his eyes.

Narrowbackwing, Ernie, Lazza and 2 others like this.
  10. Louis

Louis Registered

Helmet cams na go pro get the vibration ocurring to the drivers head and it is normalize by our neck only (not the internal work from brain and eys movement to compensate the vibration). Onboard views (placed on vehicles) are stabilized by whatever the stabilize system of the cam

https://www.quora.com/Do-human-eyes-have-optical-image-stabilization-or-digital-image-stabilization
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1164336
    http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1541931213571254?journalCode=proe

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021929017302579

But we dont need to go too far. We can estimate or made guesses based on observation and we can definitly rule out a complete steady view when driving at 300km/h. If you want to or trying to simulate what drivers see at that speed

This could be classified like na driving aid like turning rain drops completely to get more fps but having a better view than people not turning this feature off, like someone raised that question when Stonec discover this

ps:
    google this "WBV and visual acuity"

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  11. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Hello,
    Does the Game Devs actually reading this ?

Anyway I will add my input, there.

ATM I can't drive RF2 more than 10m in VR, after I just get motion sick. It's the only sim I have this issue :/

Can we have Stabilization : FULL, where it's REALLY lock to horizon like all other sims ?
    - Assetto Corsa : lock to horizon , on/off
    - Assetto Corsa Competizione : lock to horizon slider
    - AMS2 : lock to horizon slider
    - iRacing : pitch/roll chassis motion slider ( more chassis motion = more lock to horizon )
    etc..

My plugin RHM doesn't work in VR, because, opposite to how AC and ACC are working, the camera rotation is not additive to the VR camera rotation.

If you need I can provide RHM source code to game devs.

Here explanation how it works with scientific explanation why lot of people need this : https://sites.google.com/site/mididrumcoverpartner/rfactor2-realheadmotion-plugin

sherpa25 likes this.
  12. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

It's great to hear you're back! :) I agree, even High still seems insufficient.

BTW, you're link seems incorrect, doesn't work. Gives the ff:
    "404. That’s an error.
    The requested URL was not found on this server."

13. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Thanks for the kind words. I really like new rF2 content, so much improvement in GFX and UI. and FFB/RM is so great. And now there's proper content ( GT3, LMPs ) modern tracks. So sad I can't enjoy them :(

We don't want high, or super high.. we want full complete stabilization like all human eyes are doing :)

Does this link work ? https://sites.google.com/site/mididrumcoverpartner

14. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

No too. 'Google error'.
    upload_2020-11-23_11-28-50.png
    If it works in your end, maybe w/ my browser?

Regarding 'High', I mean close to 'Full High', as like in your video (from this thread: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/real-head-motion-for-rf2-rebooted-1-0-3.44531/), it seems the horizon still moves 'but just a little bit' to emulate the slight adjustment of the head/eyes on elevation changes/dips.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  15. magicfr

magicfr Registered

yes it is working my side , I can edit the website, and also see the publish website... maybe try to google it
    "sites" "google" "mididrumcoverpartner" and see if google can see it and then click the link given by google ? ( and past it here if it's working so I can edit my post )

EDIT , LINK should work now, it was in restricted mode instead of public

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    sherpa25 likes this.
  16. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Well my plugin for sure as way more parameters :D you can change for pitch and roll, and each parameters as a value from 0 to 100%.
    Like AMS2 and ACC for example.
    As it seems rF2 is not going that way, the simplest thing I ask is a FULL value, where it's completely locked to the horizon like in AC.
    For sure it would be better to have a slider, because pre-define canned value can never please everybody.

17. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Sorry, quick OT, what's the equivalent in AMS2, as now there's non-legacy and legacy mode too?

18. magicfr

magicfr Registered

* NOTE : Those are not my settings, I google search to illustrate.

Before it was World Movement, if you set to 0, it's Lock to Horizon.
    [​IMG]
    I think recently they changed it to Head movement. I didnt changed anything in my config so I guess, they convert automatically when you update the game.
    [​IMG]

sherpa25 likes this.
  19. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

So will it be a problem if they remove 'Legacy' movement (w/c I believe they said they will remove eventually)?

20. magicfr

magicfr Registered

IDK, just try :D