How slow/fast would this lap be compared to something of your guys’

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FORMULAEFAN71, Nov 21, 2020.

1. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

I did this lap on the 1988 mod (carrera.4 one) around Paul Ricard. This was my fastest, albeit, very messy lap of the session. Lap was a 1:07.451, It was .15 quicker than my previous quickest although that was cleaner and maybe I should’ve used that? But to the point, I wanted to know how would this compare to any of your times if you were to do laps around here? I want to know how slow i am. Or maybe you could try for yourself, just do the Ferrari, lowest fuel, lowest tire pressures, and brake bias 67: for the front. That all I changed
    Also a green track

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What rubber preset? Could make a big difference to times.

3. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Green
    If that’s what your talking about, forgot to mention in op

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thats very fast comparing to real laptimes from 1988. If someone goes faster, then the car or/and track is too quick.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I did 10-20 laps maybe. I really missed driving cars like that, and the track is just so right. Truly awesome combination.

I did 1'08'3 so far. I am sure I could get 0.5s off, but that would take time of getting used to the car more, and having some more practice, more effort into set-up. I wonder how much more to chop-off is in fully rubbered track condition.

Must say that my driving was a mess, and my front left tire was very badly suffering. I was driving like this a lot:[​IMG]

I used green track, lowest pressures, fuel for ~9laps. More coast differential lock, because car is too unstable with lift off with low locking rate at the coasting. Used slightly less front camber. Used neutral front toe setting, because turn in felt bit too sensitive to me.

FORMULAEFAN71 likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well, managed a 1:07.58, that time included a really poor last corner and was gaining around 0.3 on the following laps there (but obviously wasn't getting the earlier parts right). I imagine there'd be at least another half second (so around 1:06.7) if I was hitting some of those corners better, which makes me think a fast driver would be doing low 6s and an alien probably around or under 5.

Felt like it was in fast-forward (is that still a thing these days? Do kids know what fast forward means?! :p) because I haven't driven fast cars for ages, and as much as I admire Carrera.4 for his F1 contributions in rF1 I'm afraid this mod feels really really unpolished. Unless that default set has some issues I feel like this mod is more about learning how to drive it (and anticipating what it's going to do) rather than it feeling realistic. A lot like many rF1 mods actually.

On the other hand, a green track is never much fun, so maybe that's a factor as well. I'm not sure how useful that combo is for practice - and I hope you've adjusted the steering a bit, I had to put my wheel on 450° to make it driveable, 288° for that steered angle is insane. And my FFB mult was on 0.4 to kill the nasty feedback. But anyway.

Great to see the old 27/28 Ferraris though.

7. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Hmm I don’t know how unpolished you are talking about. Relatively, I think it is a very well done mod, especially compared to many others out there on the workshop. I’d definitely rate it on the higher side of things. Although I do give it extra points as it has a full cars and full tracks, which I think adds to the fun and value of the mod.
    I think you also imply that there are more “realistic” feeling F1 mods? Mind to tell my a few to try. I have got that 86 mod, haven’t driven it much since I got it though, and it only has league edition.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Unpolished such as steering feel (suspect the geometry is out, some FFB is plain ugly and cornering feel is lacking), default steering angle and lock (crazy sensitive), flat upshifts, external engine sounds about 8000rpm too low. I don't have an alternative for the same period, I haven't downloaded many mods, so maybe on balance it's pretty good in comparison and also maybe the default setup isn't helping with the feel of it. There are some very good 70s F1 cars out there (including S397) and some good modern F1 (FISI2012 is an obvious base) and overall this just doesn't feel like it's what should be in the middle.

I remember finding the rF1 version of this mod quite challenging and a little numb, I think he's moved it very well to rF2 but the average has moved up a bit so it's lagging behind. But that's only my opinion. Like any mod you can learn to drive it and find the limits, but sometimes it can feel more like you're just learning to play a mod instead of driving a car realistically (or being able to feel realistic things from it).

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes. I'd say the same, there seems some areas that could get polish, improvement for sure. But fundamentally IMO it is very good, to me the anticipation part of handling seems realistic right from beginning. I was thinking about it as I drove, I realized that anticipation part would only grow the more I would drive, naturally, just because I would be keeping up with the car better with more experience. I loved how the sliding worked at low sliding speeds, at slow corner exits, it just felt really right to me. The amount of grip felt true, the way static grip goes off, and then snaps back again. It happens pretty fast, actually I think it should be even more twitchy maybe, not sure.

Interestingly I have has similar feel about GTPC 1984 mod (was driving 934 and M1 the other day), I bet there must be something similar going on about their tires between two mods, and that is good of course if tires are good. I have been driving very old cars for way too much for the whole year, it feels awesome to get on driving something less old, 80s and 90s are still fun and much faster.