Released Nürburgring Nordschleife PBR Update

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 21, 2020.

1. AK1504

AK1504 Registered

They just have to lower their settings or upgrade their hardware ? I mean thats what you do on pc. And constantly progress in graphics, sounds, physics is important. Stagnation means regression.

But everyone that has bad performance should do this:

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....schleife-pbr-update.67565/page-6#post-1044145

before complaining about it...

2. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Hey guys i have put together a video to compare the old pre PBR and new PBR version. I really can't understand why the curbs were removed although in reality the existed/are still existant :rolleyes::eek:

I also used the same date and time so that the shadows can be correctly compared and in my opinion when you compare the shadows of the car to those of the trees you could assume that the shadows in the pre PBR version simply weren't correct and were corrected in the new PBR version. They seemed to be to long compare to the lenght of the car shadows.

Havner, Ernie, vittorio and 9 others like this.
  3. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

The missing curbs might be a bug/mistake?
    Best would be to link to the timestamp and tell chris about it.

4. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Missing curbs will be fixed, they were a mistake.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you misread that post, though it is a little confusing.

He's saying he's getting better performance on his not-great hardware, while (some) people with better hardware are getting worse performance. (compared to the previous version)

AK1504 likes this.
  6. Simonk

Simonk Registered

I don’t think it’s hardware issue. For some people the track appears to be using more GPU than it needs to. In one session it might use 70% and then in another identical session might max out at 100%.

7. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Thanks for the clarification. Otherwise the new NOS looks quiet nice

8. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

sure dude, look at this beauty green on the right that you like (click to enlarge, it's more beauty when it's big) :

rf2 flashy.jpg

I use the old version, for me it's the best. it's a massive donwgrade.

9. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Was looking for this kind of video, thanks McFlex.

The shadow may be too long in previous version but now, we seem have missing shadow, in some part... just look at 3:12 in the video...

Glad to hear that the missing curbes where an oversight... Maybe the same for some the shadow tree line and the road details?

It's no wonder some prefer the previous version... so much more détails on the roads: skidmarks, the difference between the smooth gp road surface and the rough nordschleife...

Overall, prefer the more natural look and what it allows of the new version... but careful not to make materials become that generic and skip on details...
    Because right now, even tough it look better in some aspect, I have to agree... it's a downgrade... and the original texturing was closer to the reference.

It will be interesting to see what has been done with the upcoming Spa... if the texturing stay generic, like the last few release or if it's just a transition period until some work get done on different road texture...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  10. stonec

stonec Registered

Actually it's the other way around, in a non-frame limited situation where GPU is free to push maximum possible FPS, GPU usage should always be at 100%, otherwise the game is CPU limited.

Davvid likes this.
  11. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Ah ok. Well in my case, I have fps limited to 60fps which usually has my GPU running at around 75%. On this updated track if my session starts out at 30fps, the GPU is maxed out. If it starts at 60fps, the GPU is at 75%. I'm running triples on a 2060S / i7 7700k

12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

The track surface is awful now! What are they thinking making it so flat looking ? It needs more markings on it instead of a flat looking clean texture! The old track detail looked way way better. IMO

13. stonec

stonec Registered

Well we shouldn't compare to the old version, we should compare to the actual IRL track, as the old version may have been wrong as well. I think people now have a bias to refer everything to the old track as that's what they got used to. This website lists some actual road pictures of Nordschleife. Apart from the skidmarks missing (but those are generated by rF2 realroad, which is another dilemma) it looks close to reference.

Braxton, Emery, Ernie and 4 others like this.
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Real track looks darker overall i guess due to rubber and i guess as "real road" builds it may look "better". Also maybe S397 could add some fixed rubber build up (skid marks) that are just a visual thing to add depth is specific locations along with the writing .

15. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I just ask myself, why is the gravel parking area at the Brünnchen green. Should be grey like it is in real life. That's such a strange thing to do, no? The hole area looks a bit wrong in my view... but that's something that has been in the old version aswell. Not sure why.

Overall I am a bit puzzled by the new version. It has details where the older one didn't have this detail but is overall missing contrast and therefore looks a bit washed out yes. You can argue about grass colors. The ring can be seen in both variations, so, that's not a problem in my book. The trees aren't very uniform within the scene. They often look out of place. It is like they forgot how to use the new shaders after their latest Lemans. That is stll the benchmark and the new Ring-Version is not on the same level.

muzikant and mesfigas like this.
  16. Alex Sawczuk

fwiw, on the shared video, it looks like they are not the same date. The tree shadows in the pre-pbr version are not of a suitable length for 1st June at 1pm anyway. The sun will be completely overhead at that time, and not really casting long shadows across the track.

17. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Maybe take this as feedback then. Make it so we can select a date, rather than one being set by the track, which apparently changes in updates too. As far as I have found, we can't do that, and if we could, it's probably hidden in a json somewhere.

18. Alex Sawczuk

You can't and I don't think it's a good idea. It's not guaranteed the track will look optimal on all dates for various reasons.

Travis and Remco Majoor like this.
  19. McFlex

McFlex Registered

It is exactly the same date and time in both videos as i wrote in my post. Look at the car shadows. They are exactly the same

20. lagg

lagg Registered

It's interesting, how have you configured the date?