Released Nürburgring Nordschleife PBR Update

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 21, 2020.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Nice surprise to see cars that don't have a UI picture now have a car with a cover over them instead of a blank place :)

Edit: to talk of the updated Nords, im happy enough with the overall new look but at night there is significant LOD issues with headlights and track lighting, its like my and other car headlights keep going to high beam or something and well performance is very heavy now! Certainly need to re look into graphic settings now for this track :(
    It would be nice if S397 could inform us as to what settings are making it so hard to run the game now on this track or do we need to change one setting at a time and wait the 3 minutes to load the track over and over again to find whats so heavy now ??

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Emery and DrivingFast like this.
  2. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I think that Studio 397 have brought some great content and large improvements to what fundamentally is a flawed platform. But also flawed with massive untapped potential.

Releasing updates and products for PC will always be a challenge because we all have different spec machines and also use them differently i.e single monitor, triple monitor, VR!

On top of that, high quality updates take time. Without a doubt S397 are pushing out great quality work.

As the old pre-update tracks and cars obviously exist, then it would be great to somehow retain access to earlier versions should they be preferred for whatever reason. I appreciate that's an easy statement to make but the reality of implementation and web hosting no doubt means it's far from simple.

All said and done, RF2 is moving forward which has to be a good thing. Without that effort it would rapidly die.

3. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

You can use the older Version of the Track (in your Game Folder) an create your own MOD File, with this you have both Versions available in the Game an can use it.

Craig Waddell likes this.
  4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

But where to get the older version if Steam has already updated it?

5. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Once the old version has been overwritten by the steam update how do you get another copy of the file? I'm assuming of course that it has been overwritten.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This all started with Alex noticing a lot less shadow when driving along, the detail was only to prove that the sun angle wasn't the cause.

7. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

Look in your content download folder in steam or in your installed Folder in Rfactor2

Craig Waddell likes this.
  8. Travis

Travis Registered

Thank you to all at S397 for the track update; very unusual in the sim world to receive free track updates of such magnitude.

Keep up the great work @Alex Sawczuk and others in the track art department.

9. Magus

Magus Registered

Had to do a complete fresh install of Rf2 after the track loading just wouldn't initiate in the old or beta UI. I could see in the old UI the yellow bar was just stuck at zero, even if I left it for 10mins.

Regardless, all reset & loaded. Looks amazing. Drives even better. Thank you!

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I haven't noticed any night issues, but perhaps thats because I run cars with old headlights that aren't very powerful. I generally have very good performance in updated Nordschleife, but it goes down quickly with more cars and in nigh or low sun angles, but thats just like most rF2 tracks perform for me.

I am very curious how I with bellow mid-end PC experience improvement, and those who was able to get good performance before, can't acheve it now...

It seems to me like the track particularly is sensitive to amount of cars being in close distance to the player.

Also I have timed loading times today. For the absolute first time loading 24H layout I waited for 3minutes 57seconds, the second time it went down to 1 minute 46seconds.

P.S. track looks fantastic. Almost perfect. As long as you don't try searching for anything that isn't lol There are so much of tiny bits that can be criticized. I have seen: little gaps in the terrain mesh near to Caracciola Carousel, trees UV taking a bit of the next tree, some treewalls really gives out because they seem not to have their normals to be vertical (perhaps thats compromise for their nice new shading technique), in few places the spectators zones looks like they could use some AO bakes into terrain, there are still various off track zones that feels too empty, a special terrain decal under guardrails could be realistic, in many places there seem to be only single tree row separating track from treewalls that are very close.......................... ISSA BIG TRACK

11. sg333

sg333 Registered

I have reset custom json settings and back to getting maybe 80-90% of the performance of the previous version, so happy enough.

Under the "right" lighting parts of the track look perfect and very real, but under certain types of light trees especially can look a little strange.

12. CaptainPingu

CaptainPingu Registered

looks really nice, love all the details. Thanks for the great work!

13. Emery

Emery Registered

On my vintage system (3.4 GHz i7-4770), first load of endurance layout with single car was 8:35 (ugh!) after clearing cbash & shaders. Second load was 2:35. Closing rF2 & reopening, the loading time was 1:57.

14. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Me too...

15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Sorry but lmao

Emery likes this.
  16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It should be something else. I have i5-7600K 3.8GHz, it is not overclocked, and it is not that much better according to this: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-4770-vs-Intel-i5-7600K/1907vs2919

I also run HDD, SSD which I suppose would probably load faster.

By the way... someone in RD said that he found great track perfrmance increase when lowering opponent detail level, so I suppose I was right when I assumed that this track is more sensitive to opponents being near to the player.

17. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

I’ve noticed that sometimes after loading i have bad fps but then if i move to next session fps gets a boost. Going from qual to race.
    Need to do some more testing to try and isolate some stable setting but load time is around 5 mins with 60 cars which makes testing different settings and cars a bit of a chore.

Track is lovely though, so hopefully worth it in the end.

18. Nicolas Pailhes

Nicolas Pailhes Registered

Same problem here

19. Stephan Stiel

Stephan Stiel Registered

20. AK1504

AK1504 Registered

"the green is awfully flashy" ? So you prefer the old green of the gras ect ? It just looks so bad to me... When was the last time you saw real gras ? :D

I have pictures for you:

20201023_142953.jpg 20201023_143010.jpg

And this are the real world colors with overcast conditions ^^

Or some fresh Spa 24h pictures... Believe it or not the real world and real world racing is very colorfull... :p

Ek7ybx9XYAELCQC.jpg Ek7ybtyXYAIbXKO.jpg Ek7ybuiXYAQK4M5.jpg ElAOM7XW0AIvXy6.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Travis and Martin Vindis like this.