Released Nürburgring Nordschleife PBR Update

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 21, 2020.

1. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

The-relationship-between-the-sun-elevation-e-object-height-H-and-shadow-length-L.png

BEFORE SHADOW POST
    shadow2.jpg

AFTER SHADOW POST
    shadow1.jpg
    So it proves that the lenght is exactly the same and at the same place, so the sun is exactly at the same position.
    So it confirms that only the trees shadows have been reduced like I've said here https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/nürburgring-nordschleife-pbr-update.67565/page-2#post-1043705

edit : clear 'shader' and 'cbash' or change dx11 shader option didn't change anything.
    I will live with that, the 1.78 is very good already for me, I will use the 'old' version.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Balazs Magyar likes this.
  2. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Really, that this is still an rF2 thing in 2020 for me is unbelievable. One way to p*ss off users wanting to pay money. Though I never had to clear cbash and shaders, using rF2 form the beginning in 2012, not a single issue. Only always just updated without a problem. Well, I remember only one reinstall when S397 switched to Steam.

3. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I've just cleared out those two folders and for some reason my VR FPS has taken a dive. Not happy!

4. elbo

elbo Registered

complete unusable slide show now. can I get my money back now?

5. Stephan Stiel

Stephan Stiel Registered

Hello,

the trees are much smaller and in a different place, for me it is only logical that the shadows are shorter and smaller.

Much worse are the FPS collapses. Before I had over 100 FPS and now after the update with the same settings between 25-40 FPS. This is really annoying, even if only on the Nürburgring.

Greetings Stephan

4AB20C2F-F03D-46E7-A99A-A0B900ED2A71.jpeg

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Chris Elliott has on multiple occaisions, recomended clearing out those folders. He even created a thread to provide a one click batch file to automate the process:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-simple-way-to-clear-shaders-and-cbash.55446/
    are you really surprised that completely overhauling the graphic subsystem would not cause any conflicts with previous versions?

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

@davehenrie For me this is a thing that just should not happen at all (yes, rF2 is not mainstream and people are forgiving). Though I don't think that this is a new introduced problem by S397. Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can remember from 2012 when rF2 started at forum, I always have read when in doubt: "clear cbash and shaders folders and see if it magically fixes your problem. "
    Just saying: Using rF2 since 2012, always only updating, I never needed it. Never had a single problem. And I think, if a problem, its not introduced by S397. So S397 just playing firefighters again. But yes, to close the loop, this is not an excuse.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I averaged 90fps to 120fps with 50 cars and that is with a 5 year old RX480x8 running 19x10. Refunds are available only immediately after purchase depending upon Steam's refund policy. Check there. I would suppose systems with low video memory might be the ones to suffers the most. But then it should have also impacted the previous release.

9. elbo

elbo Registered

previous release was working fine (track detail low, shadow high) in VR, now everything on low it is undrivable...refund unavailable through steam now.

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Reading that some people has worse or much worse performance is really strange. Perhaps we really live in different realities like @Comante said in this thread before: "Reality does not in fact exist, each of us build his own reality based on their perception of the world surrounding us." :D There should really be a good reason how those differences happen lol Maybe we should figure it out, instead of asking for refund after a full year of product usage lol That definitely does not make sense in reality that I have built haha

twinkle and Stephan Stiel like this.
  11. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

very good work on the North, it's nice to see the small details, finally we feel a circuit that has lived with a beautiful patina and that is alive!
    I had to lower the graphic options because I was too greedy to be top fluid on my config! (I5 9600k & GTX 2060 & 16Go ram screen 34 21/9 3440x1440 for 85FPS everage!)

12. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Further info on my FPS issues. I have a nvidia GTX2060S. 60FPS limit
    Nurburgring 24H track
    GT3 35 cars
    I’m getting random FPS. Start the race and go to grid and I might have 60fps on the grid. Exit back to main game menu and reload race and next time on the grid will be either 30, 45, or 60fps approx. with no changes made to settings. This will also happen if I select Restart Race. So if we start at 60fps and select Restart Race, there might be 45fps on the grid at restart. If the race starts at 60fps it will drop to 55 on some parts of the GP circuit then settle at 60fps on the Nordschleife but with some micro stutters. FPS will drop in the GP section lap after lap at the same spots. If the race starts at 30-40fps it won’t climb up to 60fps at any point Again it is worse in the GP section even after a few laps. GPU is maxed out at 100% and shared GPU memory is at about 20%. If the race starts at 60fps, GPU is at about 75% with very little shared GPU memory being used. Hope this helps. Maybe if others having FPS issues could check this it might help S397 sort it out

Nicolas Pailhes likes this.
  13. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I've claimed that the trees shadows were reduced....everybody has said that the sun position was not the same.....I've proved with maths here https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/nürburgring-nordschleife-pbr-update.67565/page-5#post-1043877 that the sun was at the exact same place....now you claim that the trees are smaller....now look here https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/nürburgring-nordschleife-pbr-update.67565/page-2#post-1043711 the trees have exactly the same height, but with a massive downgrade resolution.

it's not a problem but I claim again what I've said : the trees shadows have been massively reduced and the trees resolution quality has been downgraded. Nothing can fake my expert eyes.

The graphics colors are really close to Project cars 3....don't know if it's good or bad....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  14. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Registered

The level of shadow detail may have changed, depending on the level of detail you have set in game?
    If you are not at max setting the scale may have been altered, so 'medium' may now be what lower than what it was.
    Or, the shadows weren't reading the correct level to begin with (e.g. even if you had 'low' shadow' detail it may still have
    been reading as 'high'. Now corrected)???
    Possible?

15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

How can I use the older version also if I want to test the differences? My Steam already updated the track but I would like to continue driving the older version also to test.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

To be fair the maths/diagram wasn't really necessary, the revised shots you put up had the post shadow obviously the same. The other shots weren't exact but presumably you had the same time of day and the first matched, so all good.

The trees do appear to have changed shape, which will obviously affect their shadows. It's possible some have had their shadows turned off which I think is what you're suggesting, it shouldn't be too hard to work that out by checking.

If the number and shape of the trees has changed significantly this might be to make it more realistic - should also be verifiable.

17. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I too would like to know if I can somehow use the old version. Purely because it is a whole lot more stable from an FPS standpoint in VR.

I've got a fairly decent system so this shouldn't really be an issue (Ryzen 3600 all core OC to 4.2Ghz, GTX2070 GPU OC +200mhz, memory OC +1Ghz, 32GB DDR4 3600, 2 x 1TB m.2 NVME drive).

Guess I need a 3080 now!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

What resolution and frame rate are you trying to race at?

19. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I'm using a Rift S, set to it's high quality setting for all applications. Also have supersampling set to 1.3.

I've used these settings for some time now and normally get a relatively stable 80fps. RF2 has always been a bit problematic with some circuit and car combinations but the old Nordschlife gave me a nice steady frame rate.

20. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

With posts like this I always wonder if people have ever driven a lap at race speed. It is more likely that they take a close look at every track object and then supposedly find that it is not correct. How much fun can you take away from yourself?

I am also like details and want a faithful replica of reality but I also want to drive and not examine the replays for mistakes...which might not be any, but that is another matter.

From my point of view I like the update very much, And I think it comes closer to reality than it was before

twinkle, pkelly, lagg and 3 others like this.