Released Nürburgring Nordschleife PBR Update

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 21, 2020.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

No, it was already laser scanned, unless they obtained a new scan the road layout is obviously the same.

Regarding graphics, since everyone disagrees about the end result, it seems the track is fine :). If every criticism was the same you could make a point, but graphics in 2020 have got so good people are mostly arguing about taste now. I think even monitor calibration alone can explain some of the deviations.

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

There is no taste about realism. Art side - yes. But realism side - no. Visuals just like phyics or sounds does not change depending on taste IRL.

I also had an impression that the track is smoother now, but I actually drove very soft cars, so it was probably that.

twinkle likes this.
  3. Stevy

Stevy Registered

I can also confirm that the track feels smoother now. I did a quick test with the Oreca (just GP track) and GT3 (Nords).
    But I really don't think we got a new scan or something so I guess it's a big placebo effect.
    Or did they perhaps change the "track resolution" for more performance ?

twinkle likes this.
  4. Comante

Comante Registered

Maybe is a side effect of increased FPS. (the smoother perception of the surface).

"There is no taste about realism. Art side - yes. But realism side - no. Visuals just like phyics or sounds does not change depending on taste IRL."
    This statement is pretty wrong. Each of us is looking at the same game, but with different settings, different hardware, and with different perception of reality. You would be surprised how differently people perceive "reality". Reality does not in fact exist, each of us build his own reality based on their perception of the world surrounding us.
    Add to this that we have different monitor technologies that perform wildly differently in contrast, color, gamma, etc, add to this that many people can't bother to check their settings (or push them to have brighter colors, or blacker blacks), and that the room in which the monitor is placed impact on the perception.
    Last but not least, this is a freaking rendering made in few millisecond, it CAN'T look like a photo. A photo is not an accurate representation of reality too, most often than not, people don't see the contrast or color depth of a photocamera. Is just that you believe to see colors with your eyes, but they often are not really how you imagine them.

5. Kahel

Kahel Registered

That's fair to argue that subjective views might be even more important than reality... at the end of the day.

However, it's a mistake to ignore the importance of the interaction between person and reality... and how it shape the subjectivity...

With that postulat, it become hard to ignore the importance of the underlying knowledge, based on reality... that can, of course, be study without the ontologique bias (subjectivity)...

And that's what Mantasing... was talking about... Just throwing it away because of the human bias you describe is a big methodological oversight. If you understand well the all interaction process at play here.

6. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Track looks great but it has killed my FPS compared to previous version. In single player I was running 45 cars at a steady 60fps limited. Now I can only run 25 cars to get the same performance. This is the GT3 cars. If others are reporting improved FPS, does anyone know what could be going on?

Balazs Magyar likes this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, I argued to stonecs statement because it means that any existing lack in recreating appearance (or anything really) in simulation is pretty much "done" if people perceive certain things differently. It is wrong logic. If one guy says that contrasts are too low, and other guy says that contrasts are too high, it does not add up and cancel out each other meaning that contrasts are perfect. It could be so by coincidence if both went opposite direction from the correct point of reference, but more likely it means that someone has went to opposite direction from being correct and other went in correct direction.

"Reality does not in fact exist, each of us build his own reality based on their perception of the world surrounding us." I don't see how this statement is not pretty wrong. This does not fit for reality, this does fit to virtuality because there we depend so much on our ability to observe and knowledge. The only argument there could be that someone has really messed up monitor/video settings, having wrong settings is not a part of perception, it is just having wrong settings and then the feedback is obsolete. Also when we talk about complex technical stuff we also have to avoid being abstract, because one might be unclearly referring to something. Last but not least people has this ability of being wrong, and thats why we discuss in the first place, and it is a good thing to do that.

Reality does not change even if perception changes. If my eyes, my mind see the real view, see the picture or digital computer graphics rendering differently to someone else, the differences should seamlessly be the same in real view, in picture and in digital computer graphics. Colors in particularly don't exist indeed. We make them up, from electromagnetic waves that the colors truly are. So electromagnetic waves is a source that is a reality of what we see and they exist very much identically for everybody.

Few weeks ago I watched this fantastic video about colors, one of the most interesting thigs that it teaches is that contrasts are way more important for us:

pkelly likes this.
  8. Kahel

Kahel Registered

On a general note, careful not to mistake memory allocation and memory actually needed... both very different... game tend to allocate as much as possible, doesn't mean the software require it...

I guess you already know that... my testing and finding, a year ago, with a gtx1050 ti 4go and even a gtx780 ti 3go would be weird since I could run the game with the higher texture setting possible. So my guess is that you meant this track in particular use 6 ti 8go...

So owner of gtx 1050ti 4go... I would be curiose if you are able to run this track with max resolution setting.

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Speaking of colours, my family is 5 people and 3 see this dress as black and blue and myself and oldest son see it as gold and white :confused: That is crazy! There is also an audio of similar illusion (Google "Yanny or Laurel" if you want to see what you hear) :cool: For reference i hear Laural ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  10. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Track looks pretty nice now, IMO. No more rF2 blueshift(TM) and seems to have a little art pass, spotted changed kerbs and trees. Nice one.

11. twinkle

twinkle Registered

Guys but the curbs! For example right turn in “hoheneichen” where one would cut over the curb. That one is no more. Am I seriously only one noticing this. Also “kottenborn” much less bumpy, almost no brakes needed unlike before.

12. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

Yeah some places are a bit unreal

13. sg333

sg333 Registered

Their previous pass gave the track super performance, I had 130FPS with 30 cars. This update has thrown all that out the window, I am getting drops to 40fps with 8 cars

14. mister dog

mister dog Registered

Still have to try it for myself but the lighting does look a lot better to me. Trees look a bit downgraded at times looking at the screenshots in this thread but I guess that was done to improve the frames.
    One thing I do agree with from the video (not related to the ring), is that I would really like to see improvements during dusk/dawn when it comes to headlight strength. During those times the track surface gets quite dark already and even though your headlights are already on, they only start working when it becomes proper night. Makes it hard to see where you are going. Also I think in general headlight strength could be increased a bit overall.

15. mjo1704

mjo1704 Registered

the track is fine but the lack of reflections from the wet road surface reduces the feeling of reality, for example the trees are not reflected as on the lemans track

16. Comante

Comante Registered

Tradeoff have to be made. I think people does can't simply blame poor performance, poor look, and pretend everything get a boost . .. except their hardware. This is unfair . .. to remain polite.

pkelly likes this.
  17. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

at 9:39, check the right hander at this point in the video... that turn is changed even though the real track did not.

18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

The kerb on the inside at 14:48 also doesn't seem to be changng quickly enough to match up :D

Watching Ermins video I think I really need to get RTX 2080. NVIDIA pls produce enough of 30 series so 20 series could go cheaper in used market maybe ?

I think Ermin is right about the tarmac textures in Nords now, I personally think these new textures are surely a lot nicer and higher quality, let alone shading being much better. But there is something about all that PBR stuff that begins to feel bit of generic, it does seem like the textures used are all visually very similar in different tracks, that gets more noticable when there are less variation per those textures themselves. But then...Kunos for AC always reused a lot of same textures and it never felt like some kind of issue. I guess every developer does that. Maybe content in rF2 is even among those that includes more unique elements per each piece of content ? Making 2D is actually quite underrated art/technical side of modeling, everybody seems to take those for granted, if every track would have all unique textures, then it would definitely add significantly more work.

19. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

So here is my review

Graphically it looks good on some side and bad on other for example
    The GOOD->>
    I haven't touched the weather settings and graphics settings after updating but now i get much more shadows which is plus IMO.
    take a look at this ->>
    20201022225909_1.jpg
    It is THRILLING , i can't see sh*t lol. Maybe shadows are bit to dark but hey previously i had nothing here with same conditions and graphics settings so its a thumbs up from me.

now The BAD ->>

* previous version had much realistic rubber built up on track AND more importantly it was much more visible.
    Now rubber line is present even on straight section (although very dim similar level of visibility like corners part).
    On straights tyres are worked not being worked hard hence IMO rubber built up should be low on straight sections. If possible revert to old rubber built up on saturated preset.

*Some off road kerbs (idk what to call them) looks artificial. like the grass has been trimmed out. If i remember correctly the older version had grass naturally growing on that off road cement kerb.
    here is a screenshot->>(this is just one example there are more like this)
    20201022230226_1.jpg

* the tarmac itself looks bit too bright/more white than previous version. IMO the tarmac from what i see IRL videos looks bit dark. The cement part of carousel itself has too much rubber built up which makes it darker than most IRL videos i have seen.
    Generally in my observation the cement part of carousel remains pretty much "white/grey"

Now some things that are not only graphical BUT these things affect the driving itself. here i noticed some track surface, corner radius, some kerbs changes->>

*The carousel feels less bumpy which idk if this is realistic BUT now when i'm driving on limit the car isn't doing weird 3 wheel drive understeer thingy.
    On pervious version idk why but when i pushed in carousel the car created wheelspin one one rear tyre as if it is lifting it. I think this is because of surface character changes.

*some kerbs are completely removed and/or ran over by grass which i never seen in IRL track. It is especially bad because older version had more them represented more realistically
    couple of examples->> (there are more ! )
    20201022225606_1.jpg
    20201022230112_1.jpg

*also one more place where the kerb like thing has been removed is on exit of galgenkopf before you hit the straight there was a small kerb which i used to ride and is present IRL
    watch at 16:28 on the left side

Did you guys made changes to some corners like the the radius, altitude, bumps etc
    for example take corner galgenkopf->>

*on entry i used to go near the kerb on the right hand side, on previous version i used to get some oversteer probably because in old version the drop near the kerb was slightly deep than new version.

*on exit of the same corner it feels like the drop (elevation change ) is more progressive BUT the corner radius feels tighter(smaller).

ir Sindaco and Remco Majoor like this.
  20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

One guy in RD comments pointed out a tip to clear out cbash and shaders folders..... I did it.... and the track became so much better looking ! I feel like majority of thing that was bit off just simply got solved. The downside is that now my Goodwood mod appears to have shading issues lol

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]