Large Replay won't load, crashes

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Sachmo, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

Hi all,

Yesterday a few mates and I completed the 161 laps of Bathurst alongside the actual race. When I select the relevant replay file and press "Play Replay" the cursor changes to the "zzz" cursor, and then after a minute the game crashes to desktop (it doesn't get to the point where it brings up the Bathurst track splash screen with yellow progress bar while loading track).

When I check the replay folder I can see the replay VCR file is 1.29GB, and a ".tmp" file of 2.306GB is created. If I try on subsequent tries with reduced graphics resolution and detail (and also reduced fidelity in the Replay selection screen) it exhibits exactly the same behaviour, including creation of a 2.306GB tmp file.

Does anyone know how I can get this replay working? I noticed the below thread, and tried changing extension of the VCR to ZIP but neither Windows 10 nor WinZip recognise the ZIP file so I can't extract it. Given the thread below has a different file size to mine (TMP) I am guessing that perhaps the extraction may be happening correctly (ie. not a 2GB limit) but there is still some problem somewhere.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-to-load-large-replay-crashes-the-game.47972/

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Regards,
    Sachmo

PC Specs:
    CPU: AMD AM4 3600
    RAM: 16GB
    HDD: Samsung EVO SSD 1TB (with 50+GB free space)
    GRAPHICS: eVGA GeForce 1070 FTW

2. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

Found a workaround for this! Does appear to be a 2GB thing (size of replay file, after decompression, is over 2GB).

The rF2 Replay Office tool allowed me to split the file in two - I created two separate clips, one covering the first half of the race, and the other covering the second half. This brought the decompressed size of each file under 2GB and rFactor 2 replay works fine on each!

More on the rF2 Replay Office: (which I'll play with a bit more - looks fantastic!)
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/rf2-replay-office-set-of-tools.45062/page-8

Regards,
    Sachmo

3. lagg

lagg Registered

@Sachmo , out of curiosity
    Are you using a Windows of 64 bits?
    Are you using the rF2 of 32 bits?
    Thank you.

4. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

Hi,

I'm using Windows 10 64 bit. And I'm running the game without the "Force 32-bit" checkbox ticked, so I'm assuming its 64-bit (but let me know if there's a more sure way to ensure this).

I did also go to the Bin64 directory and run the rFactor executable directly from there, but it still resulted in the game crashing in the same way.

With rF2 Replay Office, the file size generated during decompression is identical to what the in-game Replay engine creates, so it seems likely that the decompression part of the rFactor Replay engine works, but 'whatever happens next' (loading the track in the context of the replay file?) seems to be where it crashes.

Cheers

5. lagg

lagg Registered

That should be enough. It seems clear that isn't a file size limitation due to 32 bits.
    No more ideas, sorry.