Game won't launch....again, seriously boring now

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Yzangard, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Hello all,

After maybe 2 weeks without launching the game, this morning I tried to connect to test the new ASR 2020...but game won't launch, with new UI or old crap : same result...

But even better, here is what is shown now when starting the game :

upload_2020-10-11_11-8-59.png

How can this seriously even be possible ? I mean after all the problems rFactor 2 had in the past dealing with workshop and stuff, after all the promises of "online content" and other bugs that took forever to be addressed, here is a new frustration, now the purchased content won't upload or update because...we don't know what ?

Seriously S397, there was a HUGE opportunity to make rFactor 2 the leader of racecar simulations with online content and fight with iRacing for the crown but since more than 2 years now you are promising stuff that won't happen I'm affraid, now with ACC and even AMS2, what's the point trying to play rFactor 2 anymore given that when working the game takes FOREVER to load and now it won't even launch ?

I'm really extremely frustrated and disappointed.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Have you Verified your files?
    Right-click Rfactor2 in Steam > Properties -> Local Files Tab -> Click the Verify Integrity... button

3. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Yes, won't change anything. I even reinstalled redist files, same problem.

The game was working perfectly (well, beside the sworkshop content that was causing issues again and again and again and again, seems to not be very important for devs) and took forever to load but at least I was able to start and drive...now, I just can't, sounds like I have to delete everything and reinstall everything, so redo all my personalisation, again...I just won't, I'm fed up doing this twice a year and S397 don't give a f....

PS : forgot to say thank you for your reply, so frustrated I forgot manners, sorry.

4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

What is GTM20200930? It’s probably a skin pack you’ve subscribed to or a league mod, either way unsubscribe/uninstall it and all should be good with the world.

JimmyT likes this.
  5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I understand the frustration but the fact is the game is working for loads of people, as above you've probably subscribed to something that has caused these errors. My next advice would be to go through all 3rd party content that's liveries & cars and uninstall anything that could be a problem.

Or perhaps just do a complete reinstall, wipe out any junk that you may of installed and just have the bare S397 content that you've subscribed too.

JimmyT likes this.
  6. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

7. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

What's wrong with reading ? The game just don't launch, I don't really care there is another problem with workshop as long as I can actually drive, I can't, the game revert to launcher every time.

And to be perfectly clear : this issue with workshop content is NOT normal, the fact there are workarounds doesn't change anything, we still have to do manual stuff to get rFactor 2 working, I have a lot of workshop items and I don't understand the replies explaining I have to unsubscribe then subscribe again. S397 HAVE to fix those issues, the game is dying because of tons of tiny bugs "taht aren't big issues" and no online content (2 races per month for 20 ppl, wonderful !).

1 year ago there were a lot of exciting announcements, since then the only thing we got was new pay content, no new feature and of course, no online races, at all.

No sorry, your reply is out of topic.

8. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

I didn't subscribe to anything new since the last time the game launched. If anything have changed since then, S397 should fix it. It is beyond reason to ask customers to check every content before they play, the game should just discard problematic workshop items, not the player.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well, to state the obvious, something's definitely not right there. It's not the workshop content itself because it's working for others, the text doesn't look likely for a skinpack or similar, so seems like something's gone corrupt.

Can't argue on the ease of use factor, even the skinpack thing is annoying. But short of implementing comprehensive error detection and auto-fixing (which I guess they may slowly creep up on, over time) they can't really do anything right now to fix your install.

So I agree on wishing this and other errors and issues were better addressed by the game itself (this may be something more fundamental than anything related to workshop content, and those errors are just a symptom - but ideally the game would work that out rather than the user having to), but right now your choice seems to be to do some diagnosis or resetting of some sort, or don't play rF2. You're not the first and you won't be the last.

10. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

This is my point actually, right now my choices are :

- Spend a lot of time trying to fix the problem or uninstalling and reinstalling everything (even with my computer which is very powerful and my internet connection that is 10 GB/s with 0 latency it takes forever)
    - Just delete rFactor 2 and don't play it anymore...which is surely what I'll do because those problems aren't the worst, the worst to me are empty promises, all the things S397 announced a year ago that are not here or plain buggy are too much now.

There was a window rFactor 2 could have taken advantage of and become a major racecar simulation, competing with iRacing with its better physics and tire model, now iRacing is WAY better than rFactor 2 without the tiniest issue : you want to play, you just click and it works. rFactor 2 is a joke at this regard. I know many ppl don't like iRacing, sometimes for good reasons (especially in the past, physics and tyres were bad) but it made progress and is right now much more enjoyable.

Too bad, another wasted chance for rFactor 2, it is a fatal mistake imho.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

In the time you weren't using rF2, there was an update to all the gt3 cars. You have installed 3rd party skinpaks and now all of that is out of date. delete the skinpak, or update the skinpak and off you go. The game isn't broken, your installed content is.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Don't shoot me I'm just trying to help you, but it seems your mind is made up. So i shall save my patience for someone else :)

Remco Majoor likes this.
  13. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Pretty sure I didn't get any livery pack but will check. That being said, I don't understand why a livery pack from workshop prevents the game from starting, workshop may have its flaws but this is clearly a rFactor 2 issue.

14. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Lol, funny one. Yep, got VAC banned several years ago because I was using...VMware Workstation (it is just my job, I'm a virtualization expert)...no, nothing to do with this VAC ban.

15. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Yep, my mind is made up, rFactor 2 failed in my mind, it is more a love story that ends badly, S397 had everything to make it great and yet, it is just a failure. I'm sure many won't agree, I won't argue anyway, it is almost a religion point of view.

16. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

I have a similar hate love situation with RF2/Steam, after complete reinstall twice my goto method for mods now is find one I like on Steam, then hit google and find its origin, typically somewhere on ISR or other sources, grab the rfcmp directly in local storage where its in my direct control, I have not had to do a complete wipe/reinstall in ages (touches wood) using this methodology, and that 93 minute wait time while mods update/downdate/reinstall on boot goes away.. "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

Dependencies on steam will also trip you up, the Endurance mods for example, unless you fully read the posts you miss the fact the mod only works if you ALSO buy these 10 cars and download these other ten mod cars, then download these 26 skin packs, then install them in this particular order if you get any of these 15 error messages.. etc etc, 27 hours later, you just say "phuckit" and unsubscribe because its all too hard.

All that said, I enjoy the game still, even with less but more stable content control.

edit: Just as a caveat, very similar isues in any games I own that allow mods, the AC modding system is FAR simpler, just delete the folder etc, but as there is no version control system, 12 different guys all work on seperate versions of the same track and you soon have no idea wtf the are actually playing on, I am also guilty of this on my own track mods, I update some tracks to sattelite terrain for example, then release them on gtp, using the original modders release name and versin, and the poor buggers have no idea which track is which, and my updates completely overwrite their work.. point I am trying to make, is any game that allows modding is at the mercy of the modders... and that is alwasy going to be a dodgy prospect..

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020