Move location of info box in VR

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Oldgamergazza, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

Is it possible to move the info box that informs you of Pit limiter, brake balance changes etc, its presently bottom left in VR, I would like to move it somewhere I can see it more easily?
    Are there custom HUDs availiable?

2. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Hi,

You can find many custom huds. Also some specially made for VR. You can find some in the Steam workshop!

Good luck

3. J0E

J0E Registered

I could be horribly wrong, but I don't believe the custom HUDS move the message box or the MFD. I agree that they could be located better for VR.

4. lagg

lagg Registered

You're right. You're horribly wrong. :p
    GRAB_013.JPG

5. J0E

J0E Registered

Which HUD is that? Where does it put the message screen? Where do they both show up in VR?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The message screen ("center") is shown on that screenshot.

Not sure what you mean by "both".

7. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

Thanks for the replies, how did you get your HUD like this?

8. lagg

lagg Registered

As Bidle said before, you can find some HUD specially made for VR.
    I think that this is the SMG HUD, but take a look to the HUDs of the workshop, there are several options.
    The message screen is at the right side, where is written "Screen saved"

9. J0E

J0E Registered

Reporting back on this VR thing. I tried several of the huds designed for VR. In none of them, VRHUD or any of the incantations in SMG HUD, did the message window or the MFD move from their normal locations. The message window is in the bottom left and the MFD is in the bottom right. They are redesigned and easier to read and follow the pattern (dark, light, etc) of the main hud selected, however. I did not try non-VR huds. Perhaps this is a result of using a mixed reality headset (Lenovo Explorer). There are other games I have (e.g. Eleven Table Tennis) where there are limitations related to WMR. I typically turn off everything except the MFD since I have most of this information already on the in-car dash/instrument panel or use CrewChief4.

10. J0E

J0E Registered

I have a little more info after doing some more research last night. In the Dev mode, there is a HUD editor. I've never used the Dev mode before so I didn't know its capabilities. As it turns out, in the Dev mode you can relocate items in the HUD. I was not able to open any of the hud mods because that crashed the Dev tool, but with the generic hud, I could find out how the coordinate system seems to work. It appears that 0,0 would be in the upper left corner of a 1920x1080 screen. Once you know where you'd like items (like the MFD or message window) relocated, you could write those numbers down. Then go into the Mas editor and open the ini file for the HUD you want and edit it with those numbers. I didn't follow through and test it, but it looks like that could be a possibility to adjust the location of items. I'm sure it's not that easy though. Just another thing I could be horribly wrong about.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@J0E the HUD editor is what people use to create the HUDs on the workshop. I've never used it but I presume loading and saving is possible with the right files.

There really should be HUDs on there set up for VR, but someone using VR will need to confirm a specific one that moves the message center and MFD to the top so you can tell if your setup just doesn't work the same, or you haven't yet found the right HUD.

12. J0E

J0E Registered

This is my final update on this. I will document my steps here for someone who might want to go down this road in the future. Note that there may be a better way to do this, but this is what worked for me.
    1. Using the Mas2 tool, open the mas file for the hud from the /installed/HUD directory.
    2. Extract the .ini file and place it in the /moddev/hud directory.
    3. Place a copy of the hud mas in the /moddev/hud directory.
    4. Quit Mas2 and go into Dev mode.
    5. Go to Options and select the HUD you want to edit (it may be the only one there and it only looks in the /moddev/hud directory).
    6. Click Race and then select the HUD editor option. Make all the changes you want in position.
    7. Save your work after you're done. This will write a new ini file in the /moddev/hud directory.
    8. Quit Dev mode and go into the Mas2 editor again.
    9. Delete/cut the ini file and add to the mas file the ini file you created in /moddev/hud
    10 Save the new mas file
    11. Click the Package button and select Add a Single Component.
    12. Complete all the boxes for the component, click on Package (wait for a positive response) and then Install.
    The only issue I have is that my newly created, newly installed HUD has the same name as the one I copied from when I go into the Options menu to select a HUD. I didn't spend the time to figure out how to fix that yet.

lagg and Kahel like this.