Best wheels for rf2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by lap345, Sep 2, 2020.

1. lap345

lap345 Registered

Just wanting to get some advice regarding sim racing wheels and how well they work with rf2.
    I've been using a g27 for years but am wondering whether a CSL elite would provide a better experience. Reviews for this wheel are generally very positive, and it's in the right price point, but the main thing holding me back is that a quick Google shows that a lot of people have issues with fanatec wheels and rf2. I'd hate to upgrade and then find that I prefer the g27. As good as the wheel may be in other sims, if it doesn't work well in rf2 then it's a deal breaker for me.

Open to other wheel suggestions as well, but would only consider spending more if it really added a big difference to immersion. I don't care about better lap times, just immersion and feedback detail. I've tried a t300 and old fanatec Porsche wheel but was not massively impressed. FFB was stronger but not really any more detail. This is why I've stuck with the trusty old g27 which is running like the day I bought it. It seems to provide reasonable detail and deadzone barely noticeable in rf2. Is the CSL elite going to be much better?

2. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Csl elite is a really nice wheel yes - it's better than any Thrustmaster wheel and second only to the Clubsport v2/2.5. Your G27 will be quickly forgotten, and there is no measure where a g27 would be 'better' than a csl elite. It is a big upgrade from a g27.

I'm a bit surprised by your thoughts on the T300 as that is without doubt a better wheel than a G27. Maybe it wasn't set up properly.

There's no reason you should have an issues with a Fanatec wheel and RF2.

mesfigas likes this.
  3. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

I was in the same position than you a few months ago. I watched a lot of reviews, and if you don´t want to pay for a Direct Drive wheel (it´s a lot of money), you have 3 options to really improve your wheel: CSL Elite, Clubsport Wheel and Thrustmaster TS-PC racer.

The clubsport was a little too many money for me. So CSL Elite or TS-PC racer was the decision, and it,s pretty much the same value.

I decided for TS-PC because thrustmaster rims are less expensive and I didn´t have a good experience with my clubsport pedals. Also, for 200 euros, you can buy the Thrustmaster pedals with load cell. Not as good as Clubsport pedals, but almost half the price.

Very happy with the decision, it´s much better than Logitech G29

4. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

When I was choosing between a CSL Elite or TM TS-XW about a year or so ago I went with the TS-XW. In the UK the price was cheaper from a retailer and no faffing with european returns, was a bit worried about fanatec reliability. Also wanted a quiet wheel and heard the CSL could vibrate hard.

No regrets, great wheel if not wanting to go DD. I’m Sure the CSL is fine also. Dont think you can go wrong with either at that price level.

5. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

I was toying with going from a G29 to a DD, but having some considerations about the price of them.
    Eventually, after much discussion I went for the CSL PS4; I couldn't be happier.

It's a major upgrade to the G29, like going from a toy-wheel to a proper wheel; I've no regrets going for the CSL over a DD.

I've no doubt that at some point I'll buy a DD, but at their current price point and my skill, the CSL is bang on the money.

I agree with Mister Bronze, I think you'll be happy with either as an upgrade if you decide not to go for a DD.

6. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I went from a G29 to a Fanatec CSW 2.5 base and Formula Carbon wheel, I have had them for about a year now and have had no problems with either what so ever. I also have the Fanatec CSL Elete pedals and have had no problems with them either. There is no way I would go back to the G29. If you can stretch to the CSW 2.5 it would be worth it, it's a much better made wheel. A video of each with strip down to show the difference.
    CSW 2.5
    CS Elite
    Hope this may be of help.

7. lap345

lap345 Registered

Thanks everyone for the very useful advice. It's sort of what I wanted to hear, that the upgrade would be worth it and the few negative cases floating around on the web are the unlucky few.
    I'm leaning more towards fanatec than TM mostly because TM is comparatively expensive in Australia for some reason. TS-PC is almost as much as a csw v2.5.

Regarding the T300 experience, it may well have been due to poor setup. Some people don't seem to fiddle much with their setup but I find it's critical and can ruin the advantage of having good gear.

I'm considering the csw v2.5 but the difference would also get me the CSL elite LC pedals. May be worth it in the long term though. I'll check out the videos.

Thanks again everyone!

Bidle likes this.
  8. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

Then CSW 2.5 without a doubt

doddynco likes this.
  9. doddynco

doddynco Registered

TS-PC, TS-XW & TGT are basically the same, and all have a very notchy rotation. The T500 is in my opinion a better wheel overall and is quite cheap if you can find one used.

I would avoid them for that kind of money and go with Fanatec.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have had both the TS-PC and the CSW 2.5. They are not a-lot different. Both are belt drive, and reasonably powerful. Back when I got my TS-PC, it was on sale at Amazon for less than 400 $$. At that price I was quite happy with it. I suffered a house fire and had to replace that wheel this summer. I could not find it in stock at most sales outlets,(just like the Fanatec) but the list price had gone way up. over 700 USA $$(one store was over 1,000 when bundeled with the 3pa pedals) . I have since gotten the CSW2.5 for just about 100 dollars more. At that price, the Fanatec is the clear winner. And matching the Fanatec pedals vs. the Thrustmaster 3pa pedals is no contest.

11. lap345

lap345 Registered

I think I'm sold on an upgrade. The dilemma is now which option (in Aussie $ inc. delivery):
    - CSL Elite + P1 rim: $900
    - CSL Elite + BMW rim: $1100
    - CSL Elite + Porsche rim: $1200
    - CSW v2.5 + P1 rim: $1400
    - CSW v2.5 + BMW rim: $1600
    - CSW v2.5 + Porsche rim: $1700
    - Accuforce Pro v2: $1900

So I could go for a mid tier option or DD but wouldn't go beyond $2000 as I still need to replace my pedals, shifter, aging PC, 27in monitor. (Will get there one day!)

I also need the flexibility of desk mount because I don't have a dedicated rig (but may in the future). This could be a problem for DD but I'm considering mounting to a board/steel mounting plate which then clamps onto the desk.

Is the Accuforce really worth double the CSL Elite option in terms of fidelity and reliability? I'd be prepared to go for it if it means less chance of issues in a few years time.

12. lap345

lap345 Registered

Well I ended up going for a CSW v2.5 with the 918 rim (thanks Highlandwalker for the info). Got it yesterday and it's awesome. Worked straight out of the box with rf2 and no issues like some of the posts I've come across on the web.
    Now the gap between rf2 and other sims is even bigger. I tried AMS2 briefly and ended up back at rf2 for the feel. While the g27 did a good job for some cars, I can now get excellent feedback from every car I tried.

13. Highlandwalker

Bidle likes this.
  14. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

I am in the middle of the same process now. Why did you go with the V2.5 instead of the elite? How did you mount them to your desk and is it good enough (eg no loss of FFB details)? Did you get new pedals as well? Thanks!

15. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Really?! I hear that the T500 is an older model and the newer options such as the pc racer are better.

16. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Hoe are those thrustmaster pedals/wheels? How did you mount them?

17. lap345

lap345 Registered

It's a tough one but I guess it comes down to personal preference. I knew that the CSL elite is probably better value and almost as good ffb but I decided to go for the CSW for build quality and longevity. Something that is optimised for cost is probably not going to be as robust. In a few years time I'm probably not going to worry about whether I paid $500 or $900 might as well enjoy the extra strength/smoothness. The other factor for me was the 918 rim, which I was keen on for similar reasons and it is a fair bit heavier than the P1 rim so the CSW is better suited.
    Regarding mounting, I went diy and have mounted to a timber board which clamps to the desk. It's rock solid! Better than the g27 which used to slip every now and then, so no, there is no ffb loss whatsoever.
    I've stuck with my g27 pedals and shifter for now until my credit card recovers. I have the gteye mod and also a diy foam insert and it feels quite convincing but I'll probably upgrade at some point. I'll probably go for bigger screen or vr first though.

GertjanD likes this.
  18. lap345

lap345 Registered

I really recommend the 918 rim. Such a quality feel to it and it looks great too. I really wanted a leather wrap rather than alcantera for the $$$.
    Really interesting to read your comments on driver updates and change of ffb feel. I think I'll stick to the official driver for now until I get more familiar with the feel and what works for me.
    I'm guessing fanalab is only going to get better and have more features with time so I'm sure I'll delve into that in the not too distant future.

Bidle likes this.
  19. Highlandwalker

If you don't want to install the drivers or Fanalab just have a go at using the settings for the wheel they work well the with official 328 driver as well. I have been using the wheel with SPR (spring) switched OFF recently and it seems to give a bit more detail. Happy racing.

20. lap345

lap345 Registered

I don't notice any difference with the SPR setting and have read elsewhere that it doesn't affect rf2. When I saw your settings I figured it was something to do with the new driver. Is that your understanding?
    On another point, I have never seen the side fan go on yet apart from very briefly during startup. Am I just not pushing it hard enough yet?