Share your GTX 3080 and 3090 comparisons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emery, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

I'm planning on a 3090 (and new system) and am looking to hear what fps at what resolution you're getting. Yes, these cards are probably overkill for single screens, but the VR & triple screen users are looking forward to them!

Adrianstealth likes this.
  2. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

That would mean someone needs that card in their possession first, which was only possible to do in a fair way in America at a micro centre. The rest was snatched by bots

Adrianstealth likes this.
  3. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

People who buy these cards at ridiculous inflated prices from the bots are TOTAL IDIOTS and just encourage the bots. The market would not exist if the STUPID IDIOTS didn't buy them.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Agreed , just await normal stock
    everything will settle in time for winter

looking forward to VR performance reviews especially in rfactor2

Emery likes this.
  5. Emery

Emery Registered

While not rF2, we do have this comparison for 3x1440p in ACC from https://twitter.com/DanSuzukiTV

[​IMG]

Quick math says GTX 3080 improves over 2080ti:
    Avg = +35.9%
    Min = +40.0%
    Max = +37.2%

6. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Here's an in depth review of the RTX-3080, it's bit long but worth the watch and very informative.

7. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I was going to go for an RTX-3080 at launch but, of course that turned out to be a complete fantasy. I'll wait and see how things shake out with the RTX-3070 availability in the spring but, I think the extra FPS could be very useful in VR either way.

As usual these days, the hype wins out in the short term and results in disappointment one way or another. With some teething problems being exposed now, better to wait for improved hardware / drivers anyway. Still, these cards represent one of the more exciting developments in PC tech in quite a while.

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

To my knowledge, it always was the same when a new generation Nvidia GPU was to be released. A lot of very promising presentations from Nvidia, telling a way to high speed up compared to before generation. So I for sure would wait for real independent reviews. Maybe these are already available, I didn't follow. Then next interesting thing is, what speed up you get in rF2.

EDIT: maybe lets say Nvidia presentations tell you 30% speedup, independent reviews for optimized AAA titles tell you 20%, finally you get 10% speedup in rF2.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  9. Emery

Emery Registered

Indeed, there are reviews available, but nothing for rF2 (1 for ACC -see above- and 1 for iRacing with VR). I've collated the 4k resolution reviews from Techpowerup into a table and added relative performance to the 2080Ti and 2070. Sadly they are not for rF2, but it should help everyone with decisions.

If you're using VR, since it's CPU intensive, you probably should look at only the Project CARS 3 table as that's known to be CPU instensive.

upload_2020-9-28_11-36-57.png

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Speaking of Dan Suzuki, he's posted more results, this time for iRacing, with an interesting conclusion that the CPU matters a whole bunch (15%):

upload_2020-9-28_11-42-44.png
    https://twitter.com/DanSuzukiTV