Racing against people with different DLCs (suggestion)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kidsu47, Sep 21, 2020.

1. kidsu47

kidsu47 Registered

Hi guys!

It is possible to bring in some next update a way to race against others having different DLCs? For example, if I have the Endurance Pack but not the Aston Martin or the Ferrari gte it would be nice to race against someone who have those cars.

I think having that chance since we have a lot of 1 or 2 cars only DLCs, it going to make it more enjoyable and for sure there will be more people giving the chance to this great sim all the awesome DLC you guys made so far.

Thank you by keeping the hard work!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think this is ultimately what needs to be possible, but the packaging system (and the way files are packaged together) was established by ISI before steam and before DLC was a thing.

It would need to be carefully planned on how it would actually work, and then everything overhauled - once - to make it possible. This certainly won't be a "next update" thing.

Spyro and Remco Majoor like this.
  3. Comante

Comante Registered

It would be great , but it will require to download packages we don't own or extra packages made only for this purpose (that would be downloaded only when necessary) . I can already hear the complaints for the extra disk space. then come skins ( but those are optiona)ls

Remco Majoor likes this.
  4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Honestly I dont buy the package system excuse. But to each his own.
    This would be nice for sure, more people would join leagues with paid content that way. But S397 has their reasons to go with this business model (which is not the package system, sorry but that smells like bs)

Carlos Eduardo Araujo and Toro like this.
  5. Emery

Emery Registered

I can already hear those complaints, too, LOL!

Ironically, the sims that already implement a "race against cars you didn't buy", Raceroom and AMS1, you do not hear complaints about extra disk space.

6. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

If you ever ran a server even, you'd know it's the package system. It's definitely one thing that could be improved upon, but considering the cost of the DLC (which is not much) I don't see why it must be a priority at this moment.

GeraArg likes this.
  7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I did, still not convinced.

8. Carlos Eduardo Araujo

Carlos Eduardo Araujo Registered

Incredibly on September 14th I opened a very similar topic, but I received a very bad treatment from those who responded. This time, it seems that people understood the purpose of the topic.

The more people who can enter the servers the better. Because the business model allows me to buy individual cars, but where to race? With whom? It would be very interesting if I enter the MP races with any car, that I have purchased, of the class that is running.

I have a few friends who bought a GT3 package, but cannot join multiple servers ... as they require ALL GT3 cars. These friends were very disappointed with this business model, they would hardly buy game content again. Can you understand that?

When I create a package for the server, I choose the cars (GT3) and at the beginning it has a GT3 tag, this means that the system already knows which GT3 cars are. Then it would be up to me to select which cars will be able to race, having ONE of them anyone could enter.

Often listening to the community, hearing who really tests the game every day is very interesting.

There are many people wanting to play the game, but the business model is driving some away.

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Raceroom was designed with this feature in mind, rFactor 2 wasn't.

To support it I would imagine there would need to be a major restructuring how mods are produced and distributed. Not just a case of copy and pasting a simple bit of code, game development just doesn't work like that. There is also concerns about piracy.

I would doubt there any many games that allow you to play with others that own DLC that you do not.... please give examples?

It's a valid suggestion.... whether it is possible with this software iteration... only those with the access to the code truly know.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  10. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

That's your problem then :p

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Like I said: to each his own.
    Deal with it.

12. Matias Rodriguez

Matias Rodriguez Registered

For me is very expensive to buy a lot of dlc to race, i would really prefer to have this system, more people on races with different cars mean better races, i know this is a difficult feature to implement, but can be a really game changer for the multiplayer!
    Thanks in advance and keep the hard work

Carlos Eduardo Araujo likes this.
  13. Comante

Comante Registered

Fact is that the problem of multi class racing is limited to a very specific type of racing. I think they will get out with a specific solution for it.

14. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Simple enough, surely? You only need the 3D model to race against so release a free version of the car with buggered physics. It is undrivable and you can't use it as AI but it will work fine when racing online where AFAIK the physics don't come into it, it's entirely the telemetry from the other player(s) who do own the car.

Carlos Eduardo Araujo likes this.
  15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Simple huh? If it was do you think it would have been done by now? :D

This also may be a licencing thing but I don't know for sure until possibly @Christopher Elliott or @Jimmi Allison can confirm.

16. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

iRacing

Woodee likes this.
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Honestly when I've thought about this I'd even consider a standard set of models representing different car types and a medium resolution skin that can be downloaded for each non-owned car. (You only see those cars from outside) Sound might be another "pick from our standard set" with perhaps some parameters/options for this use case.

Physics data is very small and is actually needed to some extent (remote prediction code relies on AI and that uses a fair portion of the physics data) and the server could be made to send only what's necessary (no .tgm for example).

Without some sort of clear system you need to download a whole heap of data when joining, or download some representation of all the stuff you don't own, which will be messy.

Let's also not forget there is all manner of third party content available, so ideally it would work the same way - would be silly to implement a system and some embedded but locked data for DLC you might not own, then someone runs a server with a couple of free mods and you have to revert to finding and downloading them (or downloading their full size when joining) just to race.

Ernie likes this.
  18. vittorio

vittorio Registered

How much do you pay for a car in iRacing? (not even mention monthly subscription).
    How much do you pay for a car in rF2? How much when bought it in a package of five?

I too would prefer a system as asked by the OP (own one car, drive with many in multiplayer). But I too think it is technically difficult to implement (with current code to update from, much easier when developed for a new system, maybe a thing for rF3? but then be prepared to buy a new rF3 license and all content again). And if changed to that system I expect car prices to go up (in the range of iRacing car prices).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    juanchioooo likes this.
  19. kidsu47

kidsu47 Registered

I'm glad all of you take a little time to read and comment on this thread.

I'm from South America (Argentina) and sadly the prices of DLCs are expensive because our economy, so it's hard to admin a championship with official content and the most of mods are not that good.

A system of coexistence between different DLCs at the same time would be a really good improvement, maybe even like iRacing where having just one car of all those enabled to choose is enough to let you race.

I hope Studio397 can give us an answer (at least) for yes or no about if is 'possible' to think on a change of DLCs system on multiplayer racing.

Carlos Eduardo Araujo and Ernie like this.
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@vittorio I don't get the comparisons to iracing (yours, and the earlier ones). In a game that offers a lot of varied content, different DLC packs with cars that do race together, I think it's a good wish because it would be beneficial all round. (easier and increased online activity, no more "forced buying" complaints, a more seamless experience overall)

What flavour such a solution would take (I can think of 4 immediately, including "none") and how it would work is a whole different conversation.

One thing I think overlooked in the previous thread on this is that car packs don't represent an entire real life mixed class race, nor do they remain a pack once installed. For me this demands a much more general approach because the game can't just group GT3 cars together (for example) and make them work, plus many people would like to include other classes anyway.

S397 has shifted the focus to endurance racing to some degree, and I think in that context this becomes more important.

But what iracing or other games do, and then arguing about their cost vs rF2 - I don't care.

Carlos Eduardo Araujo and Ernie like this.