Targa Florio WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by 6e66o, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@svictor strongly recommend you start a new thread with a link to this one and current download link(s) updated in the first post. The current setup will cause confusion and outdated bug reports.

Mauro likes this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Did you get them this way when lighting switches to twilight mode ? I just drove by the long straight, when twilight came down, and background hills turned white. By the way, something is weird about rF2 twilight since last build, when twilight comes sky brightens up rather much at that moment, I don't know if it could be related to hills going white or not. I also use 5x time acceleration, IDK if that makes difference.

3. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi.
    Any chance of this going on steam?
    I used to enjoy perusing 5 different forums to try and keep content up to date, but rF2 with steam workshop has spoiled me :)

Emery likes this.
  4. svictor

svictor Registered

If you mean white horizon (skybox type of thing), this is due to RF2's new Haze system (replaced old fog setting), which unfortunately, requires manually removal of some old WET files, otherwise player old setting has higher priority than default track setting, which is causing white horizon(mountain, hill, land, sea, etc).

To fix white mountain/horizon:
    Make sure you remove old TARGA_FLORIOs.wet from "UserData\player\Settings\Targa_Florio" folder. Then after deletion, make sure to select default weather and loading it at least once (this is very important, do not select "Scripted" weather until you have loaded default once).
    To server host, please also remove old TARGA_FLORIOs.wet and load track once in default setting, or copy a correct wet file to server.

------------------------------------
    Thanks for suggestions. I feel my current update is not enough for a new thread, and due to another conversion I have been working on, probably I won't have a lot time for major Targa update atm. I'm writing detailed changelog in update post #422 so people can track how things have changed overtime. (Maybe someone is interested in updating Targa to PBR standard later)

Thanks. However, workshop is a bit more complicated. Workshop mod is limited to one modder to keep things updated, and if this modder doesn't have time or disappear, this workshop item will probably stuck there. And I still hope more modders can join and help improve this wonder track in future, imo.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Foxtrot, Mauro and maximus1971 like this.
  5. svictor

svictor Registered

This is caused by haze value in TARGA_FLORIOs.wet.

In version 0.25, I have already reduce all haze as following (default value is 1.0, which causes white hill and horizon.):
    HazeBaseScale=(0.001)
    HazeCloudyScale=(0.500)
    HazeStormScale=(0.500)
    HazeDawnScale=(0.500) // this is affecting dawn and sunset

However since player's setting has higher priority, it will override mod's setting unless you remove old TARGA_FLORIOs.wet from "UserData\player\Settings\Targa_Florio" folder. After deletion, make sure you select default weather and loading it once (this will generate correct wet file from mod). Alternatively you can edit haze value in TARGA_FLORIOs.wet by hand.

And this haze is causing the whole scene to brighten up. When last week I was tweaking Willow spring, I noticed that the higher haze value, the brighter whole scene looks like.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Mauro and maximus1971 like this.
  6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

They were white most of the time for me.... can't remember what weather I had as it was realtime controlled. It did get dark just before evening then brightened briefly before going very dark for night time.

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Because this is such a large track, is there any reason why the puddle map needs to be of the whole track and not just sections at a time?

I'm considering on investing in 3dsmax 2021 and texturing software in coming months so I may be able to tweak a few things. Especially the town sections, i'd love to get those looking up to date.

svictor, Gasper Zupan, Mauro and 3 others like this.
  8. maximus1971

maximus1971 Registered

@Woodee cool ! we can only encourage you in this investment ;)

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Spectator safety....what's that?

10. svictor

svictor Registered

Puddle map won't work well either due to the very simple road mesh. Pic below shows many mid-long road pieces, which are very simple 2 triangulated mesh (same with corners). Without subdividing whole surface, there is no way wet surface will look correct.
    roadmesh.jpg

Proper subdivision is a must for wet as well as real road. This is not an easy and quick task (probably take a few weeks).

Emery, Corti and maximus1971 like this.
  11. maximus1971

maximus1971 Registered

To celebrate the return of his driver to the Italian island, Red Bull found him the Alfa Romeo 33TT3 that Dr Helmut Markko had driven in the Targa Florio 1972. A few months after breaking the distance record for the 24 Hours of Le Mans in a Porsche 917K (a record that will last 39 years!), The Red Bull advisor set the fastest lap of the Sicilian circuit of 72 kilometers in 33'41 ”.

http://www.autocult.fr/2015/une-alfa-romeo-33tt3-daniel-ricciardo-et-la-targa-florio/

I am very far !! especially with a big fault but I know that I can be at the level of the AI, my level is very average, but it was a treat!

ALPHA TARGA.PNG

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I guess minute of laptime could be in some saturation of real road. Subdivision of road might result in bits of grip more too, it could mean that tires would be on the road more, although if some smaller bumps would be added, it would ballance it out.

Thanks for showing view of the mesh, svictor. It is indeed very low res. And even worse - triangulated.

Speaking of puddle maps, that's a bit crazy. Unfortunately those puddles are only visual. I also can't imagine a lot of simracers doing a full lap for once, let alone in rain. Meanwhile I did 38minutes with "not chaparral 2f". I am just starting to know the track.

davehenrie, Bidle, svictor and 2 others like this.
  13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Some of us are gluttons for punishment don't ya know ;)

14. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Please,... no additional bumps. Currently drive pretty steady 32min with the Porsche RS mod. Only it is definitely damaging my teeth. ;)

ps. I really like this track, longest was a 4 lap race. Probably did around ~20 laps in total. It took me around 5-7 laps to really know it; meaning making no mistakes and able to drive fluently fast.

15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Real bumps and not low mesh bumps ;)

Bidle, Emery and Mauro like this.
  16. maximus1971

maximus1971 Registered

17. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Thanks for sharing,... I mainly know the track because of the last winner. They made a documentary about him (Gijs van Lennep two time winner of 24LM) and the car and went back to Sicilia to record it.

Only,.... it is in Dutch; sorry. Still some nice footage.

Also amazing story about this car, that was lost. Ended up in a garage in Mexico covered with boxes etc. Finally discovered and brought to England and restored to its current condition.

mantasisg, Corti and maximus1971 like this.
  18. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Top work could be smooth rf1 low mesh road then add real bumps
    But i think it's an insane work

Bidle likes this.
  19. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I did a lap in the Porsche RS too. Green track. It's amazing to drive here, and as you might see, It's literally my first lap, so didn't know where the track was going.

Bidle, GeraArg and maximus1971 like this.
  20. Bidle

Bidle Registered

The Porsche is great on this track especially to have some fun with it. Most of the time I drive with a bunch of slower cars and slide/drift through the corners. The RS is great for it. :)