RF2 and H-shifter support ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jual, Feb 4, 2020.

1. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Obviously, the gearbox / clutch / manual / sequential / electronic-aids, etc., is already very complex to model in order to cover the various systems across all content, not to mention future stuff. If we consider what iRacing and RaceRoom have done with their drivetrain models, it's proven very effective in providing more realism / immersion through both some subtle and not so subtle ways.
    We should also keep in mind though, much of the drive-train physics modeling has to include audio-system integration, another tricky aspect in itself all the while, considering additional effects such as drive-train oscillation, environmental effects, and much more.

Obviously, this is no small task to be done but, it is an essential one in any serious racing-simulation imo. I hope it remains a subject of discussion and consideration by the dev's, and not just S397. I'm surprised Kunos hasn't developed their drive-train physics system further but, perhaps they too, have long term plans that include such things.

2. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Non synchro boxes with triple dogs will typically outlast full 3-5 seasons of racing, even than still work just tend to miss a shift a little more often, like 1 in 50.

I've got well over 20 years of driving and changing gearsets with Hewland and Webster boxes among others.

Rev-it-and-stuff-it techniques are indeed destructive on a synchro box as the high number of dogs allow little to no deviation in "matching speeds" and further, the sharp leading edges of the triangular axial dogs quickly become broken impeding the selector collar from sliding into engagement.

RaceNut and Emery like this.
  3. UGM 133A

UGM 133A Registered

If you're talking about the Pro-Sim H-shifter, then I'd like to mention that they're actually in the development of an attachment that will work through their own software to make what you're saying a reality. Apparently it won't require anything from the sim/game software since it'll be controlled through their own software. It'll also work with any set of pedals that has a clutch. I have their h-shifter and plan on buying the attachment as soon as it's released.

Here's a short video from their instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4AjYqJB4Fe

Emery likes this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I would be perfectly happy with good transmission simulation by using my TH8A and T3PA, I don't care for hardware that much, perhaps thats just subconscious because I have no money, I don't know lol Software comes first and is so much more important to me.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

[​IMG]

Manual gear shifting stuff confirmed :D

6. amishracing

amishracing Registered

This is a good point but you don't necessarily have to have the H-shifter kicking back into neutral, you could just have it be kicked into neutral in the game until the physical H-shifter is engaged once more put into neutral, then back to the proper gear.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Realistic gearshift already does this. While it would be good for the game to do this itself (and implement extra features having access to the car physics [including new parameters for the driveline] would allow) Emery is talking about a setup that would feel realistic. We can fake it ok, but you really want it to fail to engage rather than have to pull it back out and try again. Not just about feeling correct, but being better feedback (no pun intended) to learn from for future shifts.

Emery likes this.
  8. amishracing

amishracing Registered

I think we can agree that everyone would prefer the most realistic clutch experience their sim gear offers which includes gear without the latest technical features, and an extraneous "realistic gearshift" plugin is generally not optimal, but if its features were natively implemented into the game and improved upon that would be a huge advancement for rf2.

As far as a setup that would feel realistic, acknowledging hardware limitations I would strongly agree that more realistic consequences from improper rev matching, shift protections, etc and damage from like factors are sorely in order as well along with basic h-shifter functionality

UPDATE:
    I've compiled a list of some of the most asked for fundamental improvements people want to see in rf2 in an attempt to draw attention to the current state of rf2 game features and how they can be improved and added upon in a comprehensive manner available to the community.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/compendium-of-needed-improvements.67381/

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020