Hardware Suggestions - What are you running

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris Lesperance, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

So I'm hoping to build a new PC in the near future. My Current config is an Intel i7-3770K, Asus Z77 Sabertooth MB, with 32 gb of memory (acquired over the years), and a Nvidia 1070ti.

While I think the graphics card is ok, I feel i need improvements on the processor side. From launching rF2 to being on track, that takes roughly 15 minutes. I keep touching the rF2 max processor limit, depending on cars and track.

I'm just wondering what would be a good replacement. What are your config and load times?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's a long loading time. Have you checked for old files that might be slowing it down? You might try moving all the smaller folders out completely (leave the Installed folder, at least), verifying files through steam, and seeing how it goes. Then you can copy your config files back in as needed if it's helped.

rF2 loading time may also depend on the amount of subscribed content, while track loading time will depend on the track and type and number of cars.

You might want to be more specific (and probably separate game loading from track loading) to get useful comparisons.

Bit worried about your accumulated ram - mixing and matching different sticks can hamper performance.

3. glyn jones

glyn jones Registered

Six to ten seconds to the launcher then 24 seconds to main screen, tracks vary, worst cases Le mans and Nords.
    Just timed Le mans 2020 and it took 46 seconds with only the one car (Aston GTE) a full field would be longer.

Ryzen 2700X , MSI B450 Tomahawk MB , Vega 56 graphics 16GB ram , Rfactor2 is running off an M2 drive mounted on the motherboard

4. yashiman

yashiman Registered

rcds.jpg
    rF2 loading
    If you played before on multi, should delete unnecessary rcd files.
    I have seen to maked thousands rcd for failure liverie in my car folders.
    Probably, rF2 check car liveries on start up, so maybe become slow.
    Now, I deleted unnecessary files, so started up faster.
    try it.

Lazza and Emery like this.
  5. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

My ram is all the same. Bought 16gb when I originally bought the PC parts, then got a second 16gb when it was on sale a few years later.

It has been a while since I've done a Steam reverify, but I'm pretty sure the last time I did it, it didn't make a difference.

To your other point, I do have a lot of subscribed content. I know that is probably the biggest contributor, with the way that rF2 code is loaded. It makes me really miss the rF1 days of having separate installs for certain mods, or a mod selector, where it didn't load ALL the cars. Loading a Mod Dev session that doesn't have a lot of content in it, loads a lot faster.

So just doing a test. I'm still on the Old UI with the launcher, as the new UI doesn't have mod dev. Opening up the launcher takes time as it has the steam workshop updates. After that loaded here are my times.

Launcher to Main Screen - 4 minutes 27 seconds
    Main screen to track - Aston Martin to LeMans 2020 - 3 minutes 53 seconds

The one other contributor is that I do not have my rF2 install on an SSD. I just don't have a 500gb SSD for my current install.

6. glyn jones

glyn jones Registered

If you are running from a mechanical drive that is probably what is slowing your loading time down,
    SSD's are really cheap now and that will help you a lot, M2 is really the way to go now though, very fast indeed.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

M2 is great if you are getting a new motherboard, but if not, then an old school ssd may be the way to go. Your MB has to have the M2 slot and many older boards do not.

8. glyn jones

glyn jones Registered

MVME adapter cards are cheap if you have a spare PCIe slot on your MB, around £13 on Amazon.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

Cleaning up and perhaps fresh installing rF2 is probably the best way to go at first. Most rF2 loading is single thread bound, so switching the CPU will only result in single_thread_performance(i5-10600K)/single_thread_performance(i7-3770K) times quicker loading at best. Modern CPU's like the i5-10600K have about 30-40% higher single core performance than your i7-3770K and most of that comes from the higher clock speed actually, so you need to find another way to improve loading times, with just CPU change you'd still be waiting 10 minutes for track to load. SSDs are not doing much for track loading times in rF2 either, the only cycle I had shortened was the syncing with workshop phase at initial startup.

Emery likes this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It doesn't make a huge difference to track loading times. It has to pull the data out of compressed and often encrypted files and that limits the rates.

@Chris Lesperance the rcd files yashiman mentioned were the ones I was thinking of but couldn't remember. Though to be honest your startup time isn't bad enough to suggest they're definitely at fault - your sheer volume of content might be doing that.

11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@Chris Lesperance

I think this is the best approach.

If you are in fiber optic, you have a certain amount of worshop content to reinstall (automatic) and you are used to setting up rF2, with an HDD the total reinstallation should not exceed 2 hours : it is worth it.

In addition, switching to an SSD, even for Windows, seems to me essential in general, including for rFactor 2.

An SSD among the first prices, Sandisk or Samsung would do the trick.

Before the installation, unsubscribe from the workshop for anything that is not necessary.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020