The Unrealistically Difficult Real Cars Handling Thread... or just incorrect real life physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mantasisg, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

Comments on Steam are good examples....
    upload_2020-8-17_10-15-16.png

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

You know cars and racing isn't so popular when you google F2000 and you only see guns lol

I suppose it must be reffering to USF2000. If so I can't possibly agree with that comment. I have had several online races with USF2000, and I was rather successful in those, few JustRace.Net races and few S397 community server races. I found the car to be VERY compliant for powersliding. I could literally abuse the car quite a lot over the limit, and it was quick way to go with it and I felt comfortable and consistent. This one person who claims to be racing it IRL must have something terribly wrongly setup about his gear or/and software to be having troubles at 40kph and 20% of throttle... I found the car to be the opposite possibly too compliant for sliding, sliding too much, too early, too progressively and not sharp enough, it is really on the easy side to do mad stuff with it. I am surprised to hear an opinion which is that much opposite from someone who says to be racing it IRL. I believe the car should have less sliding, but later and less progressive, pace was realistic, but it was sliding a lot. Perhaps this guy who made the comment just doesn't have any skills to manage slides, and as the car probably shouldn't slide as early on, he might have been cought up on that, it really is easy to manage slides with that car in rF2.

TJones and Dave^ like this.
  3. Filip

Filip Registered

Another guy who races USF2000 in real life also wasn't pleased with handling.
    He commented in original cars thread from this forum.

4. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Actually this is what i do as well but i couldn't put it better.
    You are right,sometimes inexperienced drivers shows some glimpses of real physics and over the limit behaviour.

5. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

The tyre behaviour in RF2 is quite strange really. They really need to add proper tyre pressure physics.
    The tyre pressure is a must to simulate proper tyre behaviour.
    One flaw is definitely there is how tyre behave on standstill acceleration in straight line.

Take RSR and try to do this(look at 0:33)->>

And strangely on high speed stuff i have to feed the power like i'm driving in rain.
    I'm not saying a gt race car can't have power oversteer at high speed but on RF2 it is on completely different level.

6. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Perel unrealistically spinning on colds.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  7. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

[​IMG]

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@boblevieux Wow those physics are broken, absolute iceRacing, I can see that FFB is not helping either and there is no grip at all, drift physics are very bad in that one.

There are something like 50 different variables in tires making significant impact for how car drives, pressures are important but it is not everything. And I think rF2 does ok with pressures, till they go too low all the way to the zero, there doesn't seem to be much loss of of tire stability, maybe there isn't much of impact for rolling resistance, not sure, IDK rF2 tires are great, but mods has to put cap for possible lowest pressures and then its ok, kind of.

The example you show could be traced to tire driving force slip curve, sliding friction, heat effects.

I also have very similar one, this one shows how wrong the reality is too, it is just way too twitchy, and way too brutal for the reality that should be much more sensible... IDK who made those tires and car, they really should tweak some values in notepad text files and give it some more stability lol

And this at 1:08 and 2:30... I mean thats terrible, didn't they have knowledge how to make it less twitchy then ? Just open up tire files - increase sliding friction, decrease static friction to keep it at correct pace, expand slip angles, make aero more stable with yaw angles, less punishing tire heat and enjoy much smoother much more drivable, although quite a bit more drifting ( but controlably, fun fun) handling. Real life is soooo irrational...

P.S. I would like to point out that in this thread there is no aim to criticise or support anything in particular in simracing, any particular sim, or any particular mod. It is meant to criticise real life being not good enough, this makes it fun.

Nieubermesch and atomed like this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't have a video, but a few times watching real life racing I've seen "lame" spins that immediately brought to mind some physics complaints by sim racers. And I don't even mean high speed aero stalls and kerb strikes, but plain slow corner exit spins in a 500hp tintop.

Sim racers tend to blame physics or start fiddling with setup, despite the fact a semi-pro (at least) driver with real physics and the best feedback in the world (ie real life) couldn't catch a simple spin at 80kph.

@bobbie424242 yep, missed the point entirely.

mantasisg likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

1:20 an unrealistic spin, physics makes no sense, it spun out from nowhere

3:05 totally broken drift physics, car barely slipped and it lost control, real does not mean difficult... c'mon

Same stuff again ! Real does not mean difficult... Look at the FFB car was oversteering for quite a while when driver finally steered into a slide, and then over corrected into tank slapper. With proper FFB simulation it would have never had happened. FFB should be more comunicative than this... and also tires and aero... completely broken, car should not spin out like that... its just wrong physics.

atomed likes this.
  12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

nonsense of real life..... thankfully there are simulators to fix the reality

Mitch9 likes this.
  13. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

Speaking of pikes peak, here´s some driver making excuses for not using a laser scan version of the track (at 6:29):

Also, it´s hard to remember the point of this topic, but anyways this made me laugh:

mantasisg likes this.
  14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Track modder set way too low friction for wet kerbs, additionally tires has very poor drifting physics. Broken reality.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

First 5 seconds of that video.

"That's not realistic. Those real cars are on rails! There's no way they'd slide off like that!"

16. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

This is why i don't do racing in real life. Racing sims has surpassed real life in physics realism a long time ago.

mantasisg and TJones like this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Setting brake pads before each braking zone - reality is too difficult.

LOST the brakes, broken reality...

18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Dead FFB IRL, thankfully not driver

19. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Registered

hi, which are those 4 cars? never heard of Slowmotion mods. thanks a lot

20. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

GP3, F3 (F3 is the last SlowMotion mod)
    Palatov D4
    Metalmoro MR1