[REL] Willow Springs v0.97

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Corti, Aug 24, 2020.

1. svictor

svictor Registered

Thanks for the hard work! It's time for balloons~

2. dazzer

dazzer Registered

3. tchachalowski

tchachalowski Registered

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Awesome, it is important and great track to have, thank you !

Some of positives:
    - Nicely and cleanly done.
    - Good performance at all times.
    - Fast loading and compact size.
    - Very exciting track layout, extremely fun !
    - Rich history.
    - Nice replay cams.
    - Balloons ! But no baloons too for baloons haters :D.
    - Track feels accurate in general.

Negatives:
    - The sand is probably more slippery than wet grass, driving this track is pretty much playing sand = lava. THIS ONE IS CRITICAL
    - Subtle features of track doesn't quite feel in, but that could be understood because not being laserscanned. Track seems too smooth, few undalations seems to be missing, and it seems like road camber is bit lacking at few places maybe.
    - Kerbs seems to be wrong shape.
    - Road verges seems to be lacking transitions.

Overall its just simply awesome, highly recommend, assuming sand physical properties are going to be sorted out. Well done, thanks to Tyrone and Corti and S.Victor.

memoNo1, Corti and svictor like this.
  5. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

Excellent! Love it!

6. Mauro

Mauro Registered

just had some fun with march 761, great work guys!
    it remember me GPL times :)

P.S. on my system international raceway is quite heavy, race day layout works very well.
    what are the difference?

svictor likes this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

99 luft balloons?

svictor, Gasper Zupan and Corti like this.
  8. Corti

Corti Registered

:rolleyes: ... yes. :D

Bidle likes this.
  9. svictor

svictor Registered

Thanks for feedback, indeed, only difference is balloons. Also the massive amount new grass+rocks do consume quite lot extra resource (about 70mb extra model size) and heavier than balloons (6.7mb), you can try lower Circuit Detail to Medium, which should hide those extra rocks and grass for better performance while still have balloons.

Mauro and Corti like this.
  10. dazzer

dazzer Registered

The truth is that for my part I do not consider it a demanding track, it is more I would add even more grass.
    Also if possible I would use some bigger textures along with re-mapping the box area :)

svictor likes this.
  11. atomed

atomed Member

Absolutely stunning, thanks a lot for this one.

12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thats what I mean by gravel oftrack being like wet grass

Here are few moments of RL off track expeditions:
    possibly worst driving I have ever seen, arguably it looks slippery with car this heavy, but not so much

in game this would have been 99% a violent spin out

stopping rather quickly

supper late reaction to oversteer, still gravel had enough friction and damping to stabilise the car

arguably there was bit of banking, still it shows how much bite there was to cause a car to roll so hard
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7gQaxCmmiM

memoNo1, atomed, Corti and 1 other person like this.
  13. atomed

atomed Member

Maybe real life gravel grip settings are too high, you know what I mean... :rolleyes:

Seven Smiles likes this.
  14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes... :D Definitely

Speaking of grip again.. I wonder if tarmac grip isn't lowish as well. I'd suppose it feels green and sandy. Very similar to the grip feel of Riverside mod at places, actually Riverside mod has hell of a fragmentation of road surfaces with rather different friction levels, and it gets even more complex when tarmac gets saturated and off line gets marbles. Not saying that there is too little grip on tarmac in this mod, but I think it would be great to get some laptimes referencing and tie with laptimes of some other tracks. I am just struggling to find the laptimes I need, if anyone knows laptimes of GT40MK1 at willow springs, it would be awesome. The GT40MK1 I have was very close to real laptimes at: old spa, oulton, castle combe, and I would suppose goodwood assuming that late sixties race cars has similar pace like in period (older historic cars today are usually significantly faster).

Anyway, I might try to boost up real road build up rate, I might not have experienced it properly.

memoNo1, svictor and Corti like this.
  15. Corti

Corti Registered

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    svictor, jimagn, Bidle and 3 others like this.
  16. svictor

svictor Registered

In early test I have built up rubber to very high (using AI, which is not beautiful looking so I deleted), and with R15 I could do 0:58.6, then I tested later again with light_rubber preset and only 1:00.xx, so the grip difference is definitely quite a lot with rubber.

Thanks for the hard work!

Corti likes this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

To me it seems like sand/gravel grip has barely improved. Anyone else feels this way ? It is still very much like wet grass or compacted snow/ice. There seems to be very little damping due to sinking into soft surface, and the friction itself is very low.

Other than that everything is awesome, but I feel like I couldn't enjoy it if using some non downforce car, because it is very easy to clip gravel this way, and I can not last more than two three laps without a lightest touch of off track by the outside (loaded) wheels, then it is just over. And trying to come back to the track is super slow because of low low low friction. And T4 aka Budweiser balcony seems to be super punishing to go wide, IDK why it is so.

edit: p.s. I drove 0.95 version which changelog is posted bellow, didn't find an improvement for the gravel or "rough grass", but balloons moving surely was lovely

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  18. Corti

Corti Registered

New update available
    v0.95:
    - new tdf
    - ballons move now!
    - new AIW for Trackday (thx to Manfredk2)
    - new background texture
    thx & regards, Corti. ;)

pascom, dazzer, jimagn and 6 others like this.
  19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I'd say it is getting much less of a trouble having super low friction off track, as withing more laptimes at racing pace, I am starting to go off much less. But I am super careful at turn 9 entry and exit too, I'd be faster there otherwise, anyway I am still a lot faster than AI there. Haven't learned what it is about AI and turn 9, but I think it might be that AI use wrong line there maybe ?

I did 1'30'7 with GT40 MK1 imitating car from the mod I have work on, and 1'39'1 with GT350 imitating car from same mod. Here I have found a lap time that Ken Miles achieved in testing http://www.mustangandfords.com/car-reviews/1310-track-test-shelby-gt-350. 1'39'9 is pretty impressive, I have done 1'39'1, but tires were full inch wider.

Thanks again for the track, it is great opportunity to test cars and have really great fun in circuit that has never changed.

20. Corti

Corti Registered

Although it is not the first time that I have created an AIW from scratch, I am not going to brag either as I do not think the total will reach a dozen. Mediocre driver too and I suppose that the mod used to create the AIW influences, I tried to guide me a bit through the video of the Pescarolo and after some retouching of S.Victor (he is faster than me). I'm still not sure if a good AIW depends on how fast you go or the perfect line (I think it should be like that) because if you draw the line it would be ideal for any mod (I guess AI manages speed and physics ). In any case, any improvement is welcome. There is a public server in the IsR with the Radical of Studio in case someone wants to register their hot lap.
    Thank you very much for the comments, :)

memoNo1, Hazi, pkelly and 2 others like this.