Disappointing return after a year long pause [VR]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrindil, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience giving the game another try after being gone for over a year.
    So while I downloaded the game, I caught up on some news from the roadmaps.
    I realised that the shaders and materials had undergone an upgrade and only a select few cars/tracks were up-to-date to these changes. Fair enough, I unsubscribed from all steam workshop content as I was subscribed to over 50GB of content, most of which probably wasn't updated yet.
    I wanted a clean start, and decided to only subscribe to Studio397's own content.
    My first problem arose here. As far as I know, there's no way to check which content is up-to-date to the current engine standards, unless you manually go through all previous roadmaps and take notes. I had to subscribe to all content created by studio397, and some items were last updated in 2017.

Anyways, I started the game and after about a half hour of changing controls, settings etc. I was ready to go in VR. I picked Loch Drummond, which to my knowledge is updated to the latest standards, and chose the AC Cobra to take it for a spin. I clearly had performance issues, so I restarted and turned every graphics setting to low or off. I went back and although it was better, I couldn't maintain 90fps at all. I went back to the menu, set AI to 0, and decided to try again.. Nope. Can't run on 90fps.
    I have a RX480 and a Ryzen 5 3600 with 16GB RAM.

I understand that running high or medium settings in VR is asking for too much, but I can't even play when driving alone on track while everything looks as low quality as it can be. This was a disappointing experience to say the least, especially since I had looked forward to give my once favourite sim another go after such a long time. /rant

2. Ariff

Ariff Registered

Better prepare for this month's roadmap, i'm ready to be disappointed.
    Anyways, RX480... Should be fine in a single car session. Maybe try a different track? I assume you've already tried that?

3. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I don't think that the RX480 is up to running rF2 in VR. Checking gpu benchmark it's in the the range of my old gpu wich was a GTX 770 and with that gpu I had big issues running rF2 at steady 60 FPS with a single screen at 1440x900. Even if it is a bit better, I wouldn't expect that card to be able to run more demanding games in VR. A friend of mine has a RTX 2070 and even that gpu struggles with games like DCS. So I wouldn't blame your performance issues just on rF2. I am pretty sure with the respective gpu you would have no issues and it doesn't matter if you wait another year. The RX480 will certainly not catch up with the software. I think for VR you should be aiming in the range of a 1080TI considering that there are even more demanding sims for VR like ACC for example and that you propably want to do more than just hotlapping. My two cents

Alex72, Emery, atomed and 1 other person like this.
  4. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i think the lowest official AMD VR ready card is RX 580 which is actually an RX 480 but more modern

5. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

you have a low Spec GPU and you will play a high Spec Game with a High Usage Profil (VR is the most high Usage that you can use). I think it is quite normal that this does not work performant.

Update your PC and have Fun!

6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Pick up your self a gtx 1080 mine runs rf2 quite well even with 2020 spec upgrades.

I'll be selling mine come Xmas.

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

The Rx480 is definitely not enough for rfactor2 specially if you want to run medium-high setting.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yep that GPU isn't great for VR, also the AC Cobra (from memory) is a very intensive car in that it has a lot of details.

Emery likes this.
  9. Comante

Comante Registered

And more: what HMD?

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Drummond isn't the best optimised track out there.

Also in Drummond the day is rather short. And sunrises and sunsets increases performance load, particularly in Drummond quite a lot...

Also Also Cobra in Drummond ? Thats mazochist combo for first drive after a long break. Unless you have discipline to drive well under a limit at any track any time. Otherwise it will be spinfest and crashfest, plus performance issues - thats doomed to be unenjoyable and non immersive.

11. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

480 is closer to a 970... But it's still optimistic to expect a flawless VR-experience using cards like these...
    Not really worth the tantrum, I'd say...

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I remember the minimum spec that Oculus mentioned ages ago was at least a 980 or 1080.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Those minimum specs didn't really mean that much when you can use ASW, I survived with that on a 970 just fine (but i certainly had my expectations in check!).

14. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Completely agree. A far better tantrum would be to say that after a year: the freeze bugs are still there, there's no easy way to set up a server for your mates, the UI is still not finished, the competition system not released, the AI still hasn't had any improvement, there's still no drivetrain simulation (community have made one), there's still no environment simulation, there's still no wet line improvement, the offline experience is still non existent, each official track seems to be at a different state of development, still no icon creator tool (community have made one), still no fix for the edge baker tool, still no headlight flashing function (community have made one).

enduser and Ariff like this.
  15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

As much as I agree with a big part of your complaints, the fact that content looks to be in very different development states is to a big part down to complaints from the community. I remember a vivid discussion here in the forum about trees after Nordschleife was released. After those complaints S397 implemented new foliage shaders, that propalby took some time to develop, let alone to implement it for all the available content, wich still hasn't happened. At that time I told the complainers that stuff like this stretches the quality gap between new and old content even more and that new tech implementations will inevitably lead to longer development times where it would have been nice to get some of the stuff you mentioned instead. And considering that S397 have to make sure that they don't break 3rd party content, it propably requires a bit more testing than when Reiza or Kunos implement something new, wich makes it look slow. All in all they will never please everyone, and I cross my fingers that they finaly keep the base tech and graphics pipeline that they have now and bring everything up to the spec of Le Mans, Portland and the likes, before they touch new aspects. You can have the best looking car and track in the game, it all breaks down when the rest of the content isn't up to par. And I can only hope that content standarization is high up the list, because some of the content is certainly in need for some new shaders.

16. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I understand your point, but I think that's a poor excuse in 2020.

For example, if you implement new foliage shaders, you need to go back to all your tracks you've made and see if they can be applied to those to make improvements and not release anything until everything that you are responsible is up to standard. Is there a plan to update all the available content? Because there's no indication of it? No transparency again. Just a catalog of inconsistencies.

With regard to third party content - it's not their responsibility. If they make a change it's not their job to update 3rd party content and they shouldn't be worrying about if it breaks it or not. The ideal situation would be for the devs to document the changes made, and then tell the 3rd party authors of what changes they made, and how to make them to get the 3rd party cars/tracks up to standard. It's the middle of 2020 and we've still not had anything substantial. A trickle of documents. It takes people here on the forum to actually reverse engineer what's going on and come up with solutions. It's piss poor.

I realise the irony of my statement as I have cars I released in 2006 which are broken - not optimised for DX11, no PBR shaders, no updated physics. The difference is... I don't get paid for making them.

DaREALMastaD and Ariff like this.
  17. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

The RX480 was the first and lowest spec official VR-ready GPU from AMD. I had no issues with it whatsoever running medium / low settings when sims started implementing their VR support. To this day, I don't have any issues with other sims in VR as long as I keep my graphics settings in check. rFactor 2 is the exception here, and everyone suggesting me to " just buy a 600$ GPU" isn't helping, at all.

This is wrong.

Wasn't aware of the performance load of Loch Drummond and the Cobra, thanks. Unfortunately It'll be a few weeks from now till I get another opportunity to give rFactor2 a go, and I'm not sure I wanna give it another try given the fact that my free time is precious and a few other sims weren't as time consuming and didn't have those performance issues, so I know for a fact that those can give me a fun experience without wasting my time like that.

It's an Oculus CV1.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Official Oculus Rift (CV1) Recommended Specs:
    • Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater.
    • NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD R9 290 or greater.

19. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

This is straight from the oculus website. Not sure why you're leaving the RX480 out of your post, but you should've include it.
    [​IMG]

20. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I don't think Oculus/Facebook can tell the minimum and recommended specs (GPU and CPU) needed for rF2 in VR. Even more when rF2 isn't in Oculus Store but in Steam Store. But S397 could (for Intel, AMD and NVIDIA)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020