F1 80's Mod project seasons pack (historical demo released)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by trollray, Apr 27, 2020.

1. atomed

atomed Member

Definitely S397 could use a sound engineer to make things fantastic sound side, hire doddynco already.

trollray likes this.
  2. trollray

trollray Registered

Definitely, sounds are a big part of the immersion. ;)
    But, to tell you more, i was a bit frustrated with older graphics in this sim but now, studio 397 have made a big step with ibl shaders.
    For me, Rf2 is the best racesim physical engine.
    And now, we will have better and better contents. Just look at the screenshots of some mods or content, wow.
    If they hire DOddynco, not before he finishes the work on this mod.
    That's a very solid contract he has now lolll

Ok, too much talk.
    A coffee and i get back to my work on tracks. ;)

Cheers

Lars, Manfredk2 and atomed like this.
  3. atomed

atomed Member

Lol keep up with the good work trollray, cheers.

4. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Thank you for your kind words guys :)

I'm going to be working on the BMW engine cars over the next few weeks. That is the Brabham, Arrows and Bennetton. It's an in-line four single turbo, so it will have a unique sound compared to the Ferrari v6 twin turbo.

I'm really happy to be working with Trollray as we are both very enthusiastic about putting together the best historic package possible.

I think the dumpvalve settings need looking at to make sure it's active when changing gear with a manual setup because the dumpvalve sound on the Ferrari seems to be missing from Trollrays video (when he is driving - AI works fine).

The first car is by far the most work as I have to get to grips with the sound engine, and create a template for the other cars. I'm happy to say that the Ferrari sound is (almost) complete, so the hard part is out of the way. I'm really enjoying working on it and a super looking forward to having a full grid roaring.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Lars, Hazi, tjc and 10 others like this.
  5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

The Bennetton is coming together nicely and the interior sound is near enough complete. There will be some small variants between the three BMW engine cars - they have a distinct sound compared to the V6's.

I'm working off the old textures at the moment so don't be alarmed - update in progress. This is still using the Ferrari engine physics as a placeholder - the finished BMW version will have more lag and higher peak power. This is in race trim - around 800bhp.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  6. tjc

tjc Registered

Sounding gooooood! :cool:

Hazi likes this.
  7. trollray

trollray Registered

WOw, i like this living engine sound.
    It feels brutal already.
    Very nice job @doddynco
    Cheers ;)

doddynco likes this.
  8. trollray

trollray Registered

New major update!!
    **Graphical update**
    New version for all tracks and cars working now with new ibl shaders.
    All tracks have received also new tarmac textures in 4k.
    All tracks and cars rain effects working.
    Consider that as a first pass and a basis for future updates.
    hope you like the work.

**Sounds updates**
    Joining me in this project,
    @doddynco make all the work on new sounds.
    Only ferrari engine sounds are made for now but with the 5 gear correct gearbox.
    You can also hear the sound using the osella, minardi and ags.
    All credits goes to him for that.

Cheers and happy driving

Lars, Churrinche, tjc and 10 others like this.
  9. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi, hope you like it guys.
    Don't hesitate to give some feedback as it help me to correct or/and ameliorate this. ;)
    The downloading could be long, i hope all works well on steam?

As i plan to release some little updates when they will be made, somebody can tell me how to make little updates on steam?
    That could help me.
    Thanks
    Cheers

10. Bradley

Bradley Registered

I'm glad you guys updated the 1988 mod as it desperately needed it without a doubt.

11. Corti

Corti Registered

great job mate
    to be continued...1989?

atomed likes this.
  12. heisenberg70

heisenberg70 Registered

Just one word: WOW! :D

13. heisenberg70

heisenberg70 Registered

I don't need that. Sorry ;)
    I need/wish Indycar/CART 1995/96 in this quality, hehehe....no offense against the CART 98 mod...

14. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Aright Trollray. Well done on this milestone - it's a huge amount of work you've been doing updating all the textures and props to you for that :) The 80's tracks have a nice amount of surface detail and the road surface and the grass is looking good.

I don't know why, but in the showroom, the Ferrari and the Bennetton look blurry when i'm zoomed out - they don't look like they're wearing the new updates. All the other cars seem fine. I have cleared my cbash & shaders but the problem persists. The top picture is a good example for comparison.

Untitled.png

Monza's 'off-track' detail is a good benchmark for the rest of the tracks to follow. Spa's road is good, but the tree placements/models need a once over to bring them up to standard. On all the tracks, the metal crash barriers are a very prominent feature, and could do with some attention on their textures/material so that they are less repetitive (adding dirt and stuff) and are more appealing to the eye. But it's a brilliant start my friend - you have made an excellent foundation for the project.

Could you perhaps give everyone an idea what your attention is focused on now - what are your plans are following this update?

For the next update, and whilst I'm working on the sounds, I'm going to be paying close attention to the physical details of each vehicle, starting with the engines. I have been wrapping my head around the turbo system in the engine file and have made some nice progress on the single Turbo, BMW engine. The WIP has a race tuned turbo with a bit more lag and power than the Ferrari. The wastegate is opening at around 3.5 bar - this is good for +900bhp. Then, using the same engine.ini, I can seal the wastegate shut (just like they use to back in '86), and allow the turbo fire up to an unrestricted, unsustainable, 5.5 bar, or 'qualifying mode' as most of you will know it. If you exit the parabolica perfectly, you can just hit Bergers Monza speed record of 219mph over the finish line. Perfec :) The non-BMW engines will not quite have that fury.

It now has some very interesting and realistic characteristics for the driver to deal with: 1st will not really get the turbo going and in 2nd gear the pressure will start to build just before you change up to 3rd - it's very manageable at low speed. In 3rd and 4th, the boost is delivered rapidly. The car is acting just like it does here on the exit to this slow corner: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbxdmtpujw0&feature=youtu.be&t=2205

Here are my best estimates for the power of main '86 teams, and the targets for each engine in the next update. Please feel free to contribute:

Ferrari:
    (R) 900bhp@11,500rpm
    (Q) 1220bhp@11,500rpm

BMW: Single turbo with notably sharper power delivery, narrowest power band.
    (R) 940bhp@11,000rpm
    (Q) 1380bhp@11,600rpm

Honda:
    (R) 910bhp@12,000rpm
    (Q) 1180bhp@12,200rpm

Renault:
    (R) 880bhp@12,500rpm
    (Q) 1220bhp@12,800rpm

Tag Porsche: Smooth power delivery, tyre friendly.
    (R) 830bhp@11,000rpm.
    (Q) 1150bhp@11,500rpm.

Providing it's ok with Trollray, I would like to intergrate the qually engines into the package - they are in my eyes, a very exciting part of the '86 season. Unfortunately, I don't think we will be able to intergrate this with the AI, and so therefore it would need to be for player 'non-competitive' driving only. Maybe we will be able to force the AI to use a different upgrade/driving style package for quallyfing only in a future 397 update.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  15. RoWo

RoWo Member

Just looked into the update for some minutes without driving. Looks good, great update!
    If I'm not mistaken, the 86' Tyrell has a problem with the region map.

Will you do also puddle maps for the tracks?

16. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi all,
    @doddynco , great feedback as usual ;)
    I'll make a search for benetton textures asap.
    Great to hear what you are doing in your todo list, very promising, Thumbs up!
    For qualy engines, it's more in the side of studio 397.
    Even with only humans, you need to quit the session to change the update i think.
    So it's not very user friendly for now but yes, if you want it, you can do it of course ;)

@RoWo , Tyrell have a base texture with too much shadows directly draw on it i think and they look grey instead of white parts.
    For the regions, they are not implemented for now and all carbody are using the same ibl value. That's in my todo list of future updates ;)
    (88 cars need also more attention )

About the way in the future.
    I'm finishing my vacations now and of course i will have less time to do the things.
    But that doesn't mean less motivation ;)

That's why i wanted to make the base work and let you use it already.
    (Hey, i just had time to play and drive only yesterday, a shame lol )

My dream in the future is to have all tracks at the "studio 397 portland" level.
    Not in the polygones shapes of objects ( because i'm not able to do it ) but more in a render way.
    Imo, the textures and different rendering effects (lights, reflections, etc...) have more impact than polygones.
    And, too much polygones can give older pc some fps drops too.

To do list :
    - Small bugs fixing
    - 88 cars textures update ( shadows draw for shapes like 86 ones )
    - region map for all cars
    - Trackside objects textures (barriers are part of it ;) )
    - Puddle maps ( need more info with 3dsimed and blender to do it, so for now on standby)
    - Night lights and effects (could be usefull for other mods like gtpc 1984 by the way , ;) )

Imho rfactor 2 is still a sandbox (a very good one indeed ) if no complete seasons packs are available.
    payware or free.
    But very understandable when you think about property rights ( Formula 1 rights are cheap i'm sure loll )
    That's just bad i don't have millions to offer because it's the only racesim that can handle correctly 60's cars for example.
    Tyre engine is the best, period ;)
    I have no millions but a bit of time, why not doing this mod ;)

That's my dreaming objectives but only time tells ;)
    Cheers

Lars, Churrinche, tjc and 2 others like this.
  17. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

18. Bradley

Bradley Registered

One problem with the Mexican GP circuit, the pit entry, most of the time the cars' rear wheel touches the curb and spins out into the path of oncoming cars.

19. trollray

trollray Registered

@ChiefWiggum many thanks man.
    I'll check this tonight.
    @Bradley same here, thanks for the feedback.
    Just a general question, sound stupid but if i do some small updates like those, how can i do it with steamcmd?
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  20. RoWo

RoWo Member

GRAB_022.JPG