Same grid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcos Guk, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Marcos Guk

Marcos Guk Registered

Guys, I'm setting up an offline championship through r2la, but some drivers who were in the first race were different from the second, can you always keep the same grid?

2. Marcos Guk

Marcos Guk Registered

Detail, when setting up the second race I changed only the track

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

4. enduser

enduser Registered

No it can't be done, every time you enter a race event or resume via replay AI is generated on the spot so all this functionality is useless gimmicks.

Btw that vid is absolutely hilarious , "don't worry you need only the first 15 minutes" lol ok, and the whole vid is 40 min in 40 min you complete a race with a decent length. In the game menus atm, if you're an absolute loser and and boot/add AI until the same name pops up or something like that will do it.

Idk if it's in that vid but one way is to build a car class (official cars are locked tho) and a AI ... don't remember what it's called... one of endless rf2 txt files, it's an AI skillset file with names and # for each driver for all teams like in carrera4's f1 1986 mod.

Welcome to rf2, where useless complexity meets chaotic design!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  5. Marcos Guk

Marcos Guk Registered

Friend, thank you so much for your help, as I play only offline I found out that Rfactor 2 is not for me.

Very good definition "Welcome to rf2, where useless complexity meets chaotic design!"

6. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

That should be possible, when you setup your session settings accordingly.
    Just always select the same opponents before starting a race and your grid should remain the same.

You could also setup a mod that only contains the right cars and tracks and use that instead of "all tracks and cars"
    Here's a guide about how to do so:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=554544322
    and just in case, here's how to use it
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553134744

Emery likes this.
  7. enduser

enduser Registered

Another gimmick, you just dub existing content in your hdd and if you want to change anything you do it all over again, like updating a track... i really got to ask have you ever used that feature and for what?

As for online we know custom servers don't work that way and leagues do not as well, were you download the content you need directly from their server, or you can make a 7z file and have your "package".

AI talent file is a very cool feature tho, which nobody ever uses it the way it works atm (exactly because of the above, except the embedded one in the f1 1986 mod).

@Markos Guk yea come back in a decade or so when the new UI will be probably up and running and may or may not have a championship builder

Btw the silence from s397 is deafening as always, because of the new UI chapter, other programming languages can't write a championship builder and the AI bugs is the holy grail of any sim as we know, it's what drives the sales, nobody dares to touch that. So there's a slave engineer at the basement coding a UI (rumors have it it's in beta now) so we can enjoy the fruits of his labour at the future with warp drive, flying cars and stuff. :)

8. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Well, I use it pretty much all the time for running a local dedicated server.
    Of course you are right, maintaining such a vmod is a major pita and that's why I made a request in the wish list forum a while ago.

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

What does "setting up an offline championship" mean? Whats the goal or the wanted result?
    Do iRacing, AMS, AMS2 (or AC) support this?

10. J0E

J0E Registered

I have two different setups that use the same drivers each race--one uses U.S. Presidents and the other movie western actors. The information in the Steam link posted by Max D above is what you need. There is one warning, however. If you change the name of a driver in the .veh file, you cannot use that same name elsewhere in RFactor 2. For example, if you were to set up a race event and replace one of the drivers with "Dirk Diggler" you cannot use "Dirk Diggler" anywhere else in any race event. Only one of the cars driven by Dirk Diggler will show up.

Lazza and Max Dralle like this.
  11. Raven_ARG

Raven_ARG Registered

This was always an issue since rf1, I play most of the time offline too so I figured it out for using tools like rf2 analyzer.
    The way you can get the same grid is filling it to the max according to the type of car or sorting.

Eg: I remember that the cars in Endurancers mod were divided by year and series, like ELMS16 for example... So when you select one of them, the possible ai opponents for ELMS16 were 13 in total (lmps and gts). If you set the AI opponents number to 13, you will get the same 13 AIs all the time because the drivers in that series are those 13 and nothing else.

But.. If you download a mod which contains 60 cars in a single series and you select 30 opponents for racing, the game will always fill the 30 grid randomizing all the 60 drivers per session.

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Still the same question. Whats the goal of "setting up an offline championship" and do iRacing, AMS, AMS2 (or AC) support this? I am asking for these titles cause for me these are the simracing titles available on PC market next to rF2. I know my question doesn't really help the OP. Just out of curious.

13. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

AMS does, AMS2 will do. AC does if i recall correctly. RRRE does as well. There is a 3rd party option to do so with rf2.

14. J0E

J0E Registered

Vittorio, for me the goal of doing this is so I can compete without racing online. Using Log Analyzer, I can set up a series and race against the same AI drivers offline and have my own season. Log Analyzer keeps track of all the stats/finishes/etc from each race and awards points and stuff. My schedule doesn't allow me to dedicate the time or regularity of racing online.

vittorio likes this.
  15. enduser

enduser Registered

Very true but then you have random AI strength too, which means , an easy example, if you race with asr f1 91 grid ayrton senna will have random grid position each race, may be in the back may be in the mid , some footwork or larrousse has the pole and williams is last etc.

Take gt3 packs , there's fantasy liveries i want to exclude for being very not immersive but i have to do this for every car which is btw a car class so you have to add each car manually every time, unlike eg. BES mods which you load one gt3 and it loads all BES gt3 cars automatically!! because they're named with the same car class! First of all you can't see the livery/number combo you want to boot in the AI screen so you go back and forth... and after doing that you can't save it (who would have thought of that), so for a car filter i must right that down, exit, make a vmod including all my track folder (i only want a car filter) and the said car selection.
    That's for one car class! if i want similar filter for another type of car i must make another vmod dubbing all my tracks yet again (i can race gt3 & others anywhere i like except kart tracks/ovals) in order to save that grid!! *facepalm*

You may want to do another non championship race and you change your settings, if you want to resume your championship you must remember your settings and put them again, does vmod save any of that or is it just car/track filter?

That's why we invented storing what we do in order not to repeat the same things the next day. ISI/s397 reinvented bureaucracy, bureaucracy creates more jobs, rf2 creates more steam hours logged in i guess!

Are we convinced yet? :D

In grids where you dont care that much you still have every AI driver taking championship points from race to race so if you re somewhat consistent at the points you 'll have no rival because AI points will be randomly spread in the entire field.

That's before you stumble upon other problems like track AI strength, if you've set AI according to a track with 1.1 multiplier next round you may have a track with 1.2 and the AI is insanely faster than you no matter what you do (~a sec or more), and yes you could exit the race and lower the AI from the menu load the track again and see what comes out of it... next round repeat... :confused: (i'm talking steam workshop only tracks) If you use a vmod and want to change the track ai multiplier you must make your vmod again! hahaha

Then there is fuel/tire management, misleading fuel consumption in the setup menu, remember to assign manually car config for the AI, and in case you have lengthy sessions close to full length you have to do all weekend in one go because there's no saving your progress (including real road progression starting from practice, where you build your setup for qualify).

Last race i did was official car and track, bt44 in imola 70, let's do a quick race what can go wrong , right? 15 lap race in the final laps braking becomes unstable so at top speed braking at tosa i lose the car and go mow some grass , 14th lap i do the same and i wonder if my tire temps are so uneven but they re not that much wtf... after that i realise that with the laps and cars in the track the racegroove should start showing, except it didn't so without knowing i was braking with one side of the car in the invisible racegroove and the other in the green, so off i went twice and it felt my race was for nothing.

The Rf2 offline experience! (same grid easy peasy than what)

So pls tell me how good is rf2 AI.