Food for thought: Damage model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Remco Majoor, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Filip

Filip Registered

In my opinion it adds a lot to immersive racing atmosphere.
    I hate it when cars bounce of the wall as if they were made of rubber.
    These examples from the iRacing video are really impressive to me.

FORMULAEFAN71, Louis, enduser and 2 others like this.
  2. enduser

enduser Registered

Impressive, at the point which rf2 (or v3) has implemented something like that it ll be the super simulator.

For know i d like my wheels not to get stuck in the barriers pls!

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Makes you wonder: With the amount of processing power rf2 already requires, would implementing a super realistic damage model only make those demands worse?

But I would like to see something like a no escape rule for online. AFAIK, the iRacing V8SCOPS series has to get the driver get permission to escape if he crashes out, so that it can force a safety car for more realism.

4. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Depends, on how realistic they would make it. We also don't know what forces are already calculated etc. But I think that a dumbed down version of what iR is doing now, should not have to be too resource intensive (not talking from experience hehe).

GTWS in LFS had this as well. The SC added such a great strategy to the mix. It was so much more alive than what I see these days in leagues.

5. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I think we all want it. What S397 can do or what is possible to do is another matter.

6. Filip

Filip Registered

For a start I would like to see more realistic vehicle bouncing of objects and other vehicles. So that when car hits the wall it stays there usually. Falling wheels and bigger parts are already in rf2. Those iRacing flying debris is great but if it takes too many resources not necessary in a first phase.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

A more realistic way of tipping out NASCAR or touring cars as well.

8. Jra

Jra Registered

Just a more detailed damage for tires would improve this a lot imo.

9. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I htink the suspension is the most important in this. tires itself not so much.

10. JParra

JParra Registered

I think that a damage model is necessary to simulate racing, it is undeniable that it is part of racing.
    If an advanced model is unfeasible due to the power demand required, at least some scratch textures and some generic dents, without reaching the iRacing, but that the scars of a hard race are noticeable in the cars, it is essential.
    I'm not talking about super realistic BeamNG type damage ... but something that reflects the toughness of a race with light contacts and some friction on the wall would make the overall experience somewhat sublime.

It is my opinion and I know that rF2 needs to polish things here or there, but as a great missing section, it is undoubtedly a damage model at the height of the rest or at least realism to be a complete simulator and much more attractive for creators of content and streamers that, in the end, are one of the best marketing weapons out there.

iRacing knows it and that's why it keeps working on it.
    Please S397, don't fall asleep with this for much longer.

Adrian Blasco likes this.
  11. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I don’t watch NASCAR but aren’t the hoods made of carbon fibre?

12. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

don't think so. It's NASCAR, they still use carburettors, let alone carbon fibre

13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I had proposed something in the wishlist part of the forum, it's running so I post it there to feed the thread :

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/improve-the-graphical-visual-damage-system.65065/

"Improving the graphical/visual damage system is certainly not a priority, but what is certain and what many people say is that it is not up to par.

As it is not a priority unlike for example the improvement of the physics engine or the realism of driving on wet road or the realistic clutch or the graphical performance, I think it would be good to improve the existing by making these visual effects more visible :

The visual effects of body deformation must IMO be much more visible and while maintaining this system, a maximum of body elements/wheels should be able to come off, because the effect can be impressive.

I presume that it would take a """limited""" time to make these improvements, for a real gain in immersion."

14. Comante

Comante Registered

These would be welcomed, but I would prefer tire and suspension damage from the road surface. Now only other objects can damage them. What I mean is that the car should suffer damage from jumps , curbs but actually, the road surface is some sort of safe space.

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You were sounding so reasonable until that last line.... :)

16. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I think damage is very important indeed, you drive differently, more realistically when you know you're not indestructible. GTR2 did it very, very well! Always drove it with full damage settings, made the racing properly engaging! If only we could have damage like that still! Beam NG is amazing! I don't think it will be all that long till we see computers powerful enough to run the visuals and physics capable of running a sim with both the driving/tyre physics/visuals and physical damage of something like RF2 and Beam NG put together, imagine that!

Rui Santos likes this.
  17. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Actually they don't use carburetors anymore.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Damage is immersive. But even more immersive is as much as possible clean racing and driving. Crash multiple times per race, crash hard, keep doing that... And you can throw all immersion out.

I'd love gearbox and clutch damage.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  19. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

For offline racing unfortunately, because the AI still has a lot of problems, setting the damage to 100% risks 3/4 of the time destroying your race even when you drive "like a pro" (cleanly).

For the sake of realism, I would like to put at 100%, but for this reason I put at 5% (symbolic and almost nonexistent damage).

Same principle as the racing rules that I must put in black or OFF.

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I'd say its something like 1/6 of the time, but I guess that depends on a lot of things.