Problems setting up a dedicated server

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by StubbornGymnast, Aug 4, 2020.

1. StubbornGymnast

StubbornGymnast Registered

Hello,

I was trying to set up an Rfactor 2 server where my brother and me could drive against eachother.
    So i tryed to set one up in the host function when starting up Rfactor 2, but i never could find my server.
    Then i read about the ports that need to be open and did that but i still couldn't see my server. Then i came across this: https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/setting-up-a-dedicated-server i did the first steps and when i got to command and type in: steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../rFactor2-Dedicated +app_update 400300 +quit, i get the error: this app cannot run on your pc check with the software developer if a version exist for you're pc. Can somebody help me with this? i have already invested a few hours sorting this out and just don't know how to get this fixed and get a server running.

2. StubbornGymnast

Ok i figured the above out. Now i when i try the dedicated exe i get the message: Dedicated servers requires atleast one other mod besides ''All tracks & cars'' installed. In mas i already created my custom event and in mod manager it says i installed it. Does anybody know to fix this?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Check your folders are correct in mod manager, and make sure you are starting the server with the working folder pointing to the correct folder.

StubbornGymnast likes this.
  4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

How did you start the server, via the shortcut or directly from the exe? Also can you post a screenshot of your modmanager?
    You will typically get that error message if starting directly from the exe, or the modmanager is installing race events in the wrong place.

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Bugga you Lazza :D:D

6. StubbornGymnast

Thanks both, i got it working as it was installed in the wrong folder so thanks a lot, but i still can't find my server sadly, i have all the correct ports forward etc and i just can't find it, even disabled the firewall and still nothing.

7. Goanna

Goanna Registered

If your server is on your local network and your router does not support Nat loopback, then to see it you’ll need to change the http port in the server’s multiplayer.json file to 27013. You will also need to port forward TCP 27013 and UDP ports 27014 & 27015. It should then appear in the LAN tab in the lobby.

8. StubbornGymnast

Thanks very much for you’re help mate really appreciate it. Will give it a try when i get home.

Goanna likes this.
  9. StubbornGymnast

It worked thank you so much!

Goanna likes this.
  10. StubbornGymnast

I have another problem now haha, my brother can't see the server on Wan. He isn't living in the same house to make it clear so do i need to change something in the port forwarding?

Edit: In customplugins this file isn't there and i think it should be?: "SteamPlugin.dll":{
    " Enabled":1
    I put the above manualy in the customplugin file, launch the game in single player but in when i click the plugin tab its not there, i open up the file again and the steam plugin is missing again. Could that be the problem?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  11. StubbornGymnast

@Goanna can you help me with the above? Sorry for being so stupid but im not that great with computers.

12. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

If your hosting over a WAN you need ports 54297, 64297, 64298 & 64299 open, and make sure the open ports point to the same ip as the host pc

SS

13. StubbornGymnast

Thanks you for helping, those ports You mentioned are open plus my static ip: 192.168.0.1. Although when i do ip config it says 192.168.2.1, maybe i should try that adress? Im sorry if i ask stupid questions but i know very little about computers.

14. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Couple of things to check, on the server computer first run a command prompt ie in the search box bottom left (I'm assuming you're on Windows 10) type in cmd and press enter, this with bring up the command prompt window. Now type in there ipconfig /all and press enter, this will bring up a lot of info, you're looking for the line that starts with IPv4 Address... this will show the IP address of the computer. Check that it is the same as what you have entered when you did your port forwarding.

The other thing to check is to see if the ports are indeed open, got to https://www.portcheckers.com/ It should detect your external IP address, change the 80 to 27013 and press the check button

EDIT: yep your port forwarding IP should match the ipconfig IP. Note if you have a lot of devices on your local network, it's IP address may change depending on what starts first....google how to set your computer with a static IP

15. StubbornGymnast

thanks a million, will try it tomorrow.

16. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

If you restart the router or the host pc then the IP will probably change. So you will need check and adjust the ports/IP to point to the hosting pc

SS

17. StubbornGymnast

Ok i have dynamic ip, did your steps and my ip from cmd says :192.168.15.147 instead of 192.168.0.1. Will give it a go. Btw does it matter if i change it to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.15.147? also port 80 was closed, should that also be open? again sorry for the stupid questions.

Edit: yes also port 27013 was closed.

Edit: tryed to change it to 192.168.1.1 and it say its an invalid ip, also tryed 217.27.234.132 not a valid ip either. I did the port checker and it say all the ports(27013,54297, 64297) are closed while they should be open. I don't understand how that is possible.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  18. Goanna

Goanna Registered

If cmd returned 192.168.15.147 then you should forward ports to that IP address. Just to be clear on ports to forward use;
    TCP 27013
    TCP 54297
    UDP 54297
    UDP 27014
    UDP 27015
    I have seen some suggest that on local networks that TCP/UDP 54297 has been problematic, so you could change TCP & UDP 54297 above to 54397.
    Before you do any of the above it might pay to set a static IP for the server computer... => https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-windows-10.htm otherwise every time you start your computer/modem, you’re going to get a different IP address and have to change your port forwarding rules.

19. StubbornGymnast

You’re a legend, i will try tomorrow. Thank you for you’re patience and help.

20. StubbornGymnast

@Goanna I know what i did wrong in the sense i port forwarded on my modem instead of my router, i know so stupid. No i opened up the ports on my router aswell. I can't see the server myself on wan only on lan, can you check if you can see it on wan? the name is: f1 fun server.