Issues with Stock cars 2018

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by avenger82, Aug 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

It’s hard not to agree with what he says (at the beginning )

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. Robes

Robes Registered

Taking a cue from that video I just wanted to say this sim is both the best sim and the most frustrating/broken sim at the same time.
    Every time I play it I love the way the cars feel, for me it is second to none - brilliant. However, everything else about this sim is a frustrating broken mess. It is absolutely aggravating.

Please Studio 397 - implement some of the following:
    Provide pre-setup events for things like LeMans, Formula E, GT3, stock cars etc. There should be an option in the main menu to play a 'LeMans' event where the game sets up all the AI and road files appropriately, sets up all the practise, qualifying and race sessions, rules etc. The only thing we should have to alter is AI strength, race length and track selection, that's all we should have to do. Just this one step would make this sim so much better.

Please fix the AI so that it drives more like a person rather than a digital switch. Fix the AI behaviour behind the safety car - these problems have been there far too long!

I love your sim, but everything surrounding the driving seems to be going backwards. I buy all your DLC but even I am exasperated by the situation.

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I watched 8minutes. Long story short - was not satisfied by AI pace, also by how flags worked.

DriverJay, atomed, Mark Lloyd and 2 others like this.
  4. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Good guy Billy angry and grumpy at sims, going in circles. Nothing new or surprising here. At that stage he should just stop with YouTube, sims, or both. Note that YouTube rewards being angry at stuff instead of appreciate what we have for the ridiculous minuscule niche we are.

t0p5ecret, Mark Lloyd and atomed like this.
  5. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

Haven't watched the video but I assume it's a negative one, that's o.k.

I hope S397 doesn't try to bring iR users over as that is wasted time. iR offers a service and that is what people pay for, the software itself has just as many issues as any other title released. Plus brand loyalty is huge in this genre of gaming. Sim racers opinions of software isn't going to change with a new UI or flag rules or whatever.

S397 should concentrate on what their current core users want, keep them happy first. Me personally, I would love to see S397 move into a "boutique" direction. Offer race cars that the other titles aren't. Just my opinion though.

Mark Lloyd and atomed like this.
  6. Brent

Brent Registered

It helps when you have the stockcar rules setup properly by creating a rfmod and use the rfm to customize the rules to your liking...

7. Robes

Robes Registered

That’s exactly the problem with this simulator though. I don’t even know what an rfmod is or rfm and I shouldn’t have to. Why can’t he just set up the race in the game, it should be easy. It’s exactly the problem that ruins the enjoyment of what should be the best sim on the market.

avenger82, DriverJay and atomed like this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The original designers gave you freedom. Seems you know about as much about how to use freedom as the last couple of American generations. Take the freedom given to you. Embrace it..create something just for you...or...pick something else. Either way, enjoy.

9. Robes

Robes Registered

Wow, this got really political all of a sudden. I’m out, thank you.

10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You don't have to. ACC is right out there, one click away. F12020, etc etc. If you want a self contained package, then there are PLENTY of options. If you want something NOBODY else offers...you can only find it here.

VirusGR42 and Mark Lloyd like this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

And this is why some people think rF2 fans never criticise the game. We all know it should be simpler, end of discussion. And there's been mention of improvements in oval logic, so let's look forward to that - because many people (not just iRacers) like oval racing.

I'm not going to comment on the video because I see no reason to click on it and potentially reward someone for having an opinion just so I can take part in a discussion the maker will never see. If you want to discuss something state your opinion - posting a video link with a "what do you think?" is ambiguous and lazy.

MarcG likes this.
  13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Difference between fan and fanboy.
    That's all.

14. Robes

Robes Registered

I don't actually see why anyone would be against providing more accessible setup options for racing and also fixing the AI problems. None of these things alters what rF2 is or does. Why be so protective over that?

I prefer the physics of rF2 over any other sim out there by a large margin, it's a shame it's hamstrung by a very messy and bewildering experience on every other level.

DriverJay and pennywiseguy like this.
  15. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Hello everyone,
    I watched the video and Billy is definitely frustrated in the ability to setup a proper race easily and the AI behaving strange. He did say the physics were pretty darn good and if the other things could be fixed rFactor 2 would hands down blow away iRacing. We worked very hard on the physics to get the Stock Cars driving like a real Stock Car with feedback from real drivers. So it was good to here what we worked hard on was noticed. I agree with a lot of things he said. Setting up a race should be simple. He obviously did not set it up properly as it was using <all cars and tracks> which does not throw full course yellows. I am working at getting a default Event setup so users can use that and have proper flags.

As for AI, I am going to start working on Oval AI to see if we can get that improved a lot. It is something that has to be done per track as well, so we will have to work with third party track modders to get what Ovals that are out there to work better with AI racing. This is something that has been overlooked for a long time and I think it is very important to put some focus on it.

Rules plugin was worked on as well and works very well in online league environments. It still has some small edge cases and the code is being looked at a debugged to try and remedy those edge cases as well. The latest StockCarRulesPlugin should be included in next build release.

Right now the Stock Cars are a lot of fun running in a league environment. So if you want to experience them in some good side by side racing look at trying out a league that fits your schedule.

I have also been tweaking the painting templates and will get new versions out very soon. But you can still use the current ones in the templates folder.

Please definitely keep giving feed back on the Stock Cars (Good, Bad & Ugly) we are listening and reading everything being posted. Best place to post is Discord rF2 Oval Channel.

Cheers,
    Mike

16. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Sorry no disrespect but who are you. Are you a dev with s397? Wasn't really clear in any information given.
    Sorry

I do agree with Billy though the physics are great in rf2 and the stock car but everything else is just a freaking mine field.

pennywiseguy likes this.
  17. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

He is one of the people who did the update for the stock car.

atomed and LokiD like this.
  18. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Oh thanks sorry didn't realise. Again no disrespect

19. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

None taken. Just trying to help make things better for Oval racing.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    atomed and makan like this.
  20. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks! I can’t believe there’s an actual response from S397 devs to issues discussed on this forum(and I’m not joking or being sarcastic). Moreover a one , in which you acknowledge the issues and are going to address them (at least some).
    It looks like it’s not going to be one of those issues, that are put on ever increasing TODO list that we see no progress for years.
    I hope some aspects of AI could be improved in general too, because my impression is that it’s getting worse. For instance AI often just rams into you, if you happen to be slower then them (even at lower aggression setting).
    Long time ago when I was racing AI, they would more often use this as an opportunity to overtake or brake if not safe. But I’m sure it also depends highly on mod used.

Anyway I hope you’ll manage to make Stock Car racing enjoyable and rewarding to average user(edit: mostly regarding single player experience )

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    mschreiner likes this.