All aviable Laser Scanned tracks @ rF2 ! ! !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by memoNo1, Jul 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

It' s in aka Monaco.

2. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Yes youre right.
    Damn...

lagg likes this.
  3. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I don't want to be a party pooper. But you sure all know many are illegal conversions violating copyright. Just tell you before S397 will close that thread cause of that. So please act a bit more sensible and respect copyright. Like create a list of laser scanned tracks not violating copyright for sure and add to certain "maybe illegal" tracks (of course without a link) that those are maybe violating copyright laws (so only may be used in certain countries with more relaxed copyright laws, or you bought that track from copyright holder and only use it for private use in rF2).

EDIT: As an example: I used for a long time Assetto Corsa laser scanned Nordschleife conversion in rF2. As i bought AC and laser scanned Nordschleife and there is a law (in my country, Austria, which i believe is true for whole EU too) to be allowed reverse engineering applications and content already bought to get it to work for other (operating) systems for private use -> I was allowed to use bought AC Nordschleife in rF2 for private use.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  4. dumont

dumont Registered

5. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Lol.. I didn’t know that we have such many laser scan tracks in rfactor2!

memoNo1 likes this.
  7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

the question is how many legal laser scanned tracks we have in rF2. I estimate prox 10 legal laser scanned tracks for rF2.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    R.Noctua and Remco Majoor like this.
  8. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Good evening @Coutie. If there was any violation here, it was not my intention. I would remove the corresponding entries immediately !

9. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

memoNo1 and Corti like this.
  10. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

11. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

PM´ed, same place as usual

memoNo1 likes this.
  12. Gurney Flap

Gurney Flap Registered

memoNo1 and vittorio like this.
  13. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

14. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

And how much is there a track?
    How you can buy it?

15. Wayne Hutchison

Wayne Hutchison Registered

Don't the ground-based scans typically have a higher density point cloud? But aside from that, same general idea.

16. Gurney Flap

Gurney Flap Registered

Yes, they are usually more accurate as well. You could argue that slapping the "laser scanned" tag on a track that's been based on an aerial scan is a bit of a marketing trick (but it is not incorrect either).

The track meshes in racing games like rF2 or iRacing are anyways always simplified, since there's not enough processing power available on your regular PC to be able to calculate/drive the complete point cloud. It's only possible to do on high-end professional simulator systems with lots of processing juice.

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's not a site for people playing games to buy tracks on. That's a company that interacts with real racing teams, and you can read "real racing budgets" into that as well.

19. McNolo

McNolo Registered

Free sites that offer lidar scans are generally low-density, which is logical. A low density scan helps you create the shape of the track with fidelity, but there is not enough resolution for the smallest details, that can only be obtained with a denser scan. In any case, the quality of the track will always depend to a great extent on the author, there are tracks based on lidar-scan that are a disaster and others that are freehand that are magnificent.
    It's always nice to run on a track that is as close to real as possible, at least in its general form, but I don't think it's that important that it's accurate in detail, among other things because it's practically impossible to do it without a high-density scan like reference and even having it would not be easy to recreate everything exactly the same.

To give you an idea, this is an image of free lidar data from the Barcelona track.

[​IMG]

When you look at it closely you see that the density is low. With these data, you can fairly faithfully recreate the general shape of the track, but not the smallest details.

[​IMG]

andrea_274, Corti, McKiernan and 2 others like this.
  20. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Yep..
    That will probably be outside of my tight budget ... Norisring & Macau LaserScanned .. "dream .."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.