Please Make Auto Subscribing New Content Optional

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Max Dralle, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Dear @Christopher Elliott and @Marcel Offermans.

I guess, it is really meant with good purpose, but why do you still auto subscribe your new free content, instead of giving the user an option to subscribe, in case there is interest for it ?

In my case, I have zero interest in Stock Cars, but I had to wait until it got downloaded, before I could quit the game, find and unsubscribe in the workshop and restart the game again.

Loch Drummond is highly appreciated though... :)

Why not give the user just something like a checklist for what has become available so s/he could subscribe to it - if wanted - and then start the download ?

This is such a longstanding issue that frankly bothers me and probably a few other users as well and I certainly hope, it'll get resolved somehwere down the road.

Cheers and keep up the otherwise excellent work!
    Max

2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Also in the new UI installing/removing content is a hard thing to watch... Please try to improve the speeds, in the old UI launcher all was so much easy...

Hazi and philman like this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Isn't there a setting in Steam to disable auto downloads?

4. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

I wasn't talking about auto download, but auto subscription... ;)

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

ok, I'm not a Steam xpert, but doesn't stopping auto downloads prevent subscriptions too? If not, well, I continue to learn new things.!

6. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

I'm no expert either, but I understood auto download will keep your installations updated, which is welcome on my side.

Rui Santos likes this.
  7. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I think it makes sense to automatically subscribe every user to the free content.
    The first and in my opinion best reason is, that a new user shall get all content that is available for rfactor 2.
    If you were to sell something, you also wouldn't deliver only a part of it, would you? ;)

8. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

I'd prefer to get a check list about what is available, rather than automatically filling up my harddrives.

IMHO, especially new users should not be swamped with downloads, but available options.

If I had to wait a few hours strtung to install rF2 for the first time, I'd be seriously bummed...

pety100 likes this.
  9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Mine doesn't auto download new content.... it only subs to content I press subscribe to. But then.... I haven't pressed "follow" on Studio 397 on workshop so that may be your problem.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Try playing Lord of the Rings Online. Even with 100mb cable it took several days to download since my 'puter would go into sleep mode every few hours...

11. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

It does make for a weird first impression to download the game and then have it download its content, instead of having the content bundled and ready to go but, IMO, it's not really a big deal.

The problem for me is loading the game to have a casual quick race only to have to wait for it to install some mega/gigabytes of updates and there goes some 15 minutes that could be spent driving (I´m exagerating a little, but between the ui, updates and track loading, loading times in this game compound). The solution I'd like to see would be having the option -on startup- to either:
    a) install now whatever updates the game has auto-downloaded
    b) leave those updates for some other time and go straight to the game
    c) unsubscribe to the content right there if, for example, you don't care about stock cars
    But who knows if it would actually be possible.

yeah, what happened to multi-selection? un/installing each package one at a time makes Jack a dull boy :D

Rui Santos likes this.
  12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Mod manager still works and has the multi uninstall function. But if you uninstall a workshop mod it will reinstall itself unless you unsubscribe in workshop.

13. DracoTorre

DracoTorre Registered

Edit UserData / Launcher.config to change line, Disable Workshop Auto-Subscribe:True.

Uncertain if works with new UI.

Max Dralle likes this.
  14. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Sorry for my long absence, I've been buried with work...

Thanks for all your feedback, I'll have a look and try.

"Following" an author on Steam never resulted in an automatic subscription of newly released content, but the Disable Workshop Auto-Subscribe:True option was unknown to me and could be just what I need... :)

15. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Talking about double negation... :D

My Disable was set to False, now I just have to wait and see.

Thx DT!

16. pety100

pety100 Registered

Disable Workshop Auto-Subscribe:True is not working with the new UI.

17. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

I do find it really annoying on the odd occasion that rf2 has broken, either the player.json or something weird, and when i start again, I have to re enter my player and nick name......im auto subscribed again to old "rubbish" (sorry) that I dont want. Loads of it. I have to go back in and unsub from it and restart the game.

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Imagine if a new user downloads the game and there is nothing there.... how would they feel about their purchase?

People in this community are always harping on about "thinking of the new people".... well.... this is such an occasion when the content downloads so they don't have an empty game when they load up the first time and have to go hunting for content!

19. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

I understand your point, but pushing stuff that hasnt been updated since 2015 or earlier isnt going to do the game any favours an an advertisement for how good it can be.

pety100 and Rui Santos like this.
  20. pety100

pety100 Registered

Imagine if an existing user reinstalls the game and it starts to download and install 30GB content which should be deleted after its done.... how would they feel about their purchase? This should be optional choice or rFactor 2 should know if I'm a new user or just reinstalling the game. Like it worked with the previous UI with the Launcher.config line "Disable Workshop Auto-Subscribe:True". But Launcher.config is not working anymore, so we need a new solution then.