Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Magus

Magus Registered

@FormelLMS

I used to use Oculus Tray Tool and had it at 1.3.

If you go to Nvidia control panel - Help - System Information - scroll down to Bus: (near the bottom) you are definitely showing 'PCI Express x16 Gen3'?

Something definitely not right. On my new system if I run Aura (Asus RGB software), then VR FR is just a mess.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  2. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Has anyone got any comparison experience between a 1080ti and a 2080ti in VR?

3. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Is there any way to bring the UI menu further or make it smaller? I find it quite uncomfortable because it's too big and too close to my face

4. Magus

Magus Registered

I'm not sure if the same rules apply to the new UI but with the old UI the size was dependent on the resolution you set in the configuration settings. It was recommended to be set at 1920x1080, but nothing stopping you from going smaller if it is too big.

Kelju_K likes this.
  5. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Although this is for the new UI, the principle is the same for the Old UI - editing the configdx11.ini file.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....screen-scale-size-for-the-new-ui-in-vr.66439/

6. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Thanks guys, will try later :D

7. lagg

lagg Registered

It's not needed to change any file.
    You can change the resolution from the video settings.
    This resolution only affects to the UI. I use 1600*900

8. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

True, but the file change allows for more fine tuning. Thanks

lagg likes this.
  9. Pilot37

Pilot37 Registered

I upgraded from a 1080 to a 2080ti hoping that I would get a big increase in performance....and I can't say it has made a huge difference. I still wait and hope for VR optimisation. I test on Sebring and just can't get away from a stutter that makes me give up. I seem to wast a couple of hours a month trying to get good VR with nice graphics and then quit again.

Andy Bonar likes this.
  10. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Thanks for the feedback, that's helpful. I was contemplating getting a 2080ti if/when the prices come down when the 3080 is annnounced, but might be best waiting for the 3080 and probably saving up even more.....

11. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

Are you having issues specifically in RF2? Are you using a rift? Is AMS2 is VR working well for you? I have a 1080ti and I find VR in AMS2 to be very good in my rift. In RF2 it is not very good, so a better GPU could help, but it looks to me that it is more a case of bad VR implementation in RF2 since other sim are perfectly fine. We should be fine with the high end GPU we have.

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

It’s rfactor2. With my 2080ti I can run AC with ultra setting 80fps with my oculus S.

13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

True.

The main graphics engine optimization problems come from the racing conditions which are very poorly optimized :

Number and AI visible, 24H cycle and timescale, rain, clouds.

And yes, in this sense, the graphics engine of rF2 is very inefficient.

Of course, if you play with very little AI, no rain, and 12:00 PM (noon), the performance gets a bit closer to AC.

But rF2's graphics engine has never been rF2's strong suit, although the visual is getting better now.

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  14. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

VR in RF2 is functional, what I was replying to @Pilot37 is that he should not need the buy the ultimate GPU to run VR if he is fine in other SIM with better optimized VR.
    All we need, is to wait for S397 to help us with a better VR implementation.
    I am personally great full that we have VR in RF2, since I do not drive SIM who do not support VR. I just hope S397 will eventually get their VR to a better place.

15. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I think the main performance problem in VR doesn't depend on a better implementation of VR, but on what I said in the post above :

Poor graphics engine optimization (VR or not).

avenger82 likes this.
  16. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

I don’t understand why racing sims that are having performance problems in VR don’t implement DLSS?

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Priority, time to implement, time to test etc etc.

RF2 has actually had a few VR specific optimisation improvements since it's inception in the Sim, I personally did a lot of VR benchmarks on my old system (i5 with gtx970 and Rift CV1) and I saw a dramatic improvement in Frametime & ultimately FPS, in certain situations I was able to maintain 90fps on that setup eventually which was very good.

That's not to say it couldn't do with some more optimisation in the future, again Priority is key. New folks to the Sim perhaps don't see what went on before they arrived, needless to say there's been a lot of work in this area already.

As it is right now it works very well in VR once you find the right balance of settings.

18. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

I am actually quite happy with the performance in VR, but it would be nice to be able to turn a few things up a little:) 10700k, 2080

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes so am I on my setup, that was more a general comment to everyone not solely to you :)

20. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

With everything being relative, it all depend of what we compare with and what are the expectations. I know that my GPU can give me better vr because I have better vr in other title and I wish RF2 vr would be as good as those.
    Can I enjoy it as is? Certainly. The point was more that there is no need buying a better GPU, as the GPU is most likely not the issue, better optimization is more likely to be the solution.

avenger82 likes this.