Suck in first gear

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by INTEL48, Apr 15, 2014.

1. INTEL48

INTEL48 Registered

I have been learnig to create a vehicle mod for rf2, have been able to do a basic "box" car with all the basics, but for some reason, in DEV mode or single player, Mod seems to work fine, But AI will not get out of first gear and only travel around 90-100kph.....what am I missing, ............

2. MJP

MJP Registered

Not at my pc atm but IIRC in the engine file there's a threshold revs value for the auto gears to work. perhaps if the car isn't reaching those revs then the car won't change up. I think the AI use that value for their shifting, could try using auto gears on your car and see if it changes gear.

Sorry it's in the HDV file under the Controls section...
    Code:
    UpshiftAlgorithm=(0.985,0.0)        // fraction of rev limit to auto-upshift, or rpm to shift at (if 0.0, uses rev limit algorithm)
    DownshiftAlgorithm=(0.91,0.72,0.60) // high gear downshift point, low gear downshift point, oval adjustment

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
  3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I also suck in first gear

4. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

lol

ss

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

LOL :D

Sorry for reviving this. I have barely related issue. I am trying to get better control of AI downshifts.

I have set high downshift point to what is good for downshifting from top gear, and low gear for what is good to downshift to first gear, but what AI actually does is doing downshifts at about 2k lower revs than that... How is this happening ?? Also what is the oval adjustment ?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think a new thread would have been better, but anyway. Is the grip threshold interfering perhaps?

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have absolutely no idea. Right now it is 0.33, I have never touched that parameter. I suppose the lower the threshold value would be, the sooner the downshift could be then ? But I suppose it only should figure when wheels lock or car gets sideways or so... ?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I just saw it as another related parameter, so you could put it on 0 (or maybe 0.01 in case it needs a 'value', but probably won't) and if it still happens you know it's not causing it.

You aren't testing on a track that calls itself an oval? Presumably in that case the downshift revs are multiplied by that (because on ovals you tend to take a lot of speed into corners, and stay at lower revs rather than downshift and later upshift and interrupt the drive).

I haven't looked much at AI shifting behaviour, those parameters seem straightforward enough so not sure why they wouldn't be adhered to. But if they aren't there must be some reason.

mantasisg likes this.