Which video settings are GPU intensive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex72, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Driving at night i lose up to 20FPS and i see my GPU VRAM is maxed out. Does anyone know which settings have the most impact on the GPU? Thought i ask before i start hours of testing. Cheers.

2. Yigit Yusuf Mutlu

Yigit Yusuf Mutlu Registered

post processing effects, then soft particles

for vram, opponent detail with lots of opponent use huge vram, use high instead, and also even if you donot race in rain, rain high settings use average 1gb more vram and eat lots of fps too

for referance, in PIR, full graphics (only opponent on high) rain high, shadows high and shadow quality optimal, with 40 gte cars, pp on high and aa level on 5, vram usage is 6800mb, gpu usage maxes when leaving the garage and passing opponents garages in pits to the track, otherwise, i make 30 min race, 10x time acceleration, my gpu usage is max %60, vega56, i am limit my fps to 72 (75hz freesync monitor)

Alex72 and atomed like this.
  3. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thank you my friend. I will test the post processing effects. I have it on HIGH right now. I lowered it before but it didnt look good. If i play daytime and with little rain i keep 60FPS but a lot of rain or night time it drops. I dont understand lights in this title and other similar titles. Why does it drop performance when there are no shadows cast? Is it because lights are some sort of brightening of textures in real time that it takes a lot of juice?

4. Shadak

Shadak Registered

Definitely Post processing ... Not sure if its trying to render a lot of stuff outside of scene or something but my decent PC (on 1440p ultrawide) went from ~70fps to ~150fps just by going from Ultra to Medium post process.

Alex72 likes this.
  5. stonec

stonec Registered

Texture details is the easiest way to reduce VRAM usage along with opponent detail.

My old results from Le Mans (0 AI):

Full texture details: 3800 MB
    High texture details: 2700 MB
    Medium texture details: 2100 MB
    Low texture details: 2000 MB

pkelly and Alex72 like this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Does Post processing affect the graphics while driving? I thought it was more for replays and such. IF that is true, using low settings while driving shouldn't degrade the image. But if you do want some fancy screen shots, ramp up the PP, suffer the frame-rate hit, and then drop back down once you get the images you want.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  7. Yigit Yusuf Mutlu

Yigit Yusuf Mutlu Registered

Pp effects visible more in night racing, the track lights are visible much further
    Other than that, the bloom etc is more quality

8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@Alex72

2 settings to obtain the best performance/quality ratio depending on your PC.
    You can also find a "in between" depending on your preferences :

1) Relative high quality :

Post processing high vs ultra, shadow blur optimal vs quality, rain high vs ultra (very important, this parameter in ultra is the most poorly optimized in the game), opponent medium vs ultra, AA level 5, the rest in ultra.

If you need to lower more :

2) Less quality :

Post processing medium, shadow blur fast, shadow high vs ultra, rain medium, opponent low (VRAM and FPS), AA level 3 or 4, road reflection high vs ultra, special effects high vs ultra , soft particles off, circuit detail high vs ultra (VRAM).

For VRAM, avoid putting more than 30 opponents, by driving on dry you will save a lot of FPS, by not using the day/night cycle you will save a lot of FPS outside 10:00 AM and 05:00 PM.
    You can save some CPU performance by disabling the timescale.

9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Post processing is on while driving. Looks amazing on ultra and lights are really good looking and with more effect. I will test medium although i ran that before and it looks a bit boring. Will test textures down a notch as welll. Cheers guys.